RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Hostetler 33% Decathlon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/252861-hostetler-33%25-decathlon.html)

inthetrees 09-28-2002 06:50 PM

RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

1 Attachment(s)
different view

inthetrees 09-28-2002 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more :D

inthetrees 09-28-2002 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
still more

inthetrees 09-28-2002 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last one for now :rolleyes:

inthetrees 10-08-2002 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
work continues :)

Big_Bird 10-08-2002 02:38 PM

Jeff, I now have 10 photos in my 33% SD folder. Keep them coming.

Ken

inthetrees 10-12-2002 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
getting the wing saddle just right.....const. continues

inthetrees 10-12-2002 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic clearly shows F-16 are too short but we can work around this.......

inthetrees 10-15-2002 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
looking at F-15 wing saddle I am putting ply back to F5 following side view window outline to help support balsa for windows....

const. continues .......

inthetrees 10-15-2002 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
better pic.

Newflee 10-21-2002 02:09 AM

Hey Inthetrees. I see your making good progress. I have cut the parts for mine over a one day period and expect to frame up fairly quickly.
You posted on a different thread of mine that your cowl was from stan's fiberglass. I have contacted them at [email protected] and have been told that they offer only the SD pants but not cowls. Is there more than one stans around? If you have the address and Tel # of the place you dealt with, it would be great if you posted it.
I want to agree with the previous post about studying the plans but if you find a good starting point the rest starts to fall into place. I have not found any errors on any of the Hostetler plans that I have but you have to learn his "language" of drawing in order to fully absorb. He doesn't often repeat info entirely from view to view but if you keep looking you'll see that it all fits and makes sense. I usually spend a few evenings reading the plans thoroughly several times and then start cutting. Your pictures were also helpful.
You show that F16 is shorter than plan. How did this happen? Was this an error on the part of the kit cutter? Please elaborate. Also please let me know about the cowl. If I have to make my own cowl from scratch I'll just sell the 33% kit that I have cut and cut a new one at 40% for myself.

Big_Bird 10-21-2002 02:35 PM

Newflee, here is the reply that I received from stans on the cowl:

WH 9 cowl is $47.95 and pants WH10 $35.95 Thanks. Stan's

Here is the reply on the gear:

The 30% is WH7G and the 33% WH9G they are alluminum. Thanks. Stan's

You have the correct address.

When you go to their web site http://www.stansfibertech.com/ you will notice that the cowl is for a Citabria. I talked to Wendell Hostetler and he said that this is the one to use. It was a little confusing.

Ken

Newflee 10-21-2002 04:07 PM

Thanks Ken,
I will place my order. I guess Stan's and I had a miscommunication.
Oh bye the way have you ordered the above items and what do you think of quality? Do you think the LG is worth buying or making from sheet alum? I only ask because I have to make the same for a Hostetler 206 and 182 as well. I wouldn't bother buying the alum for one aircraft but three might make it worth while. What is your opinion? How about you Inthetrees?

Lee

Big_Bird 10-21-2002 05:32 PM

Lee, I haven't ordered the parts from Stans yet. From Jeff's first construction photo, the quality looks pretty good. I would really like a carbon fiber gear from the weight stand point if I can find one in the right size.

One thing that keeps bothering me is that the cowl that Stans sells is not for a Super Decathlon. Look at the photo of the red and white SD that Jeff (inthetrees) posted and you will see that the cowl on a SD is swept back from the spinner. Now look at the photo of the cowl that Jeff got from Stans and you will note that it is far less swept back in the front. This makes it a Citabria cowl as advertised on Stans web site. Even the photo on Hostetlers web site shows the Citabria shape on his SD. Maybe American Champion used some Citabria cowls on Super Decathlons. Also, maybe I'm making too much over nothing.

Ken

Newflee 10-21-2002 11:12 PM

Thanks Ken.
I agree that if your going to build a SD the cowl should be a SD cowl. The SD cowl enables you to use a larger spinner for the propper look. This is not a problem for me however as I always make a mold of my new FG parts so that I can replace them as needed. I will be able to adjust the new cowl lines before I pull a mold off it. I also add cowl lines and rivets into the plug for extra scale look. Perhaps you might want to wait a bit for a cowl and I will offer you an accurate design. I have plenty of scale documentation so it will be right. It's also posible that the stock Stan's cowl isn't too off. This I can post when I get one. I plan to order right away if they are in stock.
Just a side note: I am going to install flaps in my decathlon. I'll have to refer to my documentation as far as scale authority but I'm pretty sure they were available with them. In any event it doesn't matter to me as I want them for float flying.
Oh also I made my own composite gear for my nosen citabria from good quality glass and hobbypoxy. It worked great and the equivalent strength to alum at about half the thickness. I can tell you the proceedure if your interested or don't already know. Personally I'm not going to bother on the Hostetler because the full scale SD doesn't use it, and the lg will only be installed until it has been test flown and trimmed out. Then it's float time.

Lee

inthetrees 10-21-2002 11:19 PM

Hi all,

Yes F-16 is short on plans so the kit cutter cut it short but I just let it go --- leaving short end at bottom will not matter...I am pretty happy with quality of parts from Stans .....

I have a cowl I got from Ziroli for his Corsair I feel is a better quality part .

I will look at cowl closer but at this point I'm going with it..I figure it will not matter too much at 300 feet up !!!

I do not think the weight of alum. gear will make too much difference on this plane considering all up finished weight vs. scale ???

Jeff :)

Big_Bird 10-21-2002 11:25 PM

Thanks Lee, I'll hold off on the cowl until you decide what you are going to do.

I've looked at a lot of Super Decathlon's on the net and I haven't seen one with flaps.

Jeff, I have to agree with you on the quality of the cowl that Ziroli sells for the Corsair. You can see a few Corsair photos on my Gallery.

Ken

Newflee 10-21-2002 11:36 PM

I agree Inthetrees, the weight of the gear is not going to even be noticed. Also I found the composite gears I made to be strong but much more "springy" than alum. I imagine that CF would be stiffer than glass but were talking about a fairly heavy ship here - I'll use alum.

Ken, as far as the cowl goes I'll let you know as soon as I get one from stan's. If there are sugnificant mods it may be worth your while to get one from me but if they are minor you are better off getting one from Stan's (Canada/ US customs and all). I also would not feel comfortable selling a "copy" of Stan's cowl. Hold off for a couple weeks and I will let you know.

I'll also post my findings on the flaps issue tonight or tomorow.

Lee

inthetrees 10-23-2002 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of S D

inthetrees 10-23-2002 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics of cowls small one is for Goldberg 80" ws SD nice arf !
mid = Dynaflite 89" ws forgot whos but rough
big= Stans for 33% SD

Newflee 10-23-2002 02:21 AM

Nice pic. I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet but I'm leaning towards the blue/white and red that I've seen around (Hostetler's model and full scale). I have decided on the engine however, 3W80B2. Should go good. That wide cowl begs for a twin.
Haven't had a chance to look into the flap thing yet but you guys that want to be 100% scale (like myself somewhat) might consider building the wing with more scale aileron LE and hinges. The plan form are very basic and modelish.

inthetrees 10-23-2002 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oops pics wrong? gear/cowls/pants

inthetrees 10-23-2002 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more somethings

inthetrees 10-23-2002 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pic at F 5 shows triangle of balsa following shape of rear window at back edge to support window

Newflee 10-23-2002 02:34 AM

The good, the bad and the ugly.
Just kidding.
I can't tell from the photos which cowl is more accurate but I agree that the 33% is a Citabria cowl. All of them look a little off. I guess it is nit picking.
If anyone cares to wait a month or so I will offer them a true scale cowl. You can specify the duty (heavy to light) in epoxyglass.
Bye the way, how does the Stan's cowl fit at the Firewall/Fuse? Pretty clean and tight? This is another thing that I find I always have to adjust when I make a mold for reproductions.