RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   top flite p-51 giant scale build (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/4555292-top-flite-p-51-giant-scale-build.html)

andernamen 04-07-2009 05:21 PM

RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

Van,

Fortunately, I bought mine already built and didn't have nearly the amount of time into it Jan did. I have taken a look at it, after getting over the shock of losing it, and have decided to rebuild the wing, but am in no hurry. It broke in two at the center section and the wing panels are in decent shape. I'll have to order a few parts for it as well as the wing plans.

eric_monster 04-07-2009 10:31 PM

hey all,

been a bit since i was on here. A friend sucked me into the R/C car part of our hobby. He thinks I am too particular about all the mechanical details of the cars. I told him it is having come from the airplane side of the hobby.

I got my flap's LE shaped. Also got the firewall with my built-up engine mount completed and secured to the fuselage. Tomorrow, the engine will go on and I can get the top cowl started. And yes to everyone's dismay I am using the cowl from the kit. However, I am lining the inside of it with kevlar cloth. So I am not worried about strength and durability of it.

Also getting the final fitting of the horizontal stab done and hope to get it glued into place this week.

I hope to have some time to get work in on this thing this week. But my daughter is home all week for spring recess, and she mistakenly thinks that I am here for her entertainment. I have something entertaining for her... she can watch all my 30 minute epoxy dry!! HA HA HA!!

VanIsle Flyer 04-08-2009 10:54 PM

Hi Snare, I am happy to say my DL50 Fired up last night and man does it roar!! Very Cool. I have a question though, I noticed a couple of minutes into its run time the muffler was loose. As always when this happens I got that black liquid substance that must come from the aluminum vibrating together. I tightened the muffler cleaned the engine and then ran it for 5 or 10 minutes. Then I drained the tank and put it away for the night. When I started it today I noticed the residue on the ground was completly black after about 2-3 minutes of running.Is this normal? I am running agood 2 stroke oil 250ml-8L of gas or I figure about 30:1. The engine seem to run fine. I noticed a very slight amount of side to side out put shaft. As in I can grab the spiner and very slightly move it back and forth left to right up and down. Also I can't seem to get an accurate reading on my tach. Ihavn't brought the engine up beyond about 1/3 throttle. It starts very easily. I am very happy so far just don't know anything about the gassers so I want ask alot of questions. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

wws 04-09-2009 11:02 PM

Aerotech has been waiting for a sale to take place that started last fall, the money problems we are now confronted with have delayed this. I decided to make the most of this by revising some of the parts we made so they are less costley to make. The new gear doors will be vaccumed formed with the same rivet detail on the outside and the formed inner same as befor. There will be a piece of G 10 or 1/32 plywood sandwiched to create a three layer door that I feel will be as strong as the old one.
We will once again stock the 5' wheels for the P51
I have also revised all of our cockpit moulds, and all the interior urathane parts will be black in color so no painting of the will be nessary.
I am also working on a full turtle deck for the T.F. Mustang that will incorporate the sliding canopy.
Scale props an engines will also be stocked.
There will be a new person to handle the parts store, but I will be helping him for a while to get started and do R&D
Watch our web for further details
Iam still at the shop and the phone is still conected 612-721-1285
Wayne

GSNut 04-09-2009 11:39 PM

Thanks for the Update Wayne that is great News !
Will be watching your update for news on the coming items..

TA...

Cheers

GSNUT DinD

thisoldman 04-10-2009 07:33 AM

well im glad wayne is back at least for awhile.. now maybe i can get the parts i want from him. keep up the good work wayne.

VanIsle Flyer 04-10-2009 11:09 AM

Hi folks, does anybody have any pics or a discription of how they prevented the tail wheel from getting stuck in the well? Thanks

aghost 04-10-2009 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of small springs has worked for me. look closely on each side of the gear.

Brian

VanIsle Flyer 04-10-2009 06:54 PM

Thanks for the picture. It looks like a couple of pen springs?? I'll give it try. Thanks again for the help.

aghost 04-10-2009 09:21 PM

I think I got these at a hobby shop, but, yes, pen springs should be OK.

Brian

Snaer810 04-11-2009 09:28 AM

VanIsle,

Glad to hear you got the engine running. Depending on the Oil that your using you may see a bit more of the black oil running out the exhaust. This is normal though. I use the recommended Lawn Boy and it burns pretty good, but still get a bit of black oil residue. Remeber the oil you should be using should be a petroleum based oil so that the parts seat well. Synthetic oil is good after break-in.

Also make sure that you lock-tite all bolts including the muffler.

Have fun

Mike

VanIsle Flyer 04-21-2009 08:05 PM

Hey fellow flyers.

I just recieved my muffler from J'TEC for my DL50. As it did not come pre drilled and tapped with a nipple for the fuel tank pressure line I will have to do this myself. I was wondering if anybody else had this with there muffler and if so where they put the nipple?

rlemaster 04-21-2009 10:20 PM

Hey Flyer,

I'm fairly certain you don't need to pressurize your tank for the DL50. Gasoline engines use carbs that pump the gas into the engine rather than depending on pressure build up in the tank.

I am curious about this muffler. Can you tell me if, when mounted to the engine, the canister will fit between the head and the base of the standoffs? In other words, if I were to put the muffler on and the standard DL50 standoffs, would I be able to stand the engine up on those stand-offs without the canister hitting the surface the engine is sitting on?

Thanks,
Russ

VanIsle Flyer 04-21-2009 11:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I was starting to think along those lines but still wasn't sure. Can you tell me where to put the vent line comeing from the tank? "please be polite! LOL As for the muffler mine appears to be perfectly flush with the base of the stand off. So with the muffler mounted and the stand offs that where issued with the engine mounted and then stood on end on a flat surface the canister would just touch. I will post some pictures tomorrow night of my install. If you go back a few pages there are some pictures of another install with a J'TECH muffler. These are specificly made to fit inside the cowl of a top flight P51 using a DL50. And it does fit. The finish isn't perfect and there was quite a bit of rough weld immediatly inside the port making me think of the days guys used to port and polish ther chain saw engines to make them perform considerably better. All that being said, Thanks to J'TECH for making a muffler that makes our models look better.Thanks again for the help.

Jeff

rlemaster 04-22-2009 12:24 AM

Hi Jeff,

The vent line can actually be run pretty much anywhere that is convenient for you. I just bring mine down the firewall and have it exit the bottom of the cowling by making a elbo brace out of plywood (attached to the firewall set slightly away from the cowl) and securing the tip of the vent line through it. I let it protrude about 1/8" to 1/4" or so out the bottom. One helpful tip is to wrap the vent line around the tank horizontally (around the sides) once before bringing it down the firewall. By doing this, you won't have as many issues with fuel pouring out the vent line while not in flight. For example, if you just run it straight out the tank and down the firewall and you sit the plane so that it rests on the spinner (I know, who would do such a thing. :), fuel can run out and on to your cowl, etc. By wrapping around the tank once, the fuel is less likely to do this since it would have to travel upward.

I looked back and found a post by aviator2002. Are these the pics you were referring to?
From the looks of it that would fit perfectly for me so I'm excited now that I see that it should fit my setup.

Thanks,
Russ

VanIsle Flyer 04-22-2009 02:11 AM

Hey Russ,

Mmontella on page 47 are the pics I was refering too. The only thing I caution you on and it maybe only concerning me do to how I built is that I relized tonight I need ALOT of nose weight. Mmontella has his engine mounted right to the firewall from what I can see, and I would be interested in knowing if he had to add any weight. The reason I mention this is my engine is brought forward another inch or so by some additional stand offs. Tony Howard at Pacific Scale Models is offering these mounts for the DL50. The reason I mention this is that this mounbt brought my engine weight further forward and I still have to add ALOT of weight. I didn't think I over built to much and always considered the c of g. My model is glassed and painted and it is the first time I have done this so this could be the peoblem. I'm jhust saying bringing your engine forward wouldn't be a bad thing. Mine is at 8 1/8 from firewall to thrust washer. without balancing weight my plane weighs 23.7 Lbs. I am bringing the chunks of lead required to balance the plane to work tommorrow to weigh them. I'm guessing over a pound probably two!!! Very concerning. I'll post pictures tommorrow. Thanks again for your help with the vent line.

PS If you are going to order your muffler from J'TECH make sure you get the muffler for the P51 as they make other rap arounds for the DL DA 50 that wont fit in the cowl.

If anyone can tell me just how heavy this plane can be and still fly better then a brick I'd sure like to know.

aviator2002 04-22-2009 03:36 AM

Hi VanIsle Flyer

My Mustang came out in excess of 26 pounds but fly`s like a dream, I am pretty sure that I have seen mention upto 30 pounds weight for this model without problems.

thisoldman 04-24-2009 08:17 PM

my p51 on hold right now.. waiting on materials.. sliding canopy won't be in untill june. waitng on lights and some other things to get here. so will work on the ya p47 for right now.

VanIsle Flyer 04-24-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks for the forum dragon fly

GSNut 05-12-2009 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seldom Seen !

I noticed this while doing the walk around of the P-51D "Little Horse" an don't know if this was a retro fit of this aircraft or not. Is Not Little Horse but I had it in the same Computer File with Little Horse...

You be the judge but it maybe the answer to the difficult hinging of the inner door by using a straight single hinge pin.... I circled the little seen fuselage bump at the forward edge of the door. It looks like the forward end of the Wing Joining Fairing/Gusset ? (for lack of the proper name) !
GSNut

doublebs 05-12-2009 04:49 PM

hey vanisle, let us know how she flys!

Hawkflyer 05-18-2009 03:47 AM

Hi , I am just at the stage of getting ready to paint my mustang and am trying to work out where to put the switches.</p>

I am running two battery packs and switches plus the ignition switch an dont realy want to ruin the look of the plane by having them on display.</p>

I was thinking maybe of some sort of door or hatch on the side of the fueselage with the switches inside.</p>

Just interested to see what everyone else has done.</p>

Thanks Hawkflyer</p>

aviator2002 05-18-2009 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Hawkflyer

Here are a couple of pics which show my hatch for the switches, inside I have both smoke oil fill plus gas fill then smoke and radio switches. My engine is magneto ignition and so I have a killswitch which just shows though the rear of the cowl. As you can see the result is not really spoiling the look of the model and it gives easy access to the switches etc, the hatch is held down with small round magnets.
Hope this gives you some idea`s for your setup.

Hawkflyer 05-18-2009 11:44 PM

Hi  aviator, that looks good I think I will try something similar but perhaps on the side of the fueselage and maybe use a hatch latch rather than magnets.</p>

I will be doing the old boy scheme as well it looks good.</p>

Cheers Hawkflyer</p>

aaxiss 05-19-2009 01:29 AM

Hi guys, been following this thread for some time now.... Currently building the TF GSP51 kit . have the stab built and sheeted and just finished framing the wings (soon to be one wing ) . Planing on using a DL 55 with Jtec in cowl muffler. Waiting on my robart retracts to arrive so I can epoxy in the mounts and move on to the fuse.

I plan on making my own outer doors in fg and was wondering if amyone has any templates or links to some measurements. This is my first kit build since my CL days in the 70's. Been flying a 30%sukhoi and pancaked my 33% yak last weekend http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gif. Been wanting to start on this build for a while and now I have room LOL.

I'll try and get some pictures posted as I move along,