RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   top flite p-51 giant scale build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/4555292-top-flite-p-51-giant-scale-build.html)

eric_monster 11-02-2009 11:04 PM

RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

Though I like to think I have mad building skills, I know that I am not that good and that detailed. I am planning to use the DBalsa cockpit kit. It has a lot of detail, and all I have to do it assemble, paint, and install. But I better make up my mind soon, as I am nearing the point of needing to put the cockpit in.

easyschnucki 11-15-2009 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: DAKOTANOVASS

I am hoping someone that has installed aerotech models inner gear doors can answer my question. I built my own fiberglass outer gear doors and wondering what some of the measurements are for the inner doors. I am hoping they will fit as they are still available from Aerotech.

Terrell
He DAKOTANOVASS

How many layers f-glass do you used to make this doors. (see your post #1216)
I am in the process to do the same but my testobject with 3 layers of 2.5oz fglass is just too flexible for some reason.

Thanks for your advice
-Sven-

harryrc 11-29-2009 09:10 AM

Tony: Did you ever proceed with the 1/5 TF P 51 engine mounts kit and are they available for purchase?
Harryrc

tony-howard 11-29-2009 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm almost ready to market a line of motor mounts that are for the Top Flite GS Mustang as well as other planes. I have a prototype Evolution / MVVS 58cc that I should have pictures for in a few of days and I have mounts for the DA / DL 50 engines. Hopefully others will follow.

The mounts can be used with or without stand off and the stand off cut to any length. The kits will be very complete and for engines with backplate mounts they will not normally requre the use of auxillary stand-off's. I should have some preliminary information up on my website by tomorrow.

What engine are you using? (the attached picture is the Evolution mount)

harryrc 11-29-2009 06:10 PM

Tony: Glad to hear your still producing - I'm planning on using a DLE 55. In the interim I found your website and also liked the look of your new TF GS P 51 cowl with the thrust line moved. Have you got a price for that yet?
Harryrc

tony-howard 11-29-2009 06:52 PM

The TF cowl has been delayed so long I can't remember when it was started! The last delay this year was the result of a medical problem which created a toxic reaction to resins that has not gone away completely even thought the suspected cause has been taken care of. That effectively takes me out of production layup.

As a result Ijust recently made contact with an experienced fiberglass fabricator who now has my plugs. It will take him a while to make his own style molds and then produce a prototype cowl for me to finalize the engine hatch and air filter cover locations on for him. Shortly after that we should be ready to start turning them out.

There is a rather large list of interested builders for the cowl. Many have probably gone on ahead (and I don't blame them). When production starts I'll offer the cowls to those on the list, the oldest first. So how long it will take to work thru the list is anyone's guess. About the best I can offer is to put you on the list if you think you might be interested and update you on progress. There's no obligation if you do that.

Kits sent to those on the list will be $125 + actual shipping and will include the air filter covers, an exhaust manifold kit, hardware such as for hatch mounting and comprehensive instructions. When everyone on the list has a cowl, I'll review my expenses and see if I can continue that price or not.

Needless to say I'm excited to see the cowl project finally moving forward again.

I'll PM you about the mount.

Thanks,

eric_monster 11-29-2009 11:30 PM

I hope you are feeling better Tony. I got the scale exhaust and intake covers from you last year. I am just now getting ready to work on them. But they are absolutely top notch.

Eric

Cobra_03 11-30-2009 02:27 AM

ORIGINAL: tony-howard

The TF cowl has been delayed so long I can't remember when it was started! The last delay this year was the result of a medical problem which created a toxic reaction to resins that has not gone away completely even thought the suspected cause has been taken care of. That effectively takes me out of production layup.

As a result Ijust recently made contact with an experienced fiberglass fabricator who now has my plugs. It will take him a while to make his own style molds and then produce a prototype cowl for me to finalize the engine hatch and air filter cover locations on for him. Shortly after that we should be ready to start turning them out.

There is a rather large list of interested builders for the cowl. Many have probably gone on ahead (and I don't blame them). When production starts I'll offer the cowls to those on the list, the oldest first. So how long it will take to work thru the list is anyone's guess. About the best I can offer is to put you on the list if you think you might be interested and update you on progress. There's no obligation if you do that.

Kits sent to those on the list will be $125 + actual shipping and will include the air filter covers, an exhaust manifold kit, hardware such as for hatch mounting and comprehensive instructions. When everyone on the list has a cowl, I'll review my expenses and see if I can continue that price or not.

Needless to say I'm excited to see the cowl project finally moving forward again.

I'll PM you about the mount.

Thanks,
Tony I just picked up a TF ARC and I'm getting ready to start sanding and glassing. Would you happen to have any done for the "Monroe Swapmeet" in February of 2010? If so put me on the list!

-Todd

tony-howard 11-30-2009 12:51 PM

Todd, I wish I could say.

The fabricator has other committments in addition to my project. And the holiday season will be here soon. So I don't have a clear idea as to when the new molds will be done or how fast he'll be able to turn out cowls.

I sorry I can't give you a better answer. I do appreciate your interest.

tony-howard 12-04-2009 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you who are going to - or may be considering - using the Evolution 58cc engine, here are a couple of pictures of an installation using the new mount. The installation was done by Tom Connell who specified the distance he wanted the engine to be spaced away from the firewall and the stand-off's were cut to that dimension.

The ability to customize the engine spacing is one of the advantages of these mounts. Another is the use of drilled mounting bolts that can be safety wired before running the engine to prevent loosening or worse.

(I'm having a devil of a time finding a single source for drilled 1/4-20 and 10-24 socket head cap screws in various lengths and in box quantities. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.)

dasintex 12-04-2009 08:18 PM

Bolts:

http://www.mcmaster.com

http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/index.html

http://www.boltdepot.com/

tony-howard 12-04-2009 08:40 PM

Thanks.

Unfortunately I've already looked at all of those sources and none appear carry a full range of drilled socket head bolts, expecially in the longer lengths I need. I've spent a couple of hours or more Goggling, trying to find a single source. 4" 1/4-20 as well as 2" and up 10-24 sizes seem to be ellusive in 100 box lots. Tomorrow I'm going to try drilling one in my shop. One would think a 1/16" hole in a hardened bolt might be a problem, but who knows?

I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

aaxiss 12-04-2009 09:47 PM

not going to happen as far as the drilling goes unless you have a good supply of diamond or possibly tungsten bits. The Problem is that the bolts have gone through the hardening process and are most likely ASTM A574 spec or better with a rockwell hardness in the C39-C45 range which means carbide, tungsten or diamond cutters.

you have 2 options as far as bulk quantities go ...

buy all the bolts you think you will need and have them annealed ( softened ) then drill them all and have them re hardened or place a special order directly from the mfg. ( probably very expensive )

the annealing route is the way I would go as you can have them all fired at once and then bring them back to your shop and drill then have them all heat treated and hardened at the same time. Just Google for heat treating places and get some quotes and make some calls.

Zeeb 12-05-2009 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: tony-howard

(I'm having a devil of a time finding a single source for drilled 1/4-20 and 10-24 socket head cap screws in various lengths and in box quantities. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.)

In general, the only place you'll find lots of drilled bolts is if you go to AN hardware for full scale aircraft use.

Several problems with that route; they are SPENDY, you won't generally find them hardened to any great degree, even if you do find socket heads the vendor isn't likely to have many of them as just sitting here right now and thinking about it, I can't remember ever using a socket head bolt with a castle nut but it's been awhile since I worked on full scale and I'm getting old.....:)

While I've not mounted a huge number of gas engines, my preference is a T-nut (blind nut) backed up with a fiber or steel locknut. All you do is use bolts about 1/4" longer.

tony-howard 12-12-2009 04:06 PM

Don and Zeeb:

I appreciate both your replies and concur (I was planning to try the drilling with a carbide bit btw). But after thinking about it, drilling is too expensive and would just drive the kit cost up.

I've contacted a local bolt warehouse and asked them to look into sources they can access. Preliminary indications are somewhat encouraging although they too are running into minimum order requirements.

As an aside, I'm finally learning after a few years producing kits not to assume that any given component will be a slam dunk! Who knew that a 4" drilled head socket head cap screw would be a problem? Fortunately only a couple of kits need that length.

Thanks again.

thisoldman 12-12-2009 10:36 PM

has anyone tried anything besides flite metal.. would like to have the alum look but not in flite metal.

roelvliegen 12-13-2009 04:52 AM

Does anybody has a copy (or digital PDF) from the drawing from the Topflite P51 giant scale). I lost mine during my moving

DLEVETT 12-13-2009 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: thisoldman

has anyone tried anything besides flite metal.. would like to have the alum look but not in flite metal.
I,m going to try Alclad aluminum paint. I was able to source various shades in 4oz containers.
By all accounts its a very accurate aluminum based paint source used by alot of serious static scale modellers.
I got mine at Great Models.com

Dave

eric_monster 12-18-2009 11:24 AM

How much did you all contour the LE of the rudder? For the life of me I can't reduce the gap between the rudder and the fin.

Thanks,

Eric

harryrc 12-19-2009 11:27 AM

Anyone know if there are reports of any engine cooling problems with the DL50/DLE55 motor in the TF GS P51 aircraft? It looks like a good match for this model and might fit within the cowl but then cooling might be an issue. Anyone got the scoop on this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Harry

edmoor 12-19-2009 01:16 PM

them bolts can easily be drilled out......with a good hss drill......keep the rpm down.....heat is your enemy.....

Leroy Gardner 01-01-2010 10:19 PM

You build the fuse yet?. I have the main building of mine done, Made some changes to top foward deck Firewall to former F4, its removable. My DLE55 is a whole pound lighter than the US engines 41cc the plane was planned around. I needed to get weight foward of C.G.. With a full cockpit it dosen't leave much room for anything short of craming electronics around fuel tank and adding more weight to fire wall. Built some cool manifolds also. If intrested I have photos,I need my son to come over and help me post them here.Leroy

Leroy Gardner 01-06-2010 11:47 PM

Hi Harry, I'm putting the DLE 55 in my T.F. 1/5 scale P-51D gold kit, plane is built, I'm working on prepping and other small details to paint it. Engine fits in cowl just fine, the in cowl muffler also. I had Jtec build muffler, also fits the D.A.50. Most cooling problems are a result of discharge air area being to small. Alot of guys are using 62 cc's with no problems when installed right. Jtec radiowave advertizes in Model Aviation and are on the web at www.jtecrc.com Leroy

harryrc 01-07-2010 07:02 AM

LeRoy many thanks for the info and I'd be interested in the photos you mentioned earlier.
Harry

Leroy Gardner 01-14-2010 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To Harry and all intrested builders. I finally figured out how to post pics. of changes to foward deck, manifolds I built and drill out the rudder and skin it?. Tubes in manifolds will go in after paint and detailing. I think they'll look pretty neat.;) I used the top shroud from kit, cut and shaped filler from dense 1/4" balsa and drilled the 1/2" tube holes with forsner bit at 52 degrees at about 7 degrees off 90 degrees in my drill press. It's not that hard to do. The foward top deck being removable creates a large area for batteries, ignition, regulators and such and you dont have to take the wing off to access them.