RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/4987146-buiding-33%25-waco-ymf-5-barth-modellbau.html)

redcesar 04-03-2007 01:02 PM

RE: Buiding pics Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bernie,

I ordered them at Engel Modellbau, the nr. is EM1040.175 and they are 175 mm in diameter.

They fit exacly in the wheel pants.

They come with two bearings 8mm diameter. I made a spacer to 6mm, the size of the axles.

Cesar.

redcesar 04-03-2007 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I mounted the cowl to the fuse with standoffs made from wood.

I have put a rubber pad on the end of the standoffs to protect the cowl for wear, and for the tread I put in a insert with M4 tread. Then i can mount the cowl with Allen screws or Nylon.

redcesar 04-06-2007 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am once more busy with the scale stitching on the wings I have done the following.

I first put a litle strips of glue, aliphatic resin, on top of the covering on the capstrip. (see photo)

After a day drying i put on the tapes, pinkingtape. (zackenband from Toni Clark).

After the paint job you do not see the shine of strips pinkingtape anymore, and i hope that it is a litle bit scale look.

I am going to use the pinkingtape also, i have got it in differend sizes, on other places were the covering material have a overlap.
And and on the leading edge of the wings.

Cesar.

BigBoy99 04-11-2007 11:43 AM

Hi Ruud,

sorry, but I was the last week very busy with my job.....puuh, so much work!

Now we preparate for our holidays, and when we land back in munich, I will take home my Waco

directly from Peter Barth in Feldkichen- near by Munich.

Thanks for the info about the weels, it are the same, that I prefere to use. I will order them at lindinger.at for 34€ the pair.

It looks very good,your scale stitching, but what is aliphatic resin? I try´d it with the translator, but the result was zero.

Thank you for the mail with the link for your bulldog Pitts, I know this video, I saw it in the net. A very beautiful plane, and it

looks very pretty and very fast. I see, you are a professionel modeler, great compliment.

After our holidays, I have to save a "little bit" money for the engine of the Waco, a Moki 250ccm 5 cylinder Star.

At first I choosed the 215ccm, but the new 250ccm is 100g lighter than the 215ccm and has endless power...but....it cost´s a little

bit more, I think, after ordering this engine, my wife will put me in to the sanatory....ha! :):):)

Vriendelijke groeten

Bernie

redcesar 04-13-2007 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Oke , have a verry nice holyday Bernie and bring back the Waco than you can show me some pictures from your holiday and from your Waco......

The glue that i am mean stands on the pic.

The Moki is a magnificent engine and be a good fit on the Waco. Yes it was also my first choice but the price have hold me back.

I am curious for the first pictures of your engine and maybe a small video clip on the test stand.

Once again have a nice holiday.

Schöne Grüße aus Rotterdam
Cesar

skylarkmk1 04-19-2007 10:15 AM

Cesar, Bernie and the rest,

Thought you may be interested in the following as you are building WACOs. Not all of the details have been worked out, especially for the overseas orders, but they are being worked on.

Guys,

We are in the process of taking orders for the Waco Brotherhood T-Shirts over in the Build thread in the Vintage and Antique forum. These shirts are gorgeous, and are being done on a not for profit basis. Have a look. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...80/key_/tm.htm Post # 1999 (next to last on the page).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

The WACO Brotherhood was formed in September of 2006 in conjunction with the renewed interest in the Pica WACO YMF kit. There are no dues or anything formal about the Brotherhood, just have a liking of WACO aircraft. Post a request to join on the RCU, Vintage and Antique, WACO YMF thread and Bill (WACO Brotherhood #1) aka stickbuilder will add you to the list and give you a number.

You have a great thread going here Cesar. I am building the 1/6th version of the Pica YMF kit from plans (don't have the room for any thing bigger). You and Bernie and the rest of you keep up the good work.

Stickbuilder 04-25-2007 05:42 PM

Cesar,

Please contact me via PM or e-mail. I need your address so that we can get your shirt to you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

redcesar 04-26-2007 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not yet finished but...

I have got a photo from the dashboard and scale it to the right size and print it on a color printer. After that i glue it on a piece of abs and folded on the right place.

Cesar.

redcesar 05-05-2007 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This week I painted the wings, stab, rudder wheelpants cabane struts and cowl.
Now I am busy with the decals, red on black for the pin stripe.

Cesar.

gerry52 05-07-2007 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rudy Cesar,

After months I’d finally browse trough the complete topic of your Waco project. I’m really ashamed for the poor progress I accomplish on my ¼ scale YMF 5. I even can’t remember if I did upload the pics of my Waco project. As you know by now, I took over the second hand 3W-80XI engine from our both good friend and modelling mate. It will probably supply more power then I (or even the plane) can handle. Unfortunately it will be about 4cm larger (including sparkplug) then the cowl can accept. Anyway it’s still a great engine which can power a variety of other planes on my list.

Attached some pictures of the early stage in which my 25% YMF 5 Barth project is. Somehow I be sure you’ve already seen them 

Tot gauw en keep up the good work…

BigBoy99 05-08-2007 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cesar,

back from the Maldives, and it where beautiful holidays!

And now I´m a proud owner of a waco kit......I´m so happy. I told regards to Peter Barth from you, he was very pleased about it.

There are some changes now, the landing gear is a little bit stronger and has a fiber-glass coating, the stab is now pretenable, the fuselage-built

is a little bit otherwise, fiber-glass coating for the tail-wheel, the N-Struts ar more scale.

I´m a little bit astonished about the size of the plane, such a big plane...wow! If I got the cowl for first time in my hands, great!!!!!!

Best regards

Bernie

skylarkmk1 05-08-2007 02:40 PM

BB99, and others,

Take a look at post 2251, page 91 of the WACO YMF thread in Vintage and Antique. I posted some shots of a YKS tail wheel (nearly indentical to the YMF). The YKS is being restored at the Creve Coeur Airport, near St. Louis, MO and home of the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum http://www.historicaircraftrestorationmuseum.org/ . They have 10-12+ WACOs in the Museum and a few more in private hangers at CCA, but currently do not have a YMF or UMF. Nearly all the museum aircraft are in flying condition or are being restored to fly.

redcesar 05-09-2007 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great to hear you have had a fine holiday Bernie and with the extra bonus a nice Waco.

I have study the pictures and indeed there are several improvements to discover in the kit.

The landing gear is a good improvement, Socalsal has all ready say to me to make it a litle bit stronger in the same location of the new one.
And the fairings that came with it are verry nice.
I think the fuse is now a lot easyer to build because the the formers are now equiped with the notches for the stringers, yes its looks verry good to me.

What do you mean with the stab pretenable? Abbaubar vielleicht.

Here everything is painted so i am now busy with the stripping on the stab and wings.

Cesar.

BigBoy99 05-09-2007 02:33 PM

No Ruud,

you can adjust the stab in the front with a plastic screw, a few grades up and down. I consider, to make
it electric by a small DC-gearmotor. Now the stab is more scale- there are only two pipes goeing in to the
fuselage from the stab. Exactly the way, I have planned it before in this thread, but I had misgivings because
the stability, but I forgot, the stability of the stab comes by the flying-wires.

Friendly regards

Bernie

Stickbuilder 05-10-2007 07:50 AM

Big Boy,

I know that my model is smaller, but I have my horizontal stabilizer adjustable (using a servo) and you can see how I did it in the WACO YMF thread in the Vintage and Antique forum. Just page back about 10 or so pages, and I have some good photo's of the modification. I limited my travel from -2 degrees to +4 degrees. You might get some good ideas from this thread.

Regards,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

chuck l 05-10-2007 10:42 PM

I finally got to maiden my quarter scale Barth Waco today; the good news is it is still in one piece. I came very, very close to losing her. Eased in the power, down the runway she went, and then she did a sharp left hand turn, bouncing across the grass until I got her airborne, pass me the toilet paper please. The problem was caused by springs used on the tail wheel pull/pull being just too soft. The torque of the motor pulled her to the left while the tail wheel was still on the ground and there wasn’t enough airspeed for the rudder to have any effect. Once the speed built up she tracked fine. It took about four clicks of aileron and one on the elevator for trimming.

She flies nice, although I’m not used to anything that can fly that slow, or maybe the size of it makes it appear slow like a 747. Landing was a little tricky because the idle was set a little too high, high enough to keep her flying. The G62 seems like more than enough power, but I will be able to tell more on the next flights when my thumbs aren’t as nervous. Flew at about 1/3 stick position.

I’m looking for opinions on two options I’m thinking of to get positive control on the tail wheel. First, I can take out the springs on the tail wheel which would give me positive tail wheel authority but would leave the overly responsive tail wheel as is. It has about a four foot turning radius even though the control arm holes are set at the inner most hole on the servo arm and on the outer hole on the tail wheel. This could shorten the life of the rudder servo. Second, I could install a separate tail wheel servo and not use springs. This would allow me to set up the tail wheel tracking and turning radius.

redcesar 05-11-2007 02:38 AM

Hi Chuck,

Congratulations with your maiden. Yes I am a 4-5 weeks away from the maiden but if I think about it brrrrr.

What you say about the high idle is for the first flight not so bad i think.
It is better to make the landing, with a large bi-plane with a lot of drag with a little bit pulling from the engine.

For the tail wheel, try first stronger springs. Direct control is not so good for the servo i think.
Maybe if you now the behavior of your plane a little bit better the take of go also better.

Cesar

pif47 05-11-2007 05:22 PM

Hi REDCESAR, this is most beautiful waco that I saw! where do you have to buy the kit of this plane? I to do one well of them!!

RCWalker 05-12-2007 04:09 AM

Hi Cesar,

It is really enjoyable of reading your Waco YMF-5 building thread. Thank you for sharing, Cesar ;)

I received the 1/4 Scale Waco YMF-5 kit from Mr. Peter Barth about a month ago. After checking all parts in the box, plans and reading throughout the manual, I have to admit that this is the most complete kit I have ever had in terms of quality, accuracy.

I will start the build very soon but need to study a little bit more about making functional front cockpit and door and possible chance of converting to YMF-5C Super version.

Wallace J. Kao

BigBoy99 05-12-2007 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cesar and all others,

I can just confirm, what RCWalker posted, I have to admit that this is the most complete kit I have ever had in terms of quality, accuracy and completeness

It was it worth, to wait 5 month, to get this kit in my hands. Compliment to Peter Barth!

Here the results after 7 ours work

redcesar 05-12-2007 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

pif47,
thanks! Look here for the Waco http://www.fmbb.de/

Wallace,
A friend of my is building also the 1/4 scale Waco and indeed it is verry complete. Keep us informed about the building progress.

Hi Bernie,
Woh, and that in a few hours, your a fast builder. It looks verry good Bernie, and I notice that the wings come with nice ribs. Peter has a lot of improvement done on the kit.

This week i put on the engine and today I assembled the plane in the livingroom for checking the SG and making the flying wires.
The SG is precisely on the correct spot with the 2 x 5x2400 mA placed on the SG and the weight is 18,5 KG. I am verry happy with that.

Not yet finished but here some pictures....

Cesar.

SoCalSal 05-12-2007 03:03 PM

Ruud, you do GREAT work!! I like what you did to this Waco....Looks so nice. Good Luck on the first flight..

ORIGINAL: redcesar

Hi all,

pif47,
thanks! Look here for the Waco http://www.fmbb.de/

Wallace,
A friend of my is building also the 1/4 scale Waco and indeed it is verry complete. Keep us informed about the building progress.

Hi Bernie,
Woh, and that in a few hours, your a fast builder. It looks verry good Bernie, and I notice that the wings come with nice ribs. Peter has a lot of improvement done on the kit.

This week i put on the engine and today I assembled the plane in the livingroom for checking the SG and making the flying wires.
The SG is precisely on the correct spot with the 2 x 5x2400 mA placed on the SG and the weight is 18,5 KG. I am verry happy with that.

Not yet finished but here some pictures....

Cesar.

BigBoy99 05-12-2007 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ruud,

I need your opinion, I want to built the drive of the ailerons scale like on the photo, that means, it will be at

the beginning of the aileron and not in the middle. I have the misgiving, there is a lot of torsion on the aileron.

But I must decide the servo position now........what do you think about it?

Bernie

skylarkmk1 05-13-2007 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BB99,

It can be done. Mike Barbee did it on his Top Gun 33% Genisis YMF (I know this is a Barth thread). See pictures of it On the WACO YMF thread in Vintage & Antique starting with post 2164 on page 87. Here are a few photos of full size ailerons to help. Note the control linkage is bent in the first photo and straight in the forth photo, depends on the plane.

redcesar 05-13-2007 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: BigBoy99

Hi Ruud,

I need your opinion, I want to built the drive of the ailerons scale like on the photo, that means, it will be at

the beginning of the aileron and not in the middle. I have the misgiving, there is a lot of torsion on the aileron.

But I must decide the servo position now........what do you think about it?

Hi Bernie,

I have tried to bend the aileron for torsi but oke it bend a litle bit but not to much I think.
so i think that you can go for it.
But above all it is important that you make a solid connection point on the aileron. I dont no if the wood inside the aileron is enough solid to attach there your ball link.

Cesar.