RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/4987146-buiding-33%25-waco-ymf-5-barth-modellbau.html)

vasek 06-11-2007 03:30 PM

RE: Buiding pics Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: BigBoy99

I need photos of the rear cockpit, with all -Stick, pedals, handgears, so the whole cockpit.
Can anybody help me?

RCWalker 06-11-2007 07:25 PM

Thanks Cesar,

I'll write to Mr. Peter Barth for more information. Thanks!

Wallace J. Kao

BigBoy99 06-14-2007 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

some news of my waco:

The wings are nearly ready and I started with the fuse. And I realized, you have to consider very much more, than by the wings.

But all fits, and if not, you realize it , if not immediately......but than later.

I´m so glad, that I started with te wings, because it´s important, to get the middle-parts of it to build the fuse.

But look to the photos, they say more than words!

Best regards from southern Germany

Bernie

redcesar 06-14-2007 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bernie,

That looks verry nice your building activities and a lot different with the one i have build. Verry interesting to look at the differ between your Waco and the one i have build.
Peter have done a good job to improve the kit that is for sure.

Fore comparison a few pictures of the Waco fuse a few years back.

Do you have already make a choice for the engine you put on?

Keep up the pictures Bernie I am watch them with pleasure.

Regards,
Cesar.

SoCalSal 06-14-2007 04:10 PM

Hi guys,

some news of my waco:

The wings are nearly ready and I started with the fuse. And I realized, you have to consider very much more, than by the wings.

But all fits, and if not, you realize it , if not immediately......but than later.

I´m so glad, that I started with te wings, because it´s important, to get the middle-parts of it to build the fuse.

But look to the photos, they say more than words!

Good Job Bernie!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see all the improvements in the kit since I built mine. You will have a much easier time building this kit compared to mine.

Steve

Best regards from southern Germany

Bernie

BigBoy99 06-14-2007 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: redcesar

Hi Bernie,

Do you have already make a choice for the engine you put on?
Hi Ruud,

it will be definitely the Moki 250ccm, I know, it´s too much power. But I have the same opinion than Steve,
the noise will be reduced much, when you fly only with half throotle.
Peter Barth told me, this engine is no problem for the Waco, and the 250ccm is 100g lighter than the 215ccm.

The Waco is my first model, I built since 30 years and I must deliberate and study the plans a lot of, to make no mistakes.
My Bücker Jungmann was an ARF model.

Today I have to clean up my workshop, it looks like after an explosion, ha ha.

Regards

Bernie

BigBoy99 06-17-2007 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

today again alittle report from building the Waco 1/3 from Peter Barth,

now is the maingear and tailgear mounted, also the struts for the upper middle part, it was a lot of work, to align it exact

in the right angle(1°-), but with the help-gadget it finally works.

Also you can see the main gear, it´s stronger now, than the old version.

Next step is, to glue the lower middle part in to the fuse, but before this, I have to install the connectors for the servos

and the landing lights.

Regards to all,

Bernie

redcesar 06-17-2007 04:14 PM

Good work with the "help gadget" Bernie. Always straight on this manner.

Today I have tested for the first time the engine on the club and all wend well. Also check the SG for the last time, I can put now the batterys on the right spot in the fuse.

I'am waiting now for a good day concerning the weather situation for the maiden.

Cesar.

BigBoy99 06-18-2007 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ruud,

I cross my fingers for your maiden and hope, all will be good[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

It´s just such a moment, after the whole work, that gives you a wonderful feeling, when the plane takes of the first time.

It´s the wage you get, for all the ours, you´ve worked in your cellar.

Today I finished the cable work in the lower middle part, and now i can glue it in, for the first time the fuselage and

the wings found together and I´m impressed about the plane!!!!!! It´s such big..wow!!!

But see self:

Regards

Bernie

Cybertom 06-18-2007 04:00 PM

redcesar,

Please have somebody there with a good video camera on that day. I'm sure everyone one here wants to see what it was like when she flew for the first time.

redcesar 06-18-2007 04:04 PM

Yes I'am waiting for a good day for the weather but I'am also collecting a litle bit courage..

Yes if you build it up for the first time it is indeed a big plane.

You are a quick builder Bernie, only just 5 weeks ago the plane was just a lot of pieces on your table and look now, maybe August the maiden? ha ha ha ha....

Cesar.

stifts 06-18-2007 08:57 PM

Bernie, Great building job! I can not wait until the next installment. You and Redcesar certainly produce beautiful airplanes!
Redcesar,Good Luck on your first flight. I have a question.... what documentation does the Barth kit come with? Does it contain
3 views and color photos? I guess the kit is of the original YMF-5 and not the Classic Aircraft Corp. YMF Super - correct. Keep up
wonderful work. Steve

skylarkmk1 06-18-2007 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

If you can find a copy of the Historic Aviation Album YMF drawings by Paul Matt (NC 14031, the Pica Kit subject), they would be a start on your documentation for an orginal YMF and the newer YMF Classic by WACO Classic Aviation. The YMF Super is longer and wider and would require new drawings, formers and such. I just returned from the 2007 American WACO Club Fly-In at Creve Coeur Airport and only 1 YMF was there. I did take over 100 photos of NC 14081 (a 1987 YMF Classic, ser # F5-009), both flying and on the ground. In the 1st photo, note the rectangular exaust ports at the bottom rear of the cowl.

SoCalSal 06-18-2007 10:43 PM

Steve very good photos and thank you for them. I looked at them for a few seconds and saw something strange to me............. I then spoted the spinner. I have never saw that type of spinner on a Waco before. Not bad.............just different.
SoCalSal Brotherhood #46
AKA>Steve as well

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Steve,

If you can find a copy of the Historic Aviation Album YMF drawings by Paul Matt (NC 14031, the Pica Kit subject), they would be a start on your documentation for an orginal YMF and the newer YMF Classic by WACO Classic Aviation. The YMF Super is longer and wider and would require new drawings, formers and such. I just returned from the 2007 American WACO Club Fly-In at Creve Coeur Airport and only 1 YMF was there. I did take over 100 photos of NC 14081 (a 1987 YMF Classic, ser # F5-009), both flying and on the ground. In the 1st photo, note the rectangular exaust ports at the bottom rear of the cowl.

redcesar 06-19-2007 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I saw also the spinner. I have heart that a spinner give a better airflow and therefore a better cooling for the engine.

I have got in spare a nice carbon spinner 120mm which i have not yet cut out. I make several pictures, the one I put temporarily on front is already cut out. But I can paint the spinner in the same color as the plane or use the carbon one.

What is your opinion.....

no spinner

the carbon spinner

or the painted spinner in the same coler as the fuse.

I'am curious what you guys think of it.

Regards,

Cesar.

skylarkmk1 06-19-2007 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cesar, Bernie,

Here are a couple of pictures of the spinner and main gear on NC 14081. I'll let you guys decide whether to use the spinner or not. The gear on this plane is a little different than a 1930s era plane in that the inner gear struts attach to the upper section of the oleo, where the original attached to the lower section closer to the axel. I am also posting more pictures of the Fly In over in the WACO YMF thread in Vintage and Antique forum here on RCU.

vasek 06-19-2007 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

I'll let you guys decide whether to use the spinner or not.
my vote goes to the wooden prop with logo & metal cladding >no spinner

vasek 06-19-2007 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot to post the pics...[&:]

BigBoy99 06-19-2007 02:25 PM

Hi all,

this is the first Waco YMF I saw with a spinner, it get´s something, but it would not be my thing.

I vote same like Vasek, the wooden prop with logo & metal cladding looks best!

@Cesar
Don´t you have some photos of your first rollout?

I have made a mistake with my Waco, that means, I´ve forgot to install the wire inside the upper middle-part.
It should be placed direct on the screw of the front mounting point, and now all is planked! Uff, I´m so angry about me[sm=angry_smile.gif]
What do you and all others think, can I mount it outside of the middle part?

Bernie

redcesar 06-19-2007 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

@Cesar
Don´t you have some photos of your first rollout?

I have made a mistake with my Waco, that means, I´ve forgot to install the wire inside the upper middle-part.
It should be placed direct on the screw of the front mounting point, and now all is planked! Uff, I´m so angry about me[sm=angry_smile.gif]
What do you and all others think, can I mount it outside of the middle part?
Stupid me, I was forgotten to take my camera with me.

I have got the wires in the middle-part the same as on this picture Bernie.....

Grüße,
Cesar.

stifts 06-19-2007 07:16 PM

Skylarkmk1,thanks for the reply. I do have the Paul Matt drawings,
but what I was hoping to find out was what subject Peter Barth used
when he designed his kit. Are there pictures of the full size airplane
availible? Steve

skylarkmk1 06-19-2007 10:30 PM

Steve,

The Proctor website has a gallery of YMF photos of what appear to be completed kits and are of different aircraft. You might try writing to Peter Barth directly to see if he did a specific Plane or went generic. Since there were only about 18 each of the UMF and YMF (according to Aerofiles) and about the same (more or less, I have heard any where from 34 to 39) for the YMF Classic by Waco Classic Aircraft Corp., the choices are fairly slim. The YMF Super, by WCAC, has nearly 3 times the choices and is different enough to be a different plane.

stifts 06-20-2007 10:17 AM

Thanks Skylarkmk1, I will check the Proctor Site for the information,thanks again. Steve

redcesar 06-20-2007 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I'am now busy with the flying wires and I dont now how to make the conection rod in the midlle of the wires. How can you make it so that it is easely to place and remove after flying.

Can somebody help me how to make such a rod?

Thanks in advance,
Cesar.

SoCalSal 06-20-2007 03:06 PM

Hi, Steve here. On my Waco I just use "zip" ties to secure that rod to the flying wires. You know the plastic ties you can use to bundel up electrical wires with. The ones that you wrap around the part you want to secure and the slide the other end through the little square end and pull up tight.......it makes a "zipping noise" when you do it that is why they call them "zip" ties here in the U.S.

Steve aka So Cal Sal

ORIGINAL: redcesar

Hi all,

I'am now busy with the flying wires and I dont now how to make the conection rod in the midlle of the wires. How can you make it so that it is easely to place and remove after flying.

Can somebody help me how to make such a rod?

Thanks in advance,
Cesar.