RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/4987146-buiding-33%25-waco-ymf-5-barth-modellbau.html)

skylarkmk1 06-20-2007 04:13 PM

RE: Buiding pics Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

1 Attachment(s)
Cesar,

Here are some close ups of the full size connection. I haven't come to that part yet, so I will be interested in what everyone's solutions are. I am thinking about leaving the stick in place and connecting the loose ends of the wires to storage/transportation sticks.

BigBoy99 06-21-2007 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cesar and others,

this week I started, to mount the stringers on the side of the fuse, the top- and the bottom stringers

will be glued in, after installing the servo for the rudder. Here I prefer to drive the rudder with a

cevlar fishing line with 110 kg breaking load. The servo will be mounted on a sledge and the wires are

mounted on an arm, to take the pulling load from the servo. By this sledge I can tense the wires evenly distributed.

Also I had to install the tanks for gas and the smoker. I took the both notches for the reso-tunnels, because I don´t need

them, they where a little to small and I had to make the notches a bit bigger. Now they are glued in with epoxi-resin.

I hope, I´m not boring you all with my extended reports, may be sometime not easy to understand because

my english is not always the best.

Regards

Bernie

redcesar 06-21-2007 03:03 PM

Hi Bernie,

The servo mount on a sledge is not a bad idea.
When I looked at your tanks I saw fittings I have not seen before, are you sure they are leaking proof?

I am also intended to put a smoke gear in the fuse but i have also heard that the fluid, diesel or smoke fluid give a lot of mess on your plane ánd dissolve the folie or paint on it so i am not sure yet... what is your opinion in this?

By the way, your not boring at all, keep up the posting and the pictures.

Cesar.

BigBoy99 06-21-2007 10:28 PM

Hi Ruud,

this fittings are from Festo, they are standard in jet-models. When you push the blue ring, you can pull out the hose.

The filling fitting, installed under the front inspection hatch, open only when you stick in the filling hose, when pulling

ot, it´s closed and nothing come out. I orderd the tanks here:

http://shop.strato.de/epages/Store.s.../%20Filtern%22

Referring to the smoke fluid, the fuse and all other parts will be painted with 2K paint, which is insensitive against most.

I only don´t know, where to install the ventilation fitting.

Vriendlieke Groeten

Bernie

vasek 06-21-2007 11:49 PM

Hello Bernie, your build look great!

Since you epoxied in the tanks I was wondering if the tanks are anti-foaming. I checked the site link you have posted but do not speak German. Can you please give more details on the tanks & the install? Maybe gas does not foam as much as glow?

Thanks for the info, Vasek

BigBoy99 06-22-2007 04:58 PM

Hi Vasek,

that´s right, gas does not foam so much. I saw a vide froma tank with gas during the flight. There was no foam

to see. It should show the properties during the flight, and the pilot was no sunday-flyer :D

If you want 100% shure, to get no foam, install a small hoopertank.

The tanks I installed, came ready mounted, the diameter is 93mm and the length about 200mm and the volume is 1000ml.

Installing was very easy, I maked the surface of the tanks with sand-paper a lttle bit rawly, and than I epoxied them in.

One question, do you built too a Waco?

Regards

Bernie

BigBoy99 06-23-2007 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

today I began to built the stab, I thought, thats easy, in a few ours it get´s ready.

But it wasn´t so, you must be very, very careful when you epoxi in the axles of the rudder.

It´s very important, that all 3 axles are in on line!

Now I´m waiting, that the epoxi drys.

Here some pictures:

Regards

Bernie

vasek 06-23-2007 11:23 PM

Bernie, thanks for the info!

No i am not building a Waco (yet!)... i'm watching ebay for a pica 1/5.

I really like the Barth but it's just a bit too big for me.

Cheers, Vasek

BigBoy99 06-24-2007 02:24 AM

Hi Vasek,

the Waco YMF-5 is also available in 25% size,

you cab see here : http://www.fmbb.de/Englischhome/Mode...Waco%201-4.htm

Have a nice sunday

Bernie

Alexzzz 06-24-2007 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: redcesar
What is your opinion.....

no spinner

the carbon spinner

or the painted spinner in the same coler as the fuse.

I'am curious what you guys think of it.
The carbon one should look nice on the waco, but on your Pitts also:) When are you planning the maiden?

Greetz.

vasek 06-24-2007 11:17 AM

Thanks for the link Bernie. Is there a price info on the 1/4 Waco?

V.

BigBoy99 06-24-2007 12:58 PM

Hi Vasek,

the price for the kit of the "small" Waco YMF-5 is 752€, this is nearly 1000 USD + shiping.

You can see here : http://www.fmbb.de/images/Preisliste2007Kunden.PDF

Send Peter Barth an E-Mail to ask for the shipping price : [email protected]

Regards

Bernie

BigBoy99 06-24-2007 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi friends,

it was weekend, and that means building time. I hope you all had time and good weather to fly,

and not so like me, to sit in the cellar..ha ha ha :)

The fin and the rudder is now as good as ready, and I can begin with the stab and elevator.

Today I considered a long time, to make the complete tail pretendable, because of better transportation.

Now I come to a decision, the fin is glued in with Epoxi.......I hope, my car is big enough :D

Here some photos more :

redcesar 06-24-2007 02:07 PM

Hi Bernie,

What are you dicided to do with the stab and elevator? Are you make it remove able or are you make it fixed.

Cesar.

Here the wether was also rainy.....

BigBoy99 06-24-2007 02:41 PM

Hi Ruud,

I decided to make it fix, it is such a lot of work, to make it pretendable.

You must make extra connectors for the elevator servo, also the connections for the rudder and the

tail-wheel, you have to hook up it before the flight and after. And the time you need, to make a biplane ready for

flight is still big enough, also the flying wires of the stab...and...and...and!

Because of these reasons, I did it fixed.

Such a bad thing with the bad weather at your home, when the time has come for the maiden of your Waco,

you have absolute take a videocamera and present us here a film, I´m so anxious to see it[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

This week I took a little time, to look all your building photos, there is so much differently now, it´s easyier now

and it goes much more quicker......only if I think about the stringers and the notches for it.

Do yo have any photo of your Waco, now when she is ready and mounted?

Enjoy your sunday evening

Bernie

redcesar 06-24-2007 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To make only the stab pretendable is not so much work but gives you a lot of comfort in transport. The stab have a width of 110 cm so if you must go through a door you must turn over your plane and that is not easy.

I only have to slide the stab halfs over steel tubes, (I have changed that later in steel tubes and brass tubes inside the stab) and connect the flying wires and the elevator steering rod that's all. The servo's are mounted in the tail.

Regards,
Cesar

redcesar 06-24-2007 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Alexzzz

What is your opinion.....

no spinner

the carbon spinner

or the painted spinner in the same coler as the fuse.

I'am curious what you guys think of it.
The carbon one should look nice on the waco, but on your Pitts also:) When are you planning the maiden?

Greetz.

Hi Alex,

The first nice day is for the maiden Alex, and the spinner? yes on the Pitts its also verry nice, than i can use possibly the yellow spinner, after painting in the right color, use for the Waco.

Cesar.

Alexzzz 06-24-2007 03:33 PM

Hi Alex,

The first nice day is for the maiden Alex, and the spinner? yes on the Pitts its also verry nice, than i can use possibly the yellow spinner, after painting in the right color, use for the Waco.

Cesar.
Keep us posted!:D (if you need some assistance with the maiden, give me a call, for me the vacation has begon...)

Greetz.

BigBoy99 06-26-2007 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cesar and all others,

yesterday I did cut out the finn of the rudder, Cesar has convinced me, it´s better to make the whole stab pretendable.

It´s a big part, the fuse with the stab, 110cm width! I would get problems in my house and in my car.

It´s not possible, to make only the elevator and stab pretendable, because the front tube of the stab goes now sloping in to the

fuse, and the rear tube in a right angle! Just like the origin machine.

So there´s only the way, to make the whole stearing element( Rudder AND Elevator) pretendable.

The first photo you see, is what i want to make, and the others what I did until now. But I have to consider a lot of things,

these details are in no plan, I must create it by my self...puuuh.....what a work.

But see self:

Regards

Bernie

redcesar 06-26-2007 03:55 PM

You make the right decision Bernie, now you have some difficulties to overcome but later you have got a lot of ease of it.

Regards,
Cesar.

Alexzzz 06-26-2007 11:24 PM

A very wise decision:D

Greetz.

BigBoy99 06-30-2007 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cesar and all others,

here again a little report of the work of the last days. After long time of considering, how to make the stab removeable AND adjustable

I decided me fot this solution, and would ask you four your opinion.

The whole stab is swivel mounted, up and down. Also the servo for the elevator is mounted on this arm. The front servo you see, is for adjust

the stab, -3° down and 3° up, if I want more or less, no problem, I only must take another hole in the sevo arm. These are not the final arms,

they will be changed in to alu-arms. Both servos are HT 5955 TG with 24kg/330oz power.

In the rear of the arm are two ball bearings for the drive-shaft of the elevator, I want to make the drive totally inside of the fuse, like the origin machine

On the first photo you can see the new cunstruction of the stab, also here I have to make some modifications, the end bar will be a carbon tube

and the outer bearings will be nearly to the origin, but hereof more later, see self:

Regards

Bernie

Alexzzz 06-30-2007 02:19 PM

Nice cfk:)

Greetz.

michou41a 06-30-2007 02:29 PM

Very ingenious, mine will be fix, like the drawing, but i change elevator servos position, first one in the first stab bay, second servo in the next bay.

Michel

BigBoy99 06-30-2007 03:08 PM

Hi Michel,

do you have too a Waco from Peter Barth? If yes, the 25% or the 33% version?

Give us some pictures!

Greetzz to Canada

Bernie