RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   RC Guys Super Decathlon coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/5085039-rc-guys-super-decathlon-coming.html)

mobyal 02-24-2010 08:12 AM

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

OK.
Thanks a lot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't an outlier!
Gonna move the battery too, so that shouild help a little.

outacontrol41 02-24-2010 08:26 AM

No, straping your battery to your rudder for maximum tail weight leverage would make you an outlier. Anywhere you put your batter or added weight in the fuse to make it balance would still be normal imho.

btw...I installed a battery hatch on the belly of the plane towards the rear. This is usually how I attack nose heavy airplanes and it's worked well for me.

mobyal 02-24-2010 08:38 AM

Nah. No problem there. Not going to put it on the rudder. Was planning on using zipties to lash it to the tailwheel bracket!

outacontrol41 02-24-2010 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Nah. No problem there. Not going to put it on the rudder. Was planning on using zipties to lash it to the tailwheel bracket!
lol! [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

bradleyban 03-08-2010 04:15 PM

Hey guys I'm in the middle of assembling my Decathlon when i was trying to figure out what spinner to use. Most of the spinners that are for sale don't seem to match the profile of an actualy Decathlon spinner so what I have been doing lately is designing one at work. (I'm a CNC programmer / operator). When I get one made I will post some pics of it and i would like to know if anyone would be interested in a spinner that is designed exactly for the RC Guys Super Decathlon.

Also if anyone can find me the dimensions for the actual scale Super Decathlon I can make it exactly to scale!!

Thanks guys

Brad

cmoulder 03-08-2010 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

Hey guys I'm in the middle of assembling my Decathlon when i was trying to figure out what spinner to use. Most of the spinners that are for sale don't seem to match the profile of an actualy Decathlon spinner so what I have been doing lately is designing one at work. (I'm a CNC programmer / operator). When I get one made I will post some pics of it and i would like to know if anyone would be interested in a spinner that is designed exactly for the RC Guys Super Decathlon.

Also if anyone can find me the dimensions for the actual scale Super Decathlon I can make it exactly to scale!!

Thanks guys

Brad
What does an actual scale SD spinner look like?

If you look [link=http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraftsearch=American+Champion+8KCA B-180+Super+Decathlon&distinct_entry=true&sort_order =photo_id+desc&page=1&page_limit=15&sid=398dab77df 4823a2b6eb2250e3b7b111]here[/link] on airliners.net you will see that many current full-scale SD's are equipped with Extra and Ultimate style spinners.

bradleyban 03-08-2010 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The ultimate spinners are too pointy and the extra style spinners are hard to come by and very expensive when you do find one. Standard shape are to short and P-51 style just isn't right. the decathlon spinner has a distinct shape thats not like any one the market. the picture of the decathlon you have is not the stock spinner. Check out American Champions web site and you'll see.</p>

bradleyban 03-17-2010 04:19 PM

Just a bit of warning about the engine thrust line on current kits. I think that the stated dimensions on page 10 don't apply to the newer kits. I just measured out those dimension for my fg-36 and they don't work. my cowel was pointing up instead of down. I added 1/2" to the 1 3/4" stated on page 10 and the manual from there site has no dimensions in it still. Anyone putting a recent kits together see this on there's??

FlymoreRC 03-17-2010 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They must have kept the same setup instructions from a year ago. Page 22 of my manual had the setting at 1 3/4" - and I initially used it. Same results as Bradleyban...

If you look at page 22 of the old instructions, which show the Saito 4 stroke mounting, you see the vertical position is more than 1 3/4". That was my first clue when I tried to figure out was was wrong. So I re-drilled 1/2" lower, and plugged the original holes. Everything worked out fine. You might see it in the photo.

Be sure to gap seal your control surfaces. The robart hinges broke apart on the elevator after 10 or so flights - more experienced flyers said the gap, even at 1/16" is too much for a big plane.

Ah, the joy of building...

bradleyban 03-18-2010 04:07 AM

I'm replacing the hinges on mine I think the ones that come with the kit are knock offs of robart hinges. Also have the du-bro HD control horns and pull pull horns coming for it to. Im not risking these things for over 1000.00 invested.

My manual that i downloaded has nothing in it for engine placement other than move it to make the cowel line up. i even went on there web site to see if i had an old version maybe and the one on there didn't have it either so i dunno

bradleyban 03-28-2010 10:00 AM

Guys Replace all the hardware for control surfaces. I have found so many pieces of my hardware that are very poorly made. Half of all my turn buckles have damaged threads. Some of my t-nuts arn't even threaded my landing gear had to be redrilled and tapped for the suppled bolts. the landing gear needed the holes redrilled for the wheel pants. So far these are some of the things I found with my hardware.

For what it's worth they shouldn't even include this stuff with the kits. Most of it I can't even use on my plane because it's so poorly made.

Radio and servos should be here tommorrow

Brad

outacontrol41 03-28-2010 10:38 AM

Brad,
All these things you list were problems with my kit also. My biggest disappointment was the cheap covering. My kit is over three years old, but Dan told me recently that the covering has been improved but they still use the same hardware. What do you think of the covering on your model? You'll find out when you remove sections of covering from the tail section when you put the vertical fin on. Bad covering does not remove easily....plastic lamination comes off while a painted looking red surface remains. Awful stuff to work with.

FlymoreRC 03-28-2010 10:55 AM

I had the same problem with the lower white covering. Also the blue strips were delaminating. The red covering seems to be okay. Due to an accident, I replaced all the lower white, and re-did the main fuse blue stripes. Now it's okay.

All in all, it's not a bad plane, just has lots of opportunity to improve.

bradleyban 03-28-2010 12:39 PM

My covering is wierd. I had no trouble removing it from the tail feathers but it seems to develop wrinkles by itself. I think that im going to see covering issues in the future but I will just redo the covering if it comes to that point. Maybe go with the yellow color scheme??

Im going to go and snap a few pics of my progress and post them up.

Brad

bradleyban 03-28-2010 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my pics. Two of the pics you can see the jig i made at work to align the cowel so the crank comes out exactly centered to the cowel and offsets it 1/8" out from the cowel. Another pics shows one of the turnbuckles thats split down the threads. Some of my engine instalation. And one of my MidStar 40 that was just finished resurected. I had smucked it into abig pine tree on a deadstick landing last fall and broke the fuselage in half right infront of the horizontal stab.

This plane even though some hardware issues is quite the thing to look at. Very nice plane. It's going to get alot of looks at the flying feild this summer.

Believe me guys whenI have this thing running I will post some videos on You Tube.

outacontrol41 03-28-2010 04:32 PM

Yup, mine is a beauty too after hardware modification.

stangevil29 04-04-2010 11:47 PM

I have been pondering ordering one of these and had a few ?'s for you current owners. Would the covering coming apart be lessened with a light coat of sealant? I have pretty much figured to replace all hardware ( I have with all ARF's I have bought but the GP's). Going through this entire thread was a task so, I just kind of skipped here and there. It looks like it will fly with anything from a big 4 stroke to a DA 50 (Good GoD!! that video). Other than the hardware what would you all suggest I be wary of? Thanks in advance.
Stangevil29

P.S. I plan on putting a gasser in it, not sure which one 30cc-40cc'ish. And A- 645mg's, E&R- 5645's

bradleyban 04-05-2010 04:00 AM

BUYIT!!!

Many people complained about the covering on earlier models. Mine doesn't seem to be to bad. Some of the stars were lifting on me and some edges were lifting but i just attacked it with the iron and everything stuck down fine. Imay have to do this with a couple of spots yet in the future.

One thing to watch for when you put one together you'll find that the manual sucks for later models. Measurements don't work very well.

400 dollars for this kit is a good price and Dan at RCguys will replace anything broken in the box (if there is).

outacontrol41 04-05-2010 07:53 AM

My covering sucks ( I have earlier model) but Dan said he fixed the problem since, so the covering should be improved by now. Only time will tell.

bradleyban 04-05-2010 12:14 PM

outacontrol41....... Should see if Dan will replace your covering??</p>

Ken Cz 04-07-2010 01:26 PM

O.S. 160 2stroke users:
How does the SD fly on this engine? Sufficient power? I am trying to decide on an engine.
I do not want my SD to do 3D stuff but by the same token I don't want it to fly like a CUB.

How is vertical climb? Plenty of power to pull big loops without diving to gain speed? Get you out of trouble if you need it?

Also, how did it balance out with the 160 single 2 stroke?

Any help, recommendations or other ideas always appreciated.

Ken

outacontrol41 04-07-2010 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

outacontrol41....... Should see if Dan will replace your covering??</p>
Nah. Not too worried about it at this point, what can he do? The plane is assembled and ready to fly. If I were to buy another, I'd check the covering very carefully before I commit to assembling it. I didn't do that the first time. :eek:

bradleyban 04-12-2010 01:27 PM

Hey guys this is my first time setting up a pull pull set-up with the rudder. When I move the rudder all the way one way on high rates one cable loosens of and when i move the opposite way both the cables are at there normal tension. There isn't anything holding the ruder back it has free play back and forth and the clevises are equal on the servo.  Anyone have a suggestion??

FlymoreRC 04-12-2010 03:13 PM

One quick thought: Is the servo arm parallel with the rudder control arms? Also, is everything equal in measurement and installation on both sides of the servo arm and rudder connections? Is there any binding in the control wireof theconnectionpoints at the servo arm or rudder points?

How about binding where the control line goes thru the fuse? Same setup on both sides?

Ken Cz 04-12-2010 03:20 PM

Not sure if it would cause the condition you describe but could it possibly be the 'end point adjustment' of the servo on your TX is limiting the travel in one direction and not the other?