RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/7422515-tmmy-scale-composites-35%25-scale-cessna.html)

spidernad 09-11-2011 01:29 PM

RE: TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

ORIGINAL: johnnyarvika

Hello.

Are there any of you Cessna lovers who have had contact with Tmmy lately.
Have sent him an email but no reply.
I will order a new Cessna 182

Reg. Johnny.
Hi Johnny.

Thanks for the PM about the engine.

The last reply I got from Tommy was on 8/30/11
I sent him an email on 9/6/11 but no reply yet.
Sometimes they are on holiday,they have different holidays than other countries.

So you want to get another one, thats great!
I bet you wish you still had your first one, that engine was the best. Which engine will you use this time?

Dan

spidernad 09-11-2011 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the Horizontal Stabilizer / Elevator today. Whew!

The elevator control arm was drilled to big where the rods go in from each elevator.
I think others have posted about this same issue.
"Hey Tommy, drill them smaller, 1/4 inch or 6.3mm."
My fix was to make an aluminum sleeve out of some roof flashing, took some time but looks like it's holding tight.

Ozflyboi 09-11-2011 04:29 PM

Hi Guys,

On the topic of the elevator hookups if you read earlier on this thread I actually seperated each of the elevators and used 1x servo per elevator halve. This was for redundancy as this plane is quite large and also quite expensive I went for this option. Tommy does provide you with either option if you request it.

Welcome back to the forum Johnny! Hope you get your new Cessna very soon.

Regards,
Steve

spidernad 09-11-2011 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Ozflyboi

Hi Guys,

On the topic of the elevator hookups if you read earlier on this thread I actually seperated each of the elevators and used 1x servo per elevator halve. This was for redundancy as this plane is quite large and also quite expensive I went for this option. Tommy does provide you with either option if you request it.

Welcome back to the forum Johnny! Hope you get your new Cessna very soon.

Regards,
Steve
Hey Steve,

I did read that earlier on in this thread. My stab has a wide hole, presumably for 2 servos, soI guess I could always go that way if I want. Did you have 2 of those control arms that I show in my last post or did you use some other type of arms for the two elevators?

Ozflyboi 09-11-2011 05:07 PM

Hi Spider,

Yes Tommy will provide two seperate aluminium control horns for each elevator if you want to use 2 servos.

I am sure you could always ask him for these if you change your mind.

The larger hole in the stab is correct, Tommy is now making this a permanent option as on earlier kits the hole was just wide enough for a single servo.

Steve

spidernad 09-11-2011 05:10 PM

Ok Steve, Thanks.

So It's the exact same arm I have just another one making two?

style fly 09-12-2011 01:54 PM

Wish is knew about the duel servo option although Mario's been flying his for years on the one servo it should be fine- but two is better then one .............keep posting photos great job so far Spider

spidernad 09-12-2011 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the rudder glued in today.
If the holes for the control surfaces hinges were dirlledstaight, not oversized,and in the right location at the factory I wouldn't need to spend all week filling them in with wood dowels and relocating them! Ugh..
The decals on the rudder will be replaced with new ones of the correct color and size.

mario tavarez14 09-12-2011 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spidernad look , i used only 1 servo for elevator hitec 7955

spidernad 09-12-2011 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mario tavarez14

Spidernad look , i used only 1 servo for elevator hitec 7955
Hey Mario,

Sorry, I should have posted what I have for everyone too.

Cessna uses a 30° slant on the tail numbers like the below example. (Ignore the red shadow, that is not used)

This wingspan on this planelooks to be 153" not 157.5" like the TMMY websitesays.
So if the real planehas a wingspan of36' or432", than 153" for the model would come out to 35.417% scale. Not 1/3 (which is33.33%)and justa bit over 35%
So 432" (the real plane) x35.417% = 153" (Tmmy Cessna). I'm only using the wingspan of the planes to figure out the scale. If I'm off just let me know. (I'm pretty sure I got it right)

All this leads towhat size the decals should be. (I'm referring to the 2009 Cessna 182, other years may use different decals)

Based on 35.417%scale for this plane,
The "Cessna" logo decal should be 2.12"W x 2.3"H.
The "Skylane TC" (Turbo Version) logo decal should be 5.72"W x 1.42"H.
The "Skylane" (Non Turbo) logo decal should be 5.72"W x .68"H.
The N-number (Tail registration number) should have 4.25"H letters with a 30° slant.

Here is a link about N-numbers and thesequences they follow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_registration
I also attached a PDF file of the 2009 Cessna color schemes.

And of course any way you do it is fine, this info is just for reference.

spidernad 09-12-2011 05:21 PM

Sal, how is yours coming along?

Have you test run it yet, or maybe even fly it? Videos? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngue_smile.gif

Ozflyboi 09-12-2011 05:23 PM

Hi Spider,

As to your earlier question regarding the control horns for the seperate servo option on the elevators, Tommy actually makes two seperate horns for these. You can request these from him and he should be able to supply you with these.

I can relate to your frustrations on the rudder fin hinging. Mine arrived glued in and it was rubbing pretty bad at the top near the counter balance. In the end I had to do exactly the same as you and cut the hinges drill them out and plug them up with dowels only to start again with new knuckle hinges.

The angles were not quite right either so when I did this I was very careful to install the hinges at the correct angles to remove friction from the equation.

Good to see your progressing well with the build. Keep up the great work!

Steve

spidernad 09-12-2011 05:38 PM

Thanks Steve.

I was wondering if they used to come with the control surfaces already assembled.
At first I was wishing mine came assembled but I guess it's better they only drilled the holes, that way I only had to fix the holes, not cut the hinges and have to go through all that too.

The rudder has to be painted somewhat assembled to get the stripe to line up with the stab and that's where things get tricky.
On mine they only glued the hinges to the rudder side to get some stability / alignmentfor painting.
I had to align the hinges on the stab side so the stripes wouldbe aligned and have it move without binding, it was a bugger.
Even with all the work to get it right it still rubbed a little when the glue dried because it turns out the side they did glue in was off center. Just a little filing to fix that, not to bad.
I was thinking if they glued it permanently then painted it that would be best but your scenario rules that out. They would have had to make sure there was no binding first, so much for that method.

I think more and more these planes are coming through less built so the modeler can do it the way they feel best.
I don't think the workers at the factory have the time, experience, or skills to really get it spot on.

Now I know why Sal said this is a "builders arf". LOL

style fly 09-13-2011 07:43 AM

Hey Spider- YES its a Builders ARF (BARF) anyway i too had to fill the hinge holes and redo the hinge points - they were a mess , not stright at all on the wings and elevator- im am plannig to do the first flight on Sept. 24th- we are just now installing the powerbox and servo ext.... so with-in 2 weeks i hope to have her ready- as much work as this planes is -im learning so much from Kevin-he is the lead builder- you cant not want one when you see it at the Flying field- ill post some more photos this weekend i have also been busy with re-sheetrocking my shop- IRENEhit me hard and left 4-1/2 feet of water in my shop............i lost my 40% Sbach - i had to order a new Fuse and wont get it till Oct. but ill stay in-touch

spidernad 09-13-2011 10:02 AM

Oh, man, sorry to hear about the water damage. That sucks. I know parts of north Jersey got hit pretty hard, didn't know you were right in that aera. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gif
Well I guess it's good the Cessna was at Kevins house at least.
Good luck with the rest of the build and the maiden.

style fly 09-13-2011 11:31 AM

HeyDan, did your Cessna come with the logos on it already? mine was bare!!!!!!!</p>

Adrian_CH 09-13-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Together,

I have a Problem with the Engine Mount.This is not Quality!!
The soldering is not ok.See Pictures,i have mount a DA-170 and the Mount is brocken !!

Adrian

spidernad 09-13-2011 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: style fly

HeyDan, did your Cessna come with the logos on it already? mine was bare!!!!!!!
Yes it had them, but they were the wrong color and size, which was fine with me since I had already worked with my graphics guy to have them made.

Just look at my post about them for the size and color. Look at the PDF file for the correct color for your blue plane,someuse different colors. The blue schemeusesDark Tundra vinyl.(PN-5104)</p>

spidernad 09-13-2011 02:34 PM

Hey Adrian,

I was suspect about that weld when I saw it too.

It should be welded from both sides of the metal.

Iam probably going to have to remove mine anyway for the engine I plan to use and to get the engine thrust angle correct.

Ozflyboi 09-13-2011 04:04 PM

Hi Spider,

Getting the thrust angles right on these planes is very important. I have seen soo many just use down thrust only.

I always use 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right thrust angles in all my fixed winged models (irrespective of size).

I have seen Martin's original Cessna fly with just the down thrust and it is noticable on take off mostly as when power is applied the nose tends to yaw left under load. Being a heavy model also the yaw is noticable.

I can say that from my own experiences of using right thrust in this model that my Cessna tracks true at all speed ranges, that is unless I am intentionally side slipping the model which I tend to do allot as the model is very capable at replicating this as to its true scale counterpart.

Also on earlier posts a discussion was started as to elevator mix with flaps deployment and some were not wanting to use this function.

I always use a (servo speed delayed down) elevator compensation with flap deployment.

These days most if not all transmitters off a Flap menu where this is adjustable and can offer adjustment for each flap position.

An Elevator to Flap mix simply removes having to fight the elevator control during the most important time of any flight - Landing Approach.

True to scale aircraft are retrimmed whenever flaps are deployed to ensure they maintain a constant attitude flightpath to touch down. It would only seem logical to follow the lead in a true scale fashion.

Regards,

Steve

spidernad 09-13-2011 06:00 PM

Thanks a lot for your input and experience with this model Steve.

I wasn't sure about the right thrust but I will definitely use both on your recommendation.
I wonder is the firewall square with the plane? Can I use it to measure my 2&deg; from?
I don't think TMMY has the front of the cowl angled to match the engine angle, so maybe people are straightening the engine thrust angle so the spinner / cowl spacing will look right.
I guess I will have to mod the cowl or have an odd space between the spinner and front of the cowl.

Also, I totally agree about using elevator trim to mix with the flaps, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it.
RC planes are way harder to fly than real planes so anyhelp you can get from radio mixing is always a good idea in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dan

Ozflyboi 09-13-2011 06:32 PM

Hi Spider,

I am glad you see eye to eye with me on the ele compensation for flaps.

With your concerns over the spinner and nose ring alignment on the cowling there is only a slight offset as to the gap between the spinner backplate and the nose ring. It really is not all that noticable, in fact I do not get any comments about this when I am down at the field.

If you would like to know exactly how much gap I am getting I can measure this for you tonight?

With my engine mount I modified mine by using a linisher (crazy thought but it worked out well) with my fathers expertise and assistance, to take off the front edge at the required angles so that the front faceplate could then have new holes redrilled into the outer frame and be re-attached in this new location.

We also added an aluminium spacer directly behind the motor, in between the engines mount and the models engine mount box.

If you have any other questions regarding the engine mounting and or thrust offsets let me know.

Regards,
Steve

spidernad 09-13-2011 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great info Steve!

I like the idea of changing the slots in the sides of the engine box and re-drilling the holes, haven't really looked at my eng box parts much yet, been so busy with control surfaces, but I like that idea, gives me something to work with.

On the space between the cowl ring and spinner, have a look at the way Sal's was when he first got it. (see attachments below).
It was pretty bad, don't know if I could let that be, sounds like yours wasn't too bad after your mods.

Ozflyboi 09-13-2011 07:55 PM

Hi Spider,

Okay now I can see your concerns the clearance around the nose ring.

See this is why I added another aluminum spacer behind the motor mount and engine box. This just provided another 3mm clearance so I did not need to modify the nose ring on the cowling at all.

Steve

spidernad 09-13-2011 07:58 PM

Adding space is no problem, but look at the angle of the engine compared to the cowl ring.
There would have been a very uneven space between them.