RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Nitromodels Katana 50cc build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/8057710-nitromodels-katana-50cc-build-thread.html)

cpreinfalk 11-17-2008 08:22 PM

RE: Nitromodels Katana 50cc build thread

Honestly, I didn't measure the weights. I put 3 very small packages of fishing lead on, and the packages didn't say the weight on them.

In any case, I flew the plane again on Saturday and everything was fine. Knife edge (down elevator needed), rolls, loops, hammerheads. I also did some high up harriers. I'm quite pleased with the plane. It was very windy, so the plane got thrown around a lot. Can't wait to fly it with less wind to see how it really behaves.

htskywalker 11-24-2008 03:50 AM

Hey guys, Maiden mine yesterday, this babe flew like a dream but the LG did not hold for the (harsh) landing causing the FW to rip off. I did so much reinforcements on this plane but seems the firewall and the LG block are the weakest points. Already have a thread about this plane on Flying Giants and you are all welcomed to join in
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...nderson-2.html
Engine DL50 Servos 8511 on AiL 8411 ELEV and 8911 on RUD 2xNICD 1400mah

htskywalker 11-24-2008 09:33 AM

seems i got sensored, then i will make a riddle: "flying" is my best hobby and i feel like a "Giants" when i fly high an this is where I was pointing and sure ".com"

G.P. 11-24-2008 10:51 AM

That whole thread is a riddle to me. Are you sure it's about the 50cc Katana?;):)[X(]

htskywalker 11-25-2008 01:23 AM

This is the 50cc Katana by nitromodels sold by nitroplanes.com aka Harris & Anderson priced at less then $300 (white canopy)

brad65ford 11-29-2008 08:31 AM

TTT
Anybody else purchase this plane, anybody? I just purchased one, and I'm already looking at how to upgrade the landing gear. I'm thinking fiberglass landing gear instead of the alum crap. Hope its a strong airframe for some tumbles.

y2k6vette 11-29-2008 12:17 PM

Ordered my Katana 50cc yesterday on Black Friday. Price is right and plane looks good. Plan on using a Brillelli 50cc I have on the shelf, but it might not fly 'til spring.....temps around here a getting a bit cold for the ol' fingers. Looking forward to see how the plane is constructed....will make some upgrades where necessary.

Steve

brad65ford 11-29-2008 03:07 PM

Out of all the Nitromodels on nitroplanes.com this one looks to be very well built. We will see.

htskywalker 12-01-2008 02:52 AM

Well guys, I have to say that many adjustments needs to be made to the airframe before the plane is ready for flying:
1- The canopy is only poorly fixed (beside the 2 bolts) to the fuselage by a very thin tongue
Fix: I have inserted 2 dowells through the firewall and drilled 2 holes in the canopy for fitting
2- I used 1 rudder servo so I glued an additional ply servo tray to the exisiting ones
3- Firewall has to be strengthened, I glued 1/4 Ply all over (this helped in less nose balast)
4- The LG block is very weak, I removed the Blind Nuts glued a 1/4 Plu block and re-attached the BN as well as gluing an extra block
for ground clearance. Additional 1/4 ply strips were also added from z inside to strengthen where the LG block is inserted
5- I mixed 30 mn Epoxy with alcohol and went all over the joints
6- Wheel pants are only held by 1 screw, I drilled a lower hole for the wheel axis to gain more ground clearance and used the original
hole for another screw to prevent the wheel pant from moving
7- I had to add a ply joiner inside the canopy to gain more strengh and I used it a s well to glue the pilot to
8- I have installed a DL50 and the plane was way tail heavy, A pull pull is recommended and strengthening the Firewall would help as well
Those are the points I remembered but I would be happy to answer any questions in any part of the plane

htskywalker 12-01-2008 02:55 AM

The LG is Fiber Glass and not Alu. It looks sturdy enough, with a CF LG you will loose and very much needed weight forward the CG

cpreinfalk 12-01-2008 04:08 PM

I crashed mine.

After a few flights I was flying it harder and noticed a tendency of the right wing to drop in certain situations. During landing (which had to be done with a bit of a throttle) this was never an issue, I was able to land the plane really nicely. However, when I did loops that are a bit tighter, the right wing consistently dropped on the last quarter of the loop (when gravity kicks in). On fast and wide loop this wasn't an issue. Also, after adding a lot of weight (now that the plane has crashed I can weigh the weights without taking apart the plane, as it has been taken apart for me) in front of the fire wall (around the stand-offs), it was still tail heavy. Better flyable than on my first flight (as posted earlier in this thread), but I still had to work it during landing, and it didn't track well during loops (plus the right wing dropping). If I had added enough weight to move the CG then the right-wing-dropping would have been worse.

I also checked on the ground if it was right-heavy, which it wasn't. I lifted it at the spinner and at the rudder (somebody helped me) and it didn't lean towards the right. So I don't know if there was anything off aerodynamically, or if a tiny bit of right weight (that I didn't notice when I checked) gets multiplied under load during a loop that it results in a wing drop.

The crash was a combination of a few things: The plane was high up, upside down, low speed, on the top of a loop. When it was headed 45degrees nose down (upside down still), it started to roll (see right-wing-drop paragraph above). What followed was me losing the orientation (because the plane didn't do what I expected, plus I'm not a pro) and I managed to get the plane into a nose dive, spins and me not being able to re-gain control. I got into that situation a few times with this plane and was able to recover, but this time I couldn't.

As stated by other users, this plane is very tail heavy. I read on another forum entry that somebody had to add 600g in the front. That's 1.3lbs, which is about 8% of the typical 16lbs flying weight of 50cc planes. In other words, the overall weight gets very high. The weight of my plane was almost 19lbs and still tail heavy (pull pull setup, all batteries fore of the CG).

As long as you fly fast, it does fine maneuvers. But once you shake it out a bit more, the heavy weight shows. And for IMAAC you don't want the CG to be that much aft, so you'd have to make it even heavier.

I was excited when I read the FlyRC article, but the plane I got did not have the adjustable wings. If it had that then I suppose the CG issue would not exist. In that case I would have LOVED the plane. But since the wing wasn't adjustable on mine, the aft CG was a problem.

The low purchase price unfortunately does not move the CG forward.

bobbybegood 12-10-2008 01:10 AM

[>:]Hi gang Received the 50cc Katana it is not as advertised. The wing area is not 1232 sq. in. It is closer to 1100. The weight is not 12 to 13 1/2 lbs it is closer to 15 1/2. The wing on the new version of the Katana is 2 1/4 inches thick. The older version is 2 3/4 inches thick and also weighs 5 ounces less per wing. The new version does not fit the specs that are advertised by Nitro. I feel I got ripped off. This isn't the plane that I ordered.

G.P. 12-10-2008 01:21 PM

I definately don't believe anything from this company. I posted a question about diferent versions of this plane in their support forum and the guy repeatedly said that there is only one version. Despite testimonials and photographic evidence he kept to his story. Maybe he didn't know any different, but you would think that he would look into it a little more after several people posted and even provided photos[sm=confused.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Makes it hard to believe any of the reviews in FlyRC too.

cpreinfalk 12-10-2008 03:18 PM

I learned from this experience, as it was my first 25% scale plane. I learned to build it, what to put in it, how to fly it (for 7 flights). And most importantly, I learned that in this hobby it's true that you get what you pay for, at least when it comes to larger planes.

I now purchased one of those Aeroworks quick build planes (50cc Extra 260 QB) for $634 at the LHS and started to put it together. There's such a huge difference in build quality, I couldn't believe it. I expected a difference, but now I really realized what a ....... the Nitromodels Katana 50cc is. The canopy alone is almost worth the difference in price. :-)

Of course you'd expect a more expensive plane to be better in many ways, but I have to say that with what I know now, if somebody gave me the Nitromodels Katana 50cc for free, I wouldn't put it together to fly it (unless I only want to fly fast loops and rolls).

cpreinfalk 12-10-2008 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: G.P.

Not FlyRC's fault. They reviewed the plane they got from Nitromodels and the planes that we received from Nitromodels are not the same. That's purely a Nitromodels (or Nitroplanes.com) issue. Of the planes that I bought before (non-Nitromodels), they were always the same as the ones that FlyRC reviewed.

cpreinfalk 12-10-2008 03:27 PM

One positive thing from my experience with Nitromodels planes: 2 members of my club purchased the Nitromodels Ultimate 45cc-50cc and they love them. I saw both of them doing all the wild 3D stuff. There's no CG problem, no weight issue. They put DL50's in each of them. So if anything, there's this plane that I can recommend. The Katana 50cc I do not recommend at all.

G.P. 12-10-2008 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: cpreinfalk

Not FlyRC's fault. They reviewed the plane they got from Nitromodels and the planes that we received from Nitromodels are not the same. That's purely a Nitromodels (or Nitroplanes.com) issue. Of the planes that I bought before (non-Nitromodels), they were always the same as the ones that FlyRC reviewed.
Do you think the review would be any different if they had done a little research and discovered these issues? The internet is full of nitromodels stories, but the review would still be the same due to advertising dollars. There was nothing bad said about the plane, but it's quit obvious there is lots wrong.

cpreinfalk 12-10-2008 05:04 PM

Do you think the review would be any different if they had done a little research and discovered these issues? The internet is full of nitromodels stories, but the review would still be the same due to advertising dollars. There was nothing bad said about the plane, but it's quit obvious there is lots wrong.
I wouldn't know that, because the plane on FlyRC, is not the same that I received from Nitromodels.

htskywalker 12-11-2008 07:40 AM

Well with the amount of time and Hardware I ended up using in re-engineering this plane, $600 for an Aeroworks end up much cheaper. Well with everything you pay in life you either get a good product or a lesson. With the KAtana it was an expensive lesson.

cpreinfalk 12-11-2008 09:34 AM

What did you do about the CG? How much does the plane weigh (including everything)? What type of flyer are you (3D, pattern)?

htskywalker 12-11-2008 09:46 AM

with the original setup (DL50, Alu spinner, all Batteries in the FW, 2 additional plies glued to the FW) I had to add (Guess how much) 740grams to balance. But i have to admit the DL50 was pulling it with authority even on Break-in. Over all weight was 16 lbs, I am a sport flyer so 3D is minor and the rest is sport (knife Edge, Snap rolls, Harriers, some hovering, Hammer Heads etc). Well once all setup the plane flies great, very stable and no tendency for snapping

terribleTom 04-07-2009 12:29 PM

Back in September when Nitro had the article in FlyRC magazine for the Katana i was excited by the review and ordered the kit. it was in December that i finally got around to putting it together. up to then I only took the wings and fuse out looking for damage and put them back in the box.
When i first started putting it together the instructions were poor so i got the magazine back out and read through the article and started to notice several things that didn't match up in the Kit...
#1 the Canopy view showed a Blue tint canopy... No big deal.
#2 the Article state with the "New" Katana that the wing tube would adjust back and forth to adjust CG... The one i got it was glued in place already. Starting to get suspicious now... so i look closer....
#3 the article stated that the Horizontal Stab was glued in... Hmmm the one i have is plugged in and the Servos mount on the inside of the Stab similar to other 50cc models... I look at the pictures in Nitro Ad now on their website and find that the stab is Solid now.... Hmmm.
#4 the servo tray is not there as in the picture in the Ad on line and the wood in the picture looks much Better and neater than i got....
#5 the Article in the Magazine said Sale price for the "NEW" Katana was 249.00 and that's what i paid....

When i called Nitro in DEcember they told me that it had been too long and too bad for what i have....

Now i'm wondering since i'm about 4 days from test flying the Airplane whether it will hold up... I don't want to ruin my gear. I was looking at the Add in Fly RC on the Ultimate and wondered if it is same thing.....

I want to know from Nitro if this is they way you do business? I still would like the new version of the Katana even though i've spent a lot of time redoing things that should be right according to your Article in Fly RC In September... I will Gladly take my Stuff Radio and Engine out now and start all over with a new Version Katana Arf and ship you back the one you sent me now before i fly it....

Tommy

htskywalker 04-08-2009 03:18 AM

If you decide to stick with the Katana then keep in mind to strenghen the LG block, firewall and to run epoxy all over the joints. the Stab joiner tube needs to be screwed to Stabs or else it will move to one side during flight and you would left with 1 Stab Half.

terribleTom 04-08-2009 07:15 AM

Thanks for the input... I've put Gussets around and on both sides of the fire wall and on the inside of the plane on the landing Gear. I used Gorilla Glue mostly to do this. at this point i could put another 1/4" Ply piece on the bottom of the plane on top of the landing gear plate... Would this be enough....?

On the stab i will screw the Torque tube to the Stabs.... Is that stab area strong enough to have the servos in the stab and take 3 D style stuff... I know how long is a piece of Rope.... When i read the article in the magazine the guy said he glued the stab on... Now i see why... Because his version was one piece and is clearly in teh picture of the Ad in Nitro... I don't know who John is for Nitro but he's full of it if he says there is only one version.. Issues like this really Erk me as basically he's mis representing his Company and that is not right.... I could have bought and built any of the $600 260s for the time and extra stuff i have in this airplane... Anyway i guess i'm committed to Fly it and risk my Expensive Engine and servos.... It looks strong enough now.... I'll take it easy and hope I get out of this plane what i wanted which is to transition to 3D flying from the old Jet style and FAI aerobatics....

I know i'll Run from the next "Good Deal" i see..... I'll stick to investing in the good stuff... I'll keep you posted on how it flies....

htskywalker 04-08-2009 07:32 AM

The stab screw would do the trick same for the 1/4" Ply on the LG block. make sure to istall the engine as far as possible (longer standoffs) from the FW to avoid adding mose weight and put all Batteries in the nose. You can alos run a clear tape all over the LE of both Ail & Stabs to avoid the civering ripping off. Flying characteristis are good ones :-) I received my Airwild Extra 260 29% and it made me forget all the bad time i waisted on strenghening the Katana.
NB: The canopy only have a thin wood to fix it to the Fuse beside the screws, I installed 2 dowels in the FW as well and 2 corresponding holes in the Canopy.
Keep me posted. Good luck
I have some photos of mine www.amazrc.com Pilot: Hady Tanissa