RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Byron Ryan ST-A (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/8581419-byron-ryan-st.html)

pa23180 03-15-2009 06:47 PM

Byron Ryan ST-A

Hello
Does anyone have information on the CG location for the byron Ryan ST-a? Also does anyone know where I can get n instruction boklet for this model?

Thanks to all.
Pete

Dick T. 03-15-2009 11:59 PM

RE: Byron Ryan ST-A

Pete,

I just bought a kit here on RCU and it is on it's way to me. Should have it by end of this week.

If you don't get an answer prior to that, I will check the manual when it arrives and advise.

outssider 03-16-2009 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the entire manual on j-peg file. pm me your e-mail address and i'll send it to you....

pa23180 03-16-2009 09:39 PM

Hello
If you can e-mail me th byron ryan st-a instruction booklet it would be greatly appreciated.
My e-mail address is [email protected]
Again thank you
Pete

pa23180 03-16-2009 09:42 PM

Hello
Thanks for the reply. If possible e-mail me with the CG location and also with the rec, and battery location.
I was told that they are installed behind the rear pilot seat.
Thanks for your help.
Pete

pa23180 03-16-2009 09:43 PM

This is Pete Again I forgot to include my e-mail address. [email protected]

outssider 03-17-2009 11:23 AM

I'll do it tomorrow...a bit busy today...;)

Mud Duck 04-18-2009 07:11 PM

Outssider - I would really, really appreciate it if you could also e-mail me a copy of that manual as well - I have been trying to determine where to set the CG on a Byron PT-20 that we've been working on. Thank you in advance! My e-mail address is [email protected]

Mud Duck 04-24-2009 06:18 PM

I want to thank both Dick T & Outssider for the information shared with me and in case someone else needs the information after me, here you go...

From the Byron's manual of the Ryan ST-A or PT-20, the Center of Gravity ( CG ) is located 4 1/2 inches aft the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage center section with the nose slightly down.

Control Throws;

Elevator 1" both directions
Ailerons 1/2" to 3/4" both directions
Rudder 1 1/2" both directions
Flap 10" version = 2" full down
Flap 16" version = 1 1/2" full down

Mud Duck 05-02-2009 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Again, thanks to you guys, this Ryan PT-20 is now ready for its maiden flight. This model belongs to my friend, Steve Bradford, and was completely refurbished by Kent Imhoff and I assisted him in the restoration process. It really turned out nice. We'll let you know how it flies later.

outssider 05-03-2009 11:17 AM

what motor are you running ?

Mud Duck 05-03-2009 06:17 PM

It has a gas-powered Saito 36cc 4-stroke on ignition. Guided by a JR 9303 & JR 921 2.4 GHz 9-channel receiver with two satellite remotes.

How about yours? It sure looks great!

outssider 05-04-2009 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it's a moki 50cc 4-stroke gas......and it's a big pain in the ass....who ever said "you get what you pay for" didn't have one of these engines in mind....i could have bought 3 dl50's for the same price as this abortion....

Mud Duck 05-04-2009 12:11 PM

Uh-oh! That comment about the engine you used makes me very nervous because we've got one sitting on the shelf ready to install into something and up to this moment I was rather excited to place it into service. We still haven't cranked up the Saito 36cc yet; I'll let you know how that goes. Have you been able to figure out what's wrong with the RCS 50-VT? We've been running the Moki gas radials without any problems, I was certain the single-cylinder version would run just as nicely. That's disappointing, especially, as you say, considering the cost!

outssider 05-05-2009 11:11 AM

I can give you the long version (of what's wrong) or the short version.

I'll start with the short.....

The carburetor is an "off the shelf" walboro. It is not designed for the strange demands of this motor. you must run a fat low end to keep it running consistently. I think it needs an accelerator pump built into the carb. Also Due to the engines case being vented, the carbs pump doesn't work well...i am using a perry/conely shaker type pump to increase the pumping.

then when you put the cowl on....look out....mixture will change....:(

Vintauri 08-31-2009 12:44 PM

Question for you guys. What are you using for struts in your Ryans? I have found a complete kit that has the original plastic/nylon struts but they don't look that great.

Does anyone still make aftermarket struts for these?

Mud Duck 08-31-2009 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to do a quick follow-up to my earlier post. We finally the opportunity to enjoy the maiden flight of the PT-20 and it went fabulously! We were so impressed with how smooth and steady this airplane flies, it is a real joy. It really looks great in the air as well. Prior to that first flight we went through the process of preparing the Saito FG-36 for flight and all of the bench runs went perfectly. Initially I was so impressed with this engine that I considered buying another one for a different airframe, but the true colors of this engine came to light during the two test flights. It’s a problem that appears to be very similar to the issues mentioned previously about the RCS VT-50; it appears to have a fuel draw problem. Whenever we would make a pitch change the engine would sag (and nearly die).

In our group, we have an expert engine guy and he finally came to the conclusion that there is some sort of a fuel flow problem. We eliminated everything but the carburetor itself as the problem and had to return it to Saito repair for service. Those guys are great to work with, but as also mentioned above, for an engine that costs this much, you wouldn’t expect to run into these kind of problems that should have easily been discovered during the R&D phase of the engine. We’ll let you know how it runs after it returns. Despite the problems with the Saito FG-36 it did seem to be a perfect match for this airplane when it did run properly.

The struts on top of the wing are after-market; they were purchased at one of the local hobby shops in our area. They are airfoil-shaped aluminum tubes and we ran a threaded rod down the center of each one to (hopefully) give them some more rigidity. They really look good and make the plane very handsome, but they can also be a pain and we imagine that we’ll have to repair or replace them from time-to-time even if you’re trying to be careful not to damage them.

I’m also attaching a few photos from the day of the maiden flight of the Byron (Ryan) PT-20. Thanks!

Vintauri 09-01-2009 09:31 AM

The photo's look great! The wing strut idea is good too. I think I have some airfoiled aluminum tubing that should work the same.

When I was asking about was actually referring to the landing gear struts. Did you use the stock ones?

Mud Duck 09-01-2009 01:25 PM

Oops, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully. No, the gear on this PT-20 was made by Sierra. The guy that owns Sierra apparently owned one of these very same model airplanes, so he made up some custom gear for them, which is why they appear to extend a bit further down than the original gear (they do). There is no comparison between what he made and the originals. If you use them, land very softly. [8D] (even if you don't, that is the best way to do it) Thanks for your comments on the photos. Post some photos of yours as well!

Vintauri 09-01-2009 01:44 PM

Ahh I'll give Darrell a call and see if he has another set or what it would cost to have them made. Mine is still un-started but if I get my other projects done it will be underway this winter. I'm just trying to gather gear so I have it on hand. Hoping to work on it before spring but we'll see.

Stickbuilder 07-26-2010 08:24 PM

Any of you guys still flying the ST-A? I just came by a pristine NIB kit, and am torn between building it, and getting rid of it. I'm kinda tied up with several Waco projects. Any ideas about the true value of an untouched kit? It's still in the box, and looks undisturbed.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Mud Duck 07-26-2010 11:11 PM

Bill, I don't know exactly what you'll get for it, but I have a feeling it will be more than you expect. They were selling quite high the last time I saw one go. Good luck.

Stickbuilder 07-27-2010 05:34 AM

I'm thinking about building it. I'd probably use Maxey Hester's color scheme. I think that its prettier than the Silver/Yellow scheme.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Mud Duck 07-28-2010 12:56 AM

I am not familiar with Maxey Hester's color scheme, but if it was done by him I have no doubt that it will look fantastic on your airplane. He was a great and friendly man.

foodstick 07-28-2010 04:44 PM

We had one at a club auction a couple years ago..finished, and immaculate..went pretty cheap if I recall. The byron warbird kits that were there sold for twice what the finished ST-A plane sold for..