RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   *ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/8668296-%2Aasm-cessna-182-10ft-30-50cc%2A.html)

akroblade954 02-09-2011 03:08 PM

RE: *ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Hi Matt

Wow! Your second thought sounds like a lot of work! The hole I had to drill through the spat is only 4mm dia so, on the basis the ply is epoxied to the spat there is zero loss of strength to the spat and almost un-noticable little piece of white tape over the 4mm dia hole. It was really easy to do, very strong and very easy to get the wheel back out. I like your idea of making the bit of tape into a visible access hatch though! Could make it look like the tire inspection hatch on the full size;)

Cheers

Adrian

profmb 02-09-2011 03:18 PM

Yes mate - why take the easy route when there is a more complex way of sorting it!!

profmb 02-09-2011 11:02 PM

The idea for the access hatch is taking shape....

See this photo of the full size...

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image86198.html

I thought that the full size must have the same issue - as how woud the spat be fixed!

Then I thought - hey search for the aircraft with the model registration...

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/8...1af84fcb368ed5

Sorted...

ianrussell 02-10-2011 08:05 AM

Well I'm all for an easy life. I have a mate who say's if anything is difficult to do, then you're doing it wrong.

I am thinking about going the easy route, as acroblade has done, don't know whether I have the expertise and skill to make a hatch, we'll see.

One thing someone could help me with is how easy is it to fix the hinges to the cargo door, I've looked at this many times, and put it back in a box till I need it, Well now i do.

Have looked at other way's and other hinges to make my life easy, but not decided yet.

Any assistance would be gratefull.

ARTF = Already To Fix

akroblade954 02-10-2011 02:08 PM

LOL The picture of the real version of the ASM looks like it has a hole which scales down to about the 4mm I drilled!! Might just take my bit of white covering tape off to make it look more 'scale':D:D

Guess what, I looked at the hatch many times too then putting it away!! Believe me, I am no builder (struggle with ARTF's at times) but it was dead easy when I actually did it. Just study the picture in the manual and drill the appropriate holes at approx the right angle and job done! I did not use the supplied sprung latch as i thought it was way too big. Picked up a smaller one at the local hobby store...

trekkair 02-13-2011 03:46 AM

GotSky,

Thanks for all of your info re: the Cessna. I've just started building mine and am planning to run a DLE-55 engine.
Could I ask the following:
1. What engine off-set if any did you require? I'm about to order a DLE-55 from the wholesaler in Australia and would like to order the correct engine offsets.
2. What muffler did you use? Is the standard muffler ok or did you use a pitts style or other style and if so where'd you source it from?

I'm planning on running after engine runin the 3-blade prop/comb that you run. (Why re-invent the wheel I say).

Cheers Lee
Trekk Air
Australia

ianrussell 02-21-2011 12:17 PM

Hi

Any one fitted any Lights to the Cessna yet. I was going to fit some on mine, but because of the position of the exhausts, I am unable to insert the light in the recessed holes in the cowl.

Looks like I may Have to put these in the front leading edge of the wing, as is shown on various full size pictues of this aircraft. Don't really want to start cutting the wing up but it looks like the only way.

Would be interested to here from anyone who may have done this to find out how easy/hard it may be.

Cheers

Ian

profmb 02-21-2011 02:37 PM

Hi Ian
I am getting Pegasus to make up my lighting system for me - ask for Craig. I have found a load of web sites with fittings which he will source from. I do not believe that you need to fit lights in the leading edge - these were fitted on a later version. I am putting a Saito 57FG in it which has flexible exhaust outlets so should be able to have the headlights fitted in the cowling.

I found the plane that the ASM was based on:

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/8...1af84fcb368ed5

The wiring will not be completely straightforward - the fin is solid balsa, so I am going to slice the leading edge and route a channel into it, so that I can run the cable up the the tip.

I reckon that the wings will need covering removed just beyond the servo location so that wire can be threaded to the tips for the nav lights.

Perhaps others have done this differently - but this seems logical to me....

Cheers

Matt

ianrussell 02-21-2011 02:55 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info, I have a CRRC 55 Twin in mine and the exhausts protrude slightly into the recess of the cowl, which makes it impossible to fit the lights. Have not been able to source a seperate exhaust for the engine which would make it possible for me to fit mine where I would like, still looking around.

I have the lights from Brain cube, Very Bright, comes complete with the controller for setting the rate of flashing, and is controlled via a switch on transmitter, but powered by a seperate 4.8 receiver battery.

Have not studied the Tail as yet, wasn't aware that it was a solid piece, will have to check mine.
Studying my options over the next few days before I go ahead with the fit

Cheers

Ian

Captmicom 02-21-2011 05:53 PM

Hey Guys,

This is Joe from Southwest AeroVista Hobbies out in Arizona. We have just become a dealer for this plane but I have not received my first one yet so bear with me because I am flying blind. If there is a rear hatch at the bottom of the fuse under the tail feathers, one way you can install your fin lights in a balsa wood fin is to take piece if heavy wire rod (4-40 or larger depending on the size of the wire on the lighting system) cut it to about 2” longer then the fin with a pair of diagonal cutters at a slight angle say 2 or 3 degrees. This rod is going to act as two things in this process. One will as a drill bit and the other will be as a pull for running the lighting wire through the fin. It might be a good idea to drill a pilot hole with regular drill bit to better define the direction that you want your home made bit to drill in. Once you have your pilot hole ready lock your rod into a variable speed cordless drill. While running it at a med range speed, carefully guide it through your fin and into the hatch in the bottom under the tail feathers. Once you have a clean hole in the fin, you can tape the lighting wires to the rod and pull it through the fin. If the manufacturer has used light plywood, you can go through it but be very careful while drilling to not bend your wire rod. You may need to use a smaller diameter piece of wire for your pull. You can use this for other types of installs as well. That is my 2 cents.

Joe

profmb 02-22-2011 10:46 AM

Well that is an idea...but in my opinion the fin is far too long for this type of 'drilling'. Today I have sanded down the leading edge of the fin with a bench sander, and then I have routed a length of hard balsa strip with my bench router. I have glued this to the sanded face. This provides me with a neat channel through which to thread the cable. I now have to sand the new leading edge to profile and the re cover. I guess it was about an hour of work to do this.

By the way, despite what I have read elsewhere, I see that the fin is not solid, but built up construction - it is sheeted in 1/16th balsa.

Cheers

ianrussell 03-12-2011 05:47 AM

Hi

Can someone help me. I have started to fit out the cockpit, my own way, using balsa. Whilst fitting the back shelf I noticed that it wouldn't lie level.
After further investigation I have found that the formers are not of equal height, one side is higher by about 3/8" and that the distance from the rear of the front section behind the door to the former on one side is at least 1/4 of an inch further forward than the other.

Could someone please measure theirs to see if it's the same as mine or different.

I'll be phoning Ripmax on Monday morning.

Ian

Captmicom 03-12-2011 08:04 AM

Hey Ian,

This is Joe from Southwest AeroVista Hobbies. I just looked at our beta unit that arrived yesterday and it appears that our unit looks to be off to about the same dimensions that you are quoting. If you look in the bottom of the fuse you should notice that the bulkheads have an alignment notch and that notch is off to one side. This is not uncommon when you are working with two different media in this case wood and fiberglass or PVC. One is laser cut the other comes out of a mold. You will need to proceed carefully to make the mod to fit your interior in the plane. Either shave down or shim up. Also be careful when using thin CA on and around the PVC panels of the fuse because too much on one spot can warp and or distort the panel from the heat when it kicks.

Joe
Southwest AeroVista Hobbies
520-508-7371

ianrussell 03-12-2011 09:17 AM

Hi Joe

Thanks for that info, I was beginning to think my model was a Late Friday afternoon, or an early monday morning job.

Have checked the notches as you suggested and they are the same as yours, must be the same on all the models. I'm going to be carefull with the fit of the cockpit.
Thanks for the info about the glue, I had totally forgot about that.

Cheers

Ian

profmb 03-12-2011 11:33 AM

No measured mine Ian, but one thing that I am not happy about are the several different tones of white - not least of which is the white of the fin against the abs fuselage. I am also tempted to spray it all one colour but that would leave the rest of the fuse off-white - so not sure what is best to do!

Cheers
Matt

ianrussell 03-13-2011 03:19 AM

Hi

Have been checking a few things on my cessna regarding the difference in the height of the formers.

Here's what I've found.

Up until the former before the rear window, everything is level inside the cockpit to the engine. The former before the rear window is not level. The two outer tubes to place the Aliminium tube in are not level.

When the rear section is attached, the red & black stripes do not meet, they are up one side & down on the other by about 1/8". I can only insert two of the bolts on one side, as the other side the holes are slightly of line and would have to make the holes a bit larger.

I am now convinced mine was built the morning after the night before.

Ian

ARTF = Already To FIX

ianrussell 03-19-2011 11:16 AM

Hi

Well my Cessna is winging it's way back to Ripmax, after explaining the problems to them they have agreed to replace the whole kit. Should be with me in the next couple of weeks. then it's start all over again. But first check out everything is level and fits properly.

Full marke to Ripmax

Ian

Captmicom 06-22-2011 09:08 PM

Hey Ian,

This is Joe from Southwest AeroVista Hobbies in Arizona. Did you get your new 182 yet? I hope all is well with your new project and the build is going smoothly. I got a wild hair about two weeks and started putting my ASM 182 together. We are using one of our outstanding RCGF 55cc engines for power, a hand full of our AV Pro high torque metal gear digital servos for the moving parts and of course the Spectrum radio for guidance. Well after making about 30 different mod to the thing I got it finished last Saturday. The bad part is now that it is ready to fly the winds out here in Southeast AZ have been ridicules. Anyway we are going to load it in the trailer and take it to Albuquerque NM for a giant scale fly-in the week end of June 24, 2011. It should get a lot of attention there. I am looking forward to flying it.

Take care,

Joe

ianrussell 06-22-2011 09:58 PM

Hi Joe

Yes I did get a complete new kit, which I checked out for fitting as soon as I got it. It is fine.
Unfortunately I have not had time to start the build because the flying season is upon us & I'm away most weekends doing just that.
weather dependant. Hope to start in a few weeks to build, will keep in touch.

Hope you have a good time at the show this weekend, I'm off to one also.

Take Care

Ian

ianrussell 06-30-2011 06:50 AM

Hi, Can someone do me a favour, I have just started puttung my cessna together and have noticed that on the trailing edge of the ailerons is bare wood, I'm sure my last one was either covered or painted. It's the same on the edge of the ailerons and one side of the Flaps. Yet the elevators are fine. Could someone check if their's is showing bare wood or is painted.

Thanks

Ian

profmb 06-30-2011 07:45 AM

Hi Ian
Mine is painted. Sounds like you will want to send these back too!

Mine is well progressed - but slowed recently as I am so busy at work. I plan on spary painting the fin down to the top of the fuse, because the usightly join of th abs and the Oracover.

Cheers

ianrussell 06-30-2011 08:05 AM

Hi Matt

Thought as much, easier to go get a litre of paint at B&Q than send it back. But will inform Ripmax.

Cheers

Ian

Captmicom 06-30-2011 08:11 AM

Hey Ian,

Mine is painted.. But on the inside of my flaps were bare.... Oversight is my guess. I know it is a pisser but I would just fix it if I were you because the next one you get might be even worse.... My thoughts

Joe

Pavuk 07-24-2011 11:51 AM

Hi Guys,

I have buyed this plane in january. I did somthing nasty too it. I ordered a 80cc ZDZ boxer engine with electric starter. Now after i red all your messages i am not sure to install it. it is not too heavy for this plane? i modifyied this plane to serve as "glider thow plane", thats why i have ordered this kind of engine. to install tthis engine it is necessary to move the firewall 1.5 cm inside the plane. what is your opinion on this. should i proseed with engine installation or buy smaller engine? what are you expiriences with c.g. on this plane?

thanks fou your opinion.

BR
Daniel

profmb 07-25-2011 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Pavuk,
I have yet to find the C of G - but I am using a Saito 57T - so it will be similar in configuration to a boxer. I suspect that the engine might be a bit big - but I am no expert on these things. I suspect though that you will have a bit of work to move the engine rearwards - I had to set mine back about 10mm, so I routed out the fixing area, and then use alu plates behind the firewall to ensure a strong fixing. I attach a photo of my engine mounting ( I have subsequently moved the regulator and battery). The engine does fit neatly in the cowl without having to cut holes in it.

I have read that others have need to put weight in the nose when using a smaller engine - so you may find that you do not need to with yours. If however, you do need to counter the nose weight, then there is an abs tail moulding that fits on the end of the fuselage, and you could put weight in that?

I hope that this helps