RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Bob Nelitz 1/3 Scale J-3 Short Kit build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/9340619-bob-nelitz-1-3-scale-j-3-short-kit-build.html)

misterbill 05-26-2011 08:18 AM

RE: Bob Nelitz 1/3 Scale J-3 Short Kit build

Check out post #49 on this thread (Page 2?) for Billy's aileron method, or the other Nelitz Cub thread for more info, I believe from FrequentFlyer.

The other thread is here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm

I think Dubro are the only big Cub wheel people.

Mike

evarnad 09-08-2011 05:40 PM

Hey Guys,
I can't figure out how the wing aileron servos are attached have two ways it could be.

1. permanently glued, if so how are they changed out.

2. the mount is fitted to stop even with the outer wing rib and is held in place by the fuselalge rib.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Wayne

misterbill 09-09-2011 03:22 AM

Wayne - go more modern.

The servo's at the wing root will cause you to have to use bell cranks if you follow the now, pretty old, engineering on Bob's plans.

Rather situate the ailerons outboard where the aileron horns are & use servo extension leads.
The ribs are so large, I have mounted mine directly in the rib - puts the servo arm in direct line with the horn - with an access hatch in the lower wing surface for maintenance.

Hope that helps,
Mike

evarnad 11-04-2011 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Misterbill
In the attached picture I have a question about the x-section note in the cabin area.
The members I have circled in red should they be cut down the thickness of the plywood doubler as the note shows but the upper and lower members circled blue should not be cut.
Or are they all cut or none cut, some times it appears they are all cut, then again it appears none are cut.

If you recall, please let me know and thanks in advance.

Hopefully the picture appears

Wayne

misterbill 11-05-2011 03:26 AM

Hi Wayne - yes they all are. Flatten them on one side by the thickness of the doubler.

The plans as you have seen indicate just a bevel at the bottom longeron but it really doesn't affect anything appearance-wise, and flattening off the dowel makes for a much better joint.

The top one I flattened as well, but rounded the top of the ply doubler on the inside of the cockpit to match the dowel shape on the outside - covered you wouldn't know its not a piece of tubing. Hope that's understandable!

Good luck with the build.

Cheers,
Mike

airplanegeek 11-08-2011 05:46 PM

is the short kit still available? and if so how much?

evarnad 11-09-2011 05:02 AM

Check Post #76

$190 plus packing and shipping .The dummy engine will cost $30 to be cut plus packing and shipping

Please contact Alex Guzman at:

by email: [email protected]

Bought one 3 or 4 months ago, good wood and nice job.

Wayne

airplanegeek 11-10-2011 06:40 PM

thank you

airplanegeek 11-17-2011 06:27 PM

any suggestions for a gas four stroke for this bird

gordon_mcln 11-18-2011 07:41 AM

I'm using the twin Saito 57cc for mine.

airplanegeek 11-22-2011 07:16 PM

are there any moki 50cc singles out there? I think the combo would work nice.

rotorboy2.4gh 12-07-2011 09:47 PM

Hi guysI have been out awhile,But im back. I had a move,-lost all info on my computer-and built a busa 1/3rd sopwith pup,-NOW BACK TO THIS BEAUTIFULL PLANE!! I will be on till completion this go around. I have one and 3/4s wings done along with the rudder and will post pics tomorrow. I am a little confused about the aileron build. I will go back in the threads and study again. I am looling for all the bits of metal guys had to offer for the landing gear and what ever else I need. I have the fiberglass cowl. All you guys have been AWESOME the last time I was on. I will be of coarse asking MANY questions again. This has been one of the VERY best threads I have ever been on!! Any advice or help would be DEEPLY appreciated!! ANYONE have a landing gear kit so to speak of?? I have a busa windsheild if it will work and how about a seat,dash,or anything else-MISTERBILL?????? YOUR THE MAN! I have bear decals along with the piper decals-Need the rest,-Lighting bolts and such!! Frank Vitale!

frank99 12-07-2011 10:57 PM

will you finish mine thanks frank

rotorboy2.4gh 12-08-2011 01:00 AM

Hey Frank, If your serious-mail me!! [email protected] Frank!

rotorboy2.4gh 12-08-2011 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is about where I am at! I built some jigs for all the hard wood ends that will hold three peices at a time-VERY handy! Sorry for the last pic of Sopwith pup stuff!

rotorboy2.4gh 12-09-2011 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the last post-my Crappy pics made my spars looked tweekedThey ARE NOT!! AND DON, Thanks for the info. I am just a little tight right now. But I WILL COME TO YOU, as your work looks OUTSTANDING!!THANKS!! Frank Vitale!

rotorboy2.4gh 12-09-2011 12:11 AM

Has anyone completed their cub?? any Videos-How bout you Mr. Bill? Frank Vitale-Im gonna catch up QUICK!!! COME ON NOW!!

frank99 12-09-2011 01:37 AM

sweet, my plane would be nice in your hands, where in mo are you at ? thanks fank

rotorboy2.4gh 12-09-2011 03:16 AM

Hey FrankI am in Saint Louis!!Frank V.

misterbill 12-09-2011 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not quite done, but nearly.

Here are some pix to keep you guys going - keep at it, it's really worthwhile.
They're basically interior shots as that's what I'm finishing up right now.

It's taken a while but it is coming together well, and hopefully in the not too distant future it will be capable of emerging from my basement workshop.
Don't have enough room in there for an overall assembly (or picture!), so that will have to wait till it's hangered in the garage.

Basically I just have the dummy Continental to finish dealing with (the cylinders are already done), the cowl to paint and a few under wing bits, and then 'roll on flying season'!

Cheers,
Mike

rotorboy2.4gh 12-09-2011 10:27 AM

Mike-TRULY AMAZING!! As I stated long ago, your build of this MARVELOUS plane is the standard I am shooting for. Where can a guy get some interior bits from-or just scratch it? Thanks for the pics mike!

misterbill 12-09-2011 11:36 AM

Aah ...the good old fashioned hard way.....DIY!

Not that hard, just takes time. And more time...
I'm doing the panel right now, then the windscreen goes in.
I'll post some more pix as it happens, but don't hold your breath, there's that other sidetrack looming at this time of year...

Cheers,
Mike

airplanegeek 12-09-2011 04:46 PM

I thought I was looking at the full scale! WOW good job. Keep the pictures coming !

dadragon 12-09-2011 09:57 PM

I built the nelitz cub about 4 yrs ago,all the fuse was alum tubeing using metalweld apoxy and after 51 flights off land and with floats its still holding together well.the only part of the wing I used alum was the tips,they roll rite out then a little tweeking and bam wing tip.your build looks realy good too.

rotorboy2.4gh 12-10-2011 02:30 AM

And I thought I was doing good with the hard wood jigs I madeI remain humbled.[&o]-Frank!