Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Please help

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Please help

Ive been flying nitro/gassers for years and want to get into electrics. I've got a nitroplanes tucano that I want to go electric with. It's the perfect plane because it's narrow cowl and being the full size is a turbo prop, the sound of an electric motor would be close. Most of the planes are coming in at 12-15lbs and are using 1.20 four strokes and 1.08 two strokes.
I've been readin and reading, tryingto figure out the best motor/esc/batt combo and to be honest it's so much more complicated then gas power I'm on the verge of giving up. I would really appreciate some advice on what the more expiernced guys out there would use. I'd of course like as much power with little weight as possible.
I would really, really appreciate some help with this. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Please help

Hi,

Since you are familiar with glow and gas power, a good place to start is by selecting a brand of electric motor that uses the same numbering scheme. One example of this is the E-flite Power Series motors. These motors can be purchased on-line or at your local hobby shop. The product page link provides suggestive set-ups. For smaller size props, use more LiPo cells to obtain the desired 2000 watts of power. In other words, if you want to use a 15" prop, use a 10s LiPo pack.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4110A]E-flite Power 110 Brushless Outrunner Motor[/link]

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you so much! That's what I was really hoping to hear. I'm sure I'll eventually be knowledgeable about the in's and out's, I just needed a jumpstart.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem. I think you will like electric flight once you become more familiar with it.

To convert watts to horsepower use this formula: 1h.p. = 746 watts

I usually just say 750 watts per h.p. so the Power 110 motor can produce 2000 watts or 2.7 h.p.