Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Converting a .46 trainer to electric

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Garfield81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Converting a .46 trainer to electric

I have a 5 year old .46 glow trainer that I have been barely able to get in the air due to engine issues. So I have been told to convert it to electric to enjoy the hobby more. Since I have no clue about electrics this is what I found I would need based on what I am told along with some questions.

1.) MonsterPower 46 (670kv) OutRunner Brushless Motor? Is that good for .46 glow conversion? (Have been told it's cheaper and better than most electric motors out there)
2.) 40A Brushless Electric Motor Speed Controller ESC [Volcano Series]. Does this have BEC or do I not need BEC? I see another product without BEC and it is but more dollars (shouldn't it be the other way round)? Also how does the 40A or 60A relate to the motor?
3.) Do I need the Exceed-RC Brushless ESC Programmer Device for Volcano Series? If so what does it do?
4.) What kind of LiPo batteries would I need? I have read about 2s, 3s and 5s.
5.) I believe I would need a field charger and/or get additional LiPo batteries.
6.) Finally would this all work with Spektrum AR8000 rx?

Thank You in advance for your time.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Converting a .46 trainer to electric

Hi,

The MonsterPower 46 should be a good choice for your .46 glow trainer conversion. A 40-amp ESC should work fine. A 60-amp ESC will run cooler and give you more headroom if it is not mounted in the air flow. For a few extra dollars, it is usually worth the investment.

A 3-cell 4000mAh pack with a 12x10 prop will be a good place to start. If you decide that you want more power then you can try a 13x10 prop.

The ESCs will have a BEC built in so no need for a receiver battery and the Spektrum receiver will work fine with this setup.

I'm not familiar with the chargers at Xheli or Hobby Partz but you'll want a balancing LiPo charger that mates with the charging connector on the LiPo pack.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Garfield81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Greg,
So I assume the 3S stands for 3 cell. Is that a brand you would recommend that is good and not expensive for me to start off with including the charger.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a MP 46 in a Giles 202. I am running a 5s 5000mah battery and a 13.5X6 prop. Massive amounts of power, way more then you need or want in a trainer.

I would say to use a 60 amp ESC. I have been using this one.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html

I have not needed the program card yet. The card lets you change the setting of the ESC. You can change how the motor starts, a soft start is needed for helicopters, you can change turn on a brake in the ESC so the prop does not keep spinning after you cut the power. Plugs into throttle channel not battery slot on Rx. So far, with 5 servos I have not had a problem with the built in BEC. Seems to be working so far

I am using this charger. It works well for me.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

The AC/DC version of the same charger.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1003.html

Batteries

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-4000mah-4s1p-148-20c.html

online motor calculator.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

If you select eflite motors from the drop down menu, the numbers work for the MP. MP are copies of eflite, or so I have read.

I ran the number just to see what they are. MP 46, 4s 4000mah battery, APC "E" prop. The calc programs says 27 amps and 70 ounces of thrust and 14 minutes of mixed flight time. Moving up to a 13X8 prop, says it will be pulling 41 amps, 101 ounces of thrust and almost 10 minutes of flight time. With the 13X8 prop, it has 6.3 pounds of thrust, so that should let you have some fun with the trainer.

I found that I can fly a lot longer then it says I can. On my 60 sized trainer I put a MP 60 in with a 6s battery, it said I would have about 11 minutes of mixed flight time. Well I was up for just over 20 minutes and had not hit the cut off voltage yet. I know I was close, but I flew mixed flight almost twice as long. So take what it tells you as a guide to what you may get.

Here is how I mounted my motor. It may or may not work for you.

Buzz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68566.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1613035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22769.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1613036  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Garfield81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buzz,
Thanks for your reply. Two questions

1.) Whats the difference between the two chargers. Also do they connect to a gel battery which I charge using a wallcharger?

2.) I like your motor setup. Were those custom mounting screws/extensions you made?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM
TedMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will find answers to all your questions in the stickies. One thing about converting from glow to electric is the glow planes are built much heavier.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Garfield81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TedMo,
When you say the planes are built heavier is that a good thing for glow or electric?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM
TedMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not very good for electric, however doable.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes some planes are built like tanks. Over built with lots of strength to hold the engine. Some do not work well as electric. Yet some do very well. The trainer should not have a problem.

The two chargers, one is DC only, the blue one, you hook it up to a 12v battery to charge your lipos. The gold one plugs into the wall or a 12v battery. So you can charge at home or the field.

The mount is hard plastic tubing, 12-32 threaded rod, 10-32 blind nuts, 10-32 nyloks and fender washers. Make it as long or short as you need.

You might want to weight the plane now with the radio gear in it so you know how much power you will need. I do not think you will need more then the MP 46 with a 13X8 prop and a 4s battery.

Buzz.