Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

mounting a large brushless need mount help

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

mounting a large brushless need mount help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:42 PM
swfla
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting a large brushless need mount help

I am converting a 30CC plane and I need a mount the will hold the outrunner 6 1/2" from the fire wall to the thrust washer 40-50MM type Scorpion The X large GP one only extends around 3.6" Not sure if standoffs and the X mount would flex to much. Any thoughts????
Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mounting a large brushless need mount help

Are you pretty sure the GP stands only extend to a mere 3.6"? I am pretty sure they are much larger than that. I did make my own stand offs for my MidWest CAP 232, the stand offs were about 5". Fabricated from aluminium. The OD is about 8mm BUT you need a wider base so that the mount is stable. Try to check with 2Dogs RC, DualSky make some stand offs, some are big enough to handle the larger motors. Also, you can use the GP mount and then attach the motor to the mount using the face where the X mount would be attached. Do I make any sense?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 AM
swfla
My Feedback: (145)

Thnaks for the input. Your question on length caused me to recheck GP and you were right the 3.6 is collapsed and it is 4.6 extended still wont work BUT you did have a great idea to use the mount and then extend from the max length with stand off's so I am chewing on that. could not find anything on 2 dogs or dual sky i am still looking IF you find anything please let me know and again good idea on the mount+ standoffs + X mount.. Joe
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I used 2 sets of standoffs with a sub-firewall in between on a Midwest AT-6 and Monster Power 160. The sub-firewall really helped prvent any twist.
used a similar set-up on my T/F Mustang, but only 1 set of standoffs. Both motors are very stiff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79603.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1622203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92236.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1622204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50279.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1622205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59476.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1622206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38607.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1622207  
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Ryanfan
My Feedback: (1)

Greg Covey shows how to make mounts using PVC pipe fittings on his site. These can be very inexpensive and make a very ridgid and light weight mount. Hobby Lobby also sells aluminum mounts that I've used several times that adjust up 6".
Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
tIANci

TLH's sub-firewall is important to give you a sturdy base, if not, use some larger OD stand offs that are perhaps only 3mm long on the base like some washer to make it sturdy. The narrower standoffs have a tendency to bite into the wood and the mount will be shaky or susceptible to twisting etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 AM
vmsguy

Worst case scenario...

You can make stand-offs from scrap plywood. Just cut into squares, maybe 1/2" (or 3/4") square, and drill holes in them. You gotta have some scrap ply lying around.. yes? Some 1/2", soem 1/4" and 1/8" scrap.. and you're all set...

Cut as many as needed.

I use the sub-firewall method too.. It allows for re-motoring, without hacking up the plane. Just cut/drill a new sub-firewall. If there's room in the engine bay, you can mount the ESC to the sub-firewall too.. Nice cooling that way.

On my Telemaster, I made a box out of 1/4" ply. It was without the top, and back. The box was held onto the firewall, and the motor onto the box. It's essentially the sub-firewall with added sides and bottom. This allows for adding weight behind the motor (in the box). I never needed the weight, but it provided a place. (I did a build thread on here somewhere. There are pictures if needed.) But the point is, it allowed me to set the sub-firewall at precisely the location I wanted, and I didn't have to mess with spacers. And absolutely no fear of twisting.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99..._1/key_/tm.htm (post 99)