Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

HELP...I need advice on a SIG 4 Star 40 conversion!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HELP...I need advice on a SIG 4 Star 40 conversion!

Hi,

A friend of mine wants me to convert his SIG 4 Star 40 to electric, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on what power system to use? He said I could keep all the glow equipment in the airplane for doing it.

He has an OS .46AX in it right now, and would like to have similar performance after the conversion. The airplane weighs 5 lbs 2 oz with no fuel in the tank, before the conversion.

If it was my airplane I'd just use an E-flite Power 46 with 4-cells. As I have this setup in one of my airplanes and am extremely satisfied with the performance (I'm using an APC 14x7E prop).

My problem with his airplane is that he asked me to try and come up with a power system that will use only 3-cells if possible. I know you can only get so much power out of 11.1V. But does anyone know of a power system that would satisfy his request? We determined that he'd need a system that would supply somewhere around 550W to perform the way he'd like (at least according to the performance chart E-flite includes with all their motors).

Radical RC has a conversion chart on their SIG 4 Star 40 web page that lists a Himax 2528-1000 motor on 3-cells, with a 12x6 prop, producing 501W (although Himax lists this motor with a max of only 450W). Other than that, I don't know enough about this stuff to know whether it is even possible to get the performance he is after on only 3-cells? I noticed that they list Rimfire .32 motors starting at 11.1V. But I don't know what prop to use, or what kind of performance I'd get from this motor. I know I get 450W out of the Rimfire .25 with an APC 12x6E prop.

So before I buy a system that may not give him the performance he's after. I was wondering if somebody could help me out in choosing a power system for this conversion?

...I'd prefer buying the components from Tower Hobbies, if possible. As I'm a member there, and get considerable discounts.

I'd appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thank you,

Mark
Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
ray foley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HELP...I need advice on a SIG 4 Star 40 conversion!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HELP...I need advice on a SIG 4 Star 40 conversion!

Never mind...I talked the guy into using the same setup I got in my 30 size airplane (an E-flite Power 46 with 4-cells).

Mark