Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

1/2A glow Mustang to electric convertion help

Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2A glow Mustang to electric convertion help

I have an old House of Balsa (I think) 1/2 A Mustang I would like to convert to electric. I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around all the numbers as I'm an old nitro pilot from way back before there was even the thought of electric. I understand XXX watts per pound but am having trouble with "KV" ratings. I know higher KV + higher RPM. Do I want to duplicate the TD.051 rpm range and prop or.......... something else. I'm not looking for extreme speed just "sprightly" performance, in character with a Mustang.

After removing all the glow "stuff" and sanding off the two or three coats of K&B epoxy paint I have a bare airframe that weighs about 10 1/2 ounces. I need to fix the elevator and may just replace the complete tail assembly with new light wood as the old stuff has to come off anyway as the control horn is internal. I expect to add back about 1 to 1 1/2 ounces with paint again.

What should I look for in a motor? Any suggestions as to a motor to use? I wish to learn from this so if you make a suggestion, I would like your thought process on how you came to that conclusion. Oh, I suppose the battery and ESC figure into the equation also. Venting the fuse should not be a problem.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM
M-Blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/2A glow Mustang to electric convertion help

hello!!! I have a p-47 thunderbolt I'm trying to convert to electric as well. I plan using a 480 1020kv with a 30 amp esc. The box says 20-28oz plane but the equipment I'm using might knock that down a bit. I've noticed the firewall has a slight downward pitch in it so I'm thinking maybe I'll stick a washer in each of the left side motor mount screws to get a small amount of right thrust. As far as the rest of the plane, I have pretty much stayed with the plan that came with it.. If you have any advice I'd like to hear it! I think the plane you are converting is  the same kit series as my p-47.. It has a 36" wingspan and calls for .059-.10 2-stroke motor. Kit number for p47 is K-12 so your mustang is probably a K-?. I'll let you know what I discover as I continue the build!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
M-Blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yeah, The reason I chose the motor setup with a 480 is because I have a Tower hobbies P-51 that is pretty much the same size as the thunderbolt... Look on the tower website for suggestions for you plane. Its a foam P-51 that sells for $114.XX that tower contracted through Great Planes so it has a thunder tiger connector for the esc and the electronics seem to be good.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

M-Blaster, I think all the HOB 1/2A planes are the "same", well for the most part except for the wing shape may be a bit different. In fact (don't quote me though,) I think the P47 only changes the shape of the training edge of the wing, and the plastic top half of the fuse is different. The rest is the same?????

This came from another forum so take it for what it's worth.....

Use a Scorpion 2205-36 motor, APC 6-4E prop, 15 amp controller and a 3 cell 1000 MA LIPO battery pack

That above is courtesy of HOB tech support in an email to me when I inquired last year.

That particular motor is no longer in production. The KV is higher than what you have in mind but it might fly as well. I really have no clue about electric stuff. It looks like there is some stock around and the replacement motor is much higher priced.... Imagine that!

Ken
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
M-Blaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Ken, I just wanted to let you know that I finished my P-47 and I took it to my local hobby shop and talked to a guy who had done this before. He seems to think that it will fly great the way I have it set-up.As described in the previous messages I used the eflite 480 910KV motor , 1800 mah battery ,3 Hitec HS65mg servos , 5ch spectrum rx. The plane balanced perfect with all equipment installed and weighed in at 28oz on the dot. I was fairly impressed with how well it turned out since it seemed a little cramped for my equipment but everything fit snugly and securely. I'll try to put some photos up to show you what I came up with. BTW how is your project going?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am building an Ace Mach None. It is a nice old pattern type plane. I struggled big time to find a motor that would give me the power I wanted. I found a lot of them out there that would pull it along very nicely, yet they were low KV and used a big prop. I wanted a small prop and higher KV motor. I went round after round through the online calc programs. I found [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma68-2205-3400kv.html]This motor[/link] I have run a few simple tests on it. I am not convinced my watt meter is telling me the truth. I ran a APC "E" prop, 6x4. I was getting 2.6 pounds of thrust on my scale and just under 700 watts.

I know, I am not sure I believe it and I was doing the test. I did the math and it was pulling 62 amps. That is of course static and for less then 20 seconds. It was not even warm yet so, I am going to try it and see how long it holds up. Should last a few flights.

I have looked at a few of the in runner ducted fan motors. I tried [link=https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224177]This in runner[/link] I started with a 4x4 prop and worked up to a 4.75x4.75. Best I got was 28 ounces of thrust and it was getting warm after 30 seconds with the 4.75x4.75 prop. That would be enough to fly it, but I want it to have as much if not more then the old screaming TEE DEE 0.051 with a 6x3 and 30% nitro.

Buzz.