Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pheonix Models Sukhoi Conversion

I'd been looking for an EP Sukhoi, but didn't see anything I wanted to buy, so I started looking for a glow engine ARF. Prices are fairly inexpensive for glow models in the 40 size range and saw a good deal from Omni Models with free shipping. The Pheonix Models Sukhoi is perfect for EP conversion since it has a large radial cowl and the muffler cut-out is ideal for the battery placement. Cowl doesn't need to be removed for installing or removing the battery pack. Weight range of 5.5-6 lbs is good for a 32-46 size EP motor and 3-4 cell Lipo packs. I used a wood EP motor mount which moves the 32 size EP motor out 2" from the firewall and very little lead weight is needed. Battery is a 3900 mAh 3 cell pack that sits in the airstream of the underside of the fuselage. I'm using a very light power setup to help keep the weight down. I plan on flight testing the model this weekend and will give a flying update then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46873.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	1700479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71928.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1700480  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Pheonix Models Sukhoi Conversion

It was a sunny and breezy morning when I flew the EP converted Sukhoi at a soccer field by my house. Flying off of grass has it's own challenges, but I got the airplane airborne. It wanted to climb which is a good indication that I had too much prop or more nose weight needed to be added since I balanced it right at the CG mid-point. It wanted to bank left which is good since I was at the far right side of the field, I decided it was too windy to get a good feel for the way it was flying so I landed it without any problems. I would recommend a size 40 EP motor as the 13" prop I used was the only reason it even got off the grass. It will fly but very little aerobatic flying can be had. I'm still interested in a Sukhoi, so maybe I can find a 25 size EP ARF or a 30 size glow ARF for sale for my 30 size power setup.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next attempt for a glow to EP conversion will be an old EZ Extra 230 25 size ARF. I bought this many years ago on ebay for $60, was previously flown with glow power. Since the Sukhoi project didn't work as hoped, I'll try to get this flown in a few days. Better luck with something already in the same power range. The nice thing about 25 size and smaller models, they can be left setup with the wing attached for transport or storage.

Name:	Ca81799.jpg 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1702313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12299.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	1702314  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great flying weather today. I took the Extra 230 out to test the 32 size motor on it. Since I'd never flown it after I'd bought it, I wasn't sure how it would fly on EP. It's a heavy model compared to my Hyperion 25 size Cap, which I'm now flying with a 10 size EP motor. The initial flight had no problems and just needed some up and left trim and more aileron throw on the next flight. Again a little heavy and I wasn't ready for the sink rate and landed just hard enough to knock the landing gear off. Easy fix, but I wouldn't recommend any EP motor smaller than a 30 size and 11" prop to fly these older EZ ARF models on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After striking out on finding a Sukhoi in the 25-30 power range, I found another EP conversion candidate. I came across an old Model Tech Extra 300 ARF on ebay for the 1990 price including shipping. Very few 25-30 size models compared to 40 size airplanes on the RC market. This model appears to be lighter construction than the EZ Extra 230 model. I removed the wood glow motor mount and added my EP wood mount and it fits just right with very little modification. I'll use the same technique I used on the Extra 230 and add the battery pack under the motor mount and thru the firewall. Most aerobatic airplanes have a short fuselage and the battery pack needs to be moved as far forward as possible to keep from adding too much additional weight to balance the model. I'll update this post as I move along to finishing and flying this ARF.

Name:	Bz77384.jpg 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1706426  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Time to fly. I have it ready for it's maiden tomorrow and the weather should be great. I will say this ARF is much lighter than EZ Extra 230, not surprising since the early EZ ARF kits were very heavy. I like the color scheme on this one with the red and white on top and mostly blue and white on the bottom. I'll update this post after I get at least one flight on it.

Name:	Qo38659.jpg 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	1709867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71383.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1709868  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice flying airplane and much lighter than the EZ Extra 230 model. I would recommend this model as an EP conversion, it flies very well with a 30 size EP motor and an APC 11x7E propeller on it. The ailerons were were set for 85% throw on initial flight, but I'd dial in 95% for better roll rate as these are strip ailerons. After flying 3D models that are light and have large control surfaces, this model flies more like a sport model that's a solid flyer and would make a great addition that is aerobatic and scale in appearance. I'll update this post if any other glow models in the 30 size parcel range just happens to get dropped off at my doorstep. Good flying to all!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is an update for the Phoenix Sukhoi power setup, I finally got around to getting an Eflite 46 EP motor to see how it flies for anyone interested in making an EP conversion. The mods were very small if noted in photos, even with a 4 cell battery. I removed the EP motor mount for the 32 EP motor and mounted the Eflite 46 right to the firewall as the motor/battery are much heavier than the 32 EP setup was. The battery still fits between the cowl and muffler cutout for glow power. This power setup has more than enough power as I flew most of the time at half throttle, take off had no problem and landing was predictable with a slightly heavier model, but no bad tendancies.

Name:	Vt56256.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	1841596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99191.jpg 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	1841597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb74473.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	1841598