Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

SIG Kadet LT-40 Glow-To-Electric Trasnformation!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

SIG Kadet LT-40 Glow-To-Electric Trasnformation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SIG Kadet LT-40 Glow-To-Electric Trasnformation!

Hi guys!

Just opening this thread to document my GLOW-to-ELECTRIC conversion of one LT-40 ARF that was placed at my RC Club's FREE PICKUP TABLE and I quickly took advantage and brought it home.

First, I had to get the 409 spray bottle and clean off all the slime from all areas of this model and make it smell better as it had perhaps several years and flights with GLOW powered IC Engines and it seems like the previous owner did not believe in cleaning.

Well, here is a picture of the model that I have as my present project:

For additional Specifications:
http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC67ARF.html

After many thoughts on the matter, I decided to use some power systems that I have had on hand for a number of years and still in very good condition. Since this "is" a "LARGE" trainer, I concluded that using a quality motor such as the ASTRO FLIGHT 60 Cobalt direct drive motor as the motor of choice will do well on this model as it has 900 sq.-in. of wing area and the style of flying will be exactly "Trainer" manner all the way.

Another reason for the selection to the ASTRO FLIGHT 60 Cobalt is the tremendous Tail Boom Weight that this model exhibits and the only motor that I have on hand to OFF-SET all this Tail Boom Weight was the AF 60 motor! Checking the Center-Of-Gravity, with the projected battery type and amount of cells the Center-Of-Gravity will be right on the mark without adding any Lead Dead Weight what-so-ever.

A few pictures of the power system:

I got about 4 ASTRO FLIGHT Brushed ESC's and several ASTRO FLIGHT "Brushed" Cobalt motors so, I will be taking advantage of them now that I have a large Trainer on my hands!

i found a used but, in excellent condition Futaba Skysport in almost brand new condition:

and, last night and using a 5-Cell, Sanyo, 2500mAH, Ni-MH, Receiver Pack and switch harness I was able to make this transmitter work with the 7-Channel Futaba Receiver:

All channels worked and using Futaba 3000 servos and Hitec 311's

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
guapoman2000

Default RE: SIG Kadet LT-40 Glow-To-Electric Trasnformation!

Okay, first some "BUILD" Assembly pictures:

Discovery of Lead Weights!

Removal of Lead Weights!

Astro Flight Connectors Securing

Receiver and showing the RF Choke

APC "E" 13 X 8 Propeller

Some Charging, Topping Off Batteries early this morning!

Selecting Flight Batteries!

At first I was serious considering 9S1P using some generic 3-Cell, 5000mAH, 12C discharge, Li-POLYs but, the weight of almost 3lbs. was just too much! Sure could use the Voltage, however....so, I continued to look for other alternatives.

The heavy are the ones in RED Covering:

Decided on these for my First Flight Batteries as these 2600mAH cells are just 1lbs. and 3oz. in the 8S1P configuration!

These are my 2nd Flight Batteries and they are even lighter, still in the 8S1P configuration!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
guapoman2000

FLIGHT SUMMARY:

The model taxi off with the Esprit Models (EM) Sport 2600mAH Cells in the 8S1P configuration and it was commanded to turn into the wind and down field. I stopped the model and got my nerves to relax and I should have known that this model is one exactly what the Doctor ordered as it was commanded for FULL Power, a little slow as the Grass field was very WET as we had lots of Fog early this morning and about 35 feet later and still going slow, I commanded UP Elevator and it gently lifted off like a giant SLOW STICK!

Once it was in the Air it gained very good Airspeed with the 13 X 8 propeller and I was able to throttle back about two clicks above 1/2 Throttle. At 3/4 Throttle I was able to command the model to perform very nice loops, rolls, and hammer heads without any issue or events.

Landings are just something to see for this Ton Tossy (estimate fully flight ready weight at right at 7.5lbs. or 8lbs.) as I commanded the model to glide in completely DEAD STICK and it kissed the top of the grass blades on a slight UP Elevator command and resulted with the mains to touch down first.

For about 5 Minute flight those EM Sport 2600's came ICE COLD and the ASTRO FLIGHT 60 Cobalt was Luke Warm to the Touch and I could keep my hand on the motor casing without any problem.

The same with the smaller 2200mAH Cells from China!

A few post flight results and wide angle pictures of the model after it's mission flights over Central Florida!

I can very well fit one (5-Cell Pack) and another (4-Cell Pack) for a total of 9S1P for additional Propeller RPMs but, I really enjoyed the manner in which the model flew today so, I will keep her with the 8S1P configuration for a while and use new batteries and double check for fully charge state.

Thank you Gerry!

More Pictures!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
guapoman2000

A few more pictures!

Landing Pics!

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
guapoman2000

In-Flight VIDEO of my SIG Kadet LT-40 GLow-To-Electric Conversion results!

Select Full Screen to appreciate it!

http://www.vimeo.com/27375544
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
guapoman2000

Hi Guys!

As promised, I have carefully setup as best possible setup to measure all aspects of using 9-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C Discharge, Li-POLYs "or" 9S1P configuration.

Some pictures of the setup first,

Safety Tether!

Flight Battery TOP-OFF:

NOW FOR THE VIDEO:

http://www.vimeo.com/27518089
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
guapoman2000

VIDEO OF TEST RUN:

http://www.vimeo.com/27518089
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
guapoman2000

Lets See about my Trusty P-Calc Program....seems like the results are a little high...

@ FULL POWER:

AMPs: 22.7 AMPs
WATTs: 583 Watts

Voltage
under
Load: 31.86 Volts

Efficiency: 80.5%

Prop RPMs: 8336 RPMs

Prop Pitch
SPEED: 63.1 MPH

Static
Thrust: 119.6oz. (7.5 lbs.)

==============================================

ACTUAL MEASURED DATA:

@ FULL THROTTLE:

AMPs: 16.45 AMPs
WATTs: 576 Watts

Voltage
under
Load: 35.86 Volts
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 PM
guapoman2000

Hi Guys!

It seems like by adding another Cell Li-POLY (another 4.15 Volts off-the-charger), I have effectively increased the overall capability of this power system as I have increased the Watts by 174 Watts additional!

Thereby, as previously posted, the fully flight weight (worse case) was:

8lbs. - 2 3/4oz. "or" 8.17lbs.

So,......

8.17lbs. / 576 Watts = 70.48 Watts / lbs.

I have effectively increased the Watt per Pound up another 20 Watts/Lbs.

I am a true believer of HIGH VOLTAGE SYSTEMS from now on for the larger Models!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
guapoman2000

Hi Guys!

I went ahead and uploaded all the Videos associated with this project up at YOUTUBE so, you all can see them via YOUTUBE right here.

4th Flight using 8-Cells Li-POLYs (2600mAH Cells):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EqUVLgmBo&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Ground Testing using 9-Cells Li-POLYs (2200mAH Cells):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWTKzu3noA&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 AM
guapoman2000

Took an opportunity to order Fresh (new) 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C Discharge Li-POLY packs a total of 4 Packs altogether so, I will have enough batteries for 2 Flights back to back as I already have two (2) 3-Cell, Turnigy, 2200mAH, 25C Discharge, Li-POLY packs. Of course these will go in for 9-Cells in series or (9S1P configuration).

The grand total for each pack including 4 day shipping (USA Warehouse) is right at $16.66 each but, that includes a 80/90-AMP ESC OPTO being shipped as well.

Not bad price at all and these will fit nicely in my LT-40 as shown in previous Test VIDEO.

The Esprit Model (EM SPORT) 2600mAH cells were the same dimensions as the Turnigy 2200's and they were 30C discharge but, they were about $36.00 more each pack! EM Sport 2600's were even skinnier / slender and fit much better with room to spare according to the dimensions but, my goodness, this project is suppose to be on the cheap!

Okay, it seems like I will fly my LT-40 Friday morning after all as weather conditions look very good.

Stay tuned.

Carlos
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
guapoman2000

Hi guys!

Just off the press!

The Video of my SIG Kadet LT-40 with the Monster ASTRO FLIGHT 60 Cobalt Motor using 9-Cells, 2200mAH cells (9S1P Setup) and swinging the APC "E" 13 X 8 Propeller.

Had another RC Club Member to do the Video "Mario" and he did a great job considering that he was not familiar at all with Video capture nor my small Sure-Shot Canon point and shoot camera.

A short Flight Summary would be that this heavy 8+ pound model had much more Thrust and slightly more airspeed to perform some spectacular Hammer Heads and fast Rolls than using the 8-cells setup. Had lots of fun and impressed those at the RC Club that once had the model in their ownership with the GLOW power system. One previous owner told me that it does not fly like a DOG anymore!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqRHompyTg[/youtube]
Old 08-05-2012, 02:49 PM
rcmodeler724

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted my LT-40 several years ago but went the outrunner route since I didn't have and motors lookng for a home at the time. I put a Turnigy 50-55-600 in the nose with a 12x8 APC on it. My gear must be shorted since a 13 would have been slicing grass on takeoff. Initial flights were done with a 22.2V 3000mAh lipo. The plane is a rocket with this setup. Takeoff roll on grass is maybe 6 feet to vertical climb out. Plane will fly with vitually no throttle. Idid some testing with a 14.8V I have for one of my jets. Pack is 2600mAh. With everything the same except the battery, takeoff was similar to the .46 that was on the nose. Nice climb and plenty of power for basic aerobatics. While I fly large scale and high performance models, in bothe gas and electric, Ifind it is a real joy to throttle back and float the LT-40 around the sky. Idon't have any numbers to post since Ihaven't taken the time yet to get them, having too much fun flying the plane. Only bad thing to happen to it was when I forget it was still on 72Mhz at the time and didn't pull up the antenna before takeoff....oooops. Didn't fly to far like that, trees got in the way. Damage was minor and has been repaired and it now flys with a 2.4gHz receiver.