Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Newbie to Electric Conversions - TACON 160 Monster Motor question

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Newbie to Electric Conversions - TACON 160 Monster Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 AM
dakoris73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to Electric Conversions - TACON 160 Monster Motor question

Hello there;

I've been flying Nitro gas planes for the last 4 years now, and am looking to convert an older Nitro Pattern plane into an electric pattern plane, but have been running into a quandry of questions. So I thought that I would ask here to see if I can get some assistance with this.

Despite the challenges of cutting the canopy and motor mount, what I am wondering is if anyone's had any experience with a TACON line of motors. I've recently been given a TACON Monster 160 Electric brushless motor (http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-big...335-245kv.html) , and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this motor. I wasn't able to locate much information on this motor, and I'm wondering if this motor will fly an 11lb pattern plane effectively.

I'm open to any and all information that anyone can offer regarding this motor, or about this conversion I'm about to undertake.

Thanks,
Mikey

Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
80sPattern

Default RE: Newbie to Electric Conversions - TACON 160 Monster Motor question

Dont know anything about Tacon motors.

If your converting an "older Nitro pattern plane" I doubt you have the prop clearance for the 18" or 19" prop that motor wants to swing. Older pattern models could mean a lot of things. If it is a Classic Pattern Plane from the 1980's then you might have room for up to a 13" or 14" prop. Therefore you will need a motor with a higher KV.

See this thread for my attempt at converting a Classic Pattern plane.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php

There is a lot to learn. I know, I'm going through it.

Doug

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
dakoris73

Sorry. I guess I should have been a bit more clear on the Pattern plane I'm converting. I've got an older 2 meter Focus Pattern Plane that used a YS140 nitro engine. I realize there's gonna be a lot to learn in doing this conversion, but I'm also wanting to know if this motor will do the job, and what I'm looking at going forward.

Thank you for your response and I'm eager to learn more about this whole electric conversion process, and hoping that I don't screw this up.

Mikey
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Tacon 60 and it is a great motor. Runs very well on a 6s battery swinging an 18X6 APC "E" pro.

If you mess around with [link=http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm]This online calc program[/link] you can try different setup and see what they do.

I put in a few numbers, motor Eflite 160, 10s battery, 20X8 APC "E" prop, gives 75 amps, 346 ounces (21.6 pounds) of thrust, 2534 watts of power.

Buzz.

P.S. That is one big dog!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
RACJ

I'm running Tacon 160 on 10S with APCe 20x8 on 30cc Yak. Tons of power. Runnng another one on GP P6e Hawk on 10S with 18x12. If your plane is 11lbs. with battery,the 18x10 or 12 should work good. You might get away with 17x12 but Ihaven't used that small a prop. At 11 lbs. target weight,I'd say ideally the Tacon or Eflight 110 on 8S with 18x10 would save a lot of weight,have plenty of power for pattern and longerflight times.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
dakoris73

RACJ; Thank you for that bit of information. What ESC are you using with your TACON 160? Also, what are you averaging on your flight times with the 10s setup? I was given the Tacon Bigfoot 160 motor with the Pattern Plane that I purchased. From the sounds of it, this motor will give me the vertical power that I'm looking for, just hoping that the flight times are good enough to be competitive in pattern contests.

Thanks again for all the information, and hoping that others will continue to post on these messages.

Mikey
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 AM
RACJ

My 10S set ups are 5000 Mah and I set timer on my DX8 for 10 minutes. Still battery left,I can do 12 minutes of strong flying but 10 minute flights work fine for my attention span and plantar fascitis in one foot. What size wet fuel motor was used on the pattern plane you have?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
dakoris73

My pattern plane used to have a YS 140 on it prior to me getting this plane. Sounds like this will definitely fit the bill of what I am looking for for this plane. This pattern plane is a full 2 meter pattern plane, and at an 11lb limit, should do just fine.

Thanks for the information on this, and looking forward to starting this modification here soon.

Mikey
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guys, I have the same questions. I even have the same plane ,original Focus, 2 meter plane ,weighs just under 11 lbs with An OS140 rear exhaust and tuned pipe. I am trying to find out what motor size and battery do I need to fly this plane. I have looked at some of the sites showing these calculation charts??? It can't be that complcated. Can anyone help with some proven simple suggestions/ Thanks, jmpups