Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>

Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>

Guys, I have to admit, I am electric power illiterate. I know less than nothing about them.

But I have this beautiful SeaGull Ultimate 90 I want to assemble and I have been going back and forth from gas to glow on power. That was until I witnessed a very large stick type sport plane, I'd guess 90" + that was electric and I have to admit, I am hooked on the ease and simplicity and best of all... NOMESS!

The SeaGull 90 Ultimate is a 54" span BiPe with 992 sq in of wing area and is supposed to weigh in around 10.5lbs. What type of motor & speed controller would you think I need for this? I realize this will be on LiPo but how big (cells and capacity) do you think I will require? Cost isn't as much of an issue as having the correct set-up that is well powered.

For example Great Planes has a Rimfire 1.60 63-62-250 outrunner motor that is claimed to be for a sport plane up to 20lbs and a 3D plane up to 12lbs. Is this sufficient? I have access to Castle Speed Controllers at a very fair price and have the Phoenix ICE from 100 amp to the 160 amp version readily available. Will these be sufficient as well?

If this works out, I am strongly considering my Big Hots 91" and my Super Hots 54" going electric as well. I am really interested in EP.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>

I just helped a friend put together a 110 sized pattern plane. Flies very well with this power setup.

He is using (2) 4s 5000mah batteries, 80 amp ESC, 6354 270kv motor, APC 20X8 prop. Pulls the plane like a rocket.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224337

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001070003

Buzz.