Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

ME 163 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ME 163 conversion

I have only nitro and gas helis and planes (ok, my indoor heli is electric) and now I am about to build a ME 163. This is a 40 size model, I am thinking about going electric.
This was designed by Brian Taylor/Bob Holmen
So what will I need ?
The motor should be in the same range as the 40 size glow, should be plenty of power for the small plane.
What size controller and battery ?
Any idea what prop size?
I will not get the most expensive equipment, Hobby King should have everyting I need to get into this...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ME 163 conversion

Hi OJ,
Just making some guesses - a 40 motor is somewhere around .9HP or 673 watts. So if you want similar power from an electric system, we would aim for about that much power.
The Hobby King G46 is equivalent to a 46 glow motor. 741 watts. $46 60A ESC in the $15 range. 5s3000mAh battery is about $25. Get more than one.
The 40 nitro motor is a bit under 10oz. Muffler a bit under 3oz. Fuel 9oz. Total nitro is close to 21oz

The HK motor and battery are 25oz. The extra watts of the electric system somewhat offset the increase in weight.

12x8 ~ 14x10 prop If you do not ahve access to a watt meter, get one. That will let you try a few different props and measure the current draw.

That is where I would start if I were converting a plane like this.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ME 163 conversion

Thanks for the answer. I made some mistakes with the size as I did not have the plane and manual when I wrote this. This model has just 44" wingspan and a 15 size would get it in the air, typical a 20-25 size makes it go.
So I already bought a G32 and it will have plenty of power.
I have a 12X6 folding prop on order, I think that is a good size to start with.
I am using a LiPo 4S with 2650 mah.