Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DC-3 electric conversion

Hi there all of you fans of the watt and the volt:

I'm working on the conversion of a Top Flite DC-3 (8-10 lbs.) to electric. So far I have the motors (Turningy G46 a .46 glow equivalent) and the esc (Turningy 60A). Now, which battery size do I need to run those two motors for about 8 - 10 minutes flights? Although I'm an experienced glow pilot this is my first electric. Your assistance is really appreciated.
    Blessed is the man who has a hobby for he has two worlds in which to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DC-3 electric conversion

Well if you look at this calc program, it give rough ideas of flight times. I have gotten longer flights then it lists. One said I would get about 17 minutes of mixed flying and i went over 30 minutes.

I have a Monster Power 46 with a 5s 5000 mah swinging a 13X6 APC E prop. I get 10 plus minutes of mixed flying easy.

The calc programs says 10 minutes on a 13X6, 12 minutes on a 13X5.

Are you setting this up with a battery per motor in each nacelle? or one central battery?

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your response Buzz:

I will be using two batteries, one per engine. This conversion will give me peace of mind by avoiding landing on one engine.
    Blessed is the man who has a hobby for he has two worlds in which to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys, I'm doing the Topflite DC-3 electric conversion my self and I would like some advice. I have brought 2 x Turnurgy G-32 600kv motors,
    2x 60amp speedys, 2x 4000ma 4 Cell lipos turning 13x8 props slightly cut down to clear fuse. Flat out each motor only produces 3lb thrust using about 35 amps or watts (I'm not sure). If this plane weighs around 10lb, will 6lb thrust be enough? Any advice wellcome, Regards Col Mitchell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello ANZAC, If your amp numbers are correct, you should be able to produce about 1100-1200 watts on your DC-3 on a fully charged battery. That would put you over 100 watts/ lb. Plenty of power for your plane. I would suggess you use a 30c or higher battery. You might want to experiment with a different size prop. Try a 12x9 3 blade and check youramp draw and thrust.