Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

KMP C47 electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP C47 electric conversion

I would like to convert my 102" KMP C47 to electric, I was planning on using 2 Zenoah 20 gas engines but after reading the post from Ty about his wellington Im hooked. Some help please! the manufactuor states a flying weight of 20Lbs (Gas) but I think 25 Lbs is a better and more realistic weight, 102 inches for the wingspan but here's the sticky bit. In order to be scale I can only swing 13 inch props.... im thinking 3 blade but cant go any larger because of the clearance from nacelle to fuselage. this will be my first electric powered model and from all the good info I have been reading it realy is the future in scale. Thanks

[img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75349.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	884765  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
stoat

Default RE: KMP C47 electric conversion

Hi,
I have just finished doing an electric conversion to this plane. The figures didnt look so good after everything was installed and ground run so was feeling a bit pessamistic about flying it. However the final result was absolutely stunning! Massive power with HUGE duration. Heres what was used.

2 x Hyperion ZS4025-10 out runners
2 x Hyperion Atlas 120A esc
2 x Hyperion 5400mah 6 cell G3 lipo
2 x Master 13x8 3 blade propellors
AUW 24 lbs
Max ground current draw - 45 amps
8 minute filght (realsitc flying mostly on 1/2 throttle) 1800ma! per battery.

Flying performance was superb. Static thrust was enough for a short take off on grass with an easy 30 deg climb out.
Flaps are very effective with abot 8% down elevator mixed in. Model was very stable with CofG at 110mm from leading edge of the center section. There was no nose weight required as I cut a hatch on the under side of the nose and mounted the two main batteries under the cockpit floor about 100mm back from the nose. Rx packs, retract valve, air tanks an servo are above the wing on the provided plate.

Because of the long wire run between the ESC's and batterys I added capacitors to the wires to eliminate back EMF. There is probably a little voltage drop over ths length, but nothing to worry about.

Honestly, after what seemed a marginal setup, this has turned into one of the best electric scale models I have flown. Using the top end Hyperion gear has paid off with super reliable performance and great power. If you are thinking about doing any of the KMP/ESM twins as an electric I would recomend this setup.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
mnourse26

Default RE: KMP C47 electric conversion

hey guys thinking of getting a dc3 just wondering where you put the batteries for the electric conversion. any pics would be awsome thanks