Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Patriot XL Conversion

I am getting ready to build a GP Patriot XL (.60-.90 glow) and I am considering building it as an electric versus a glow. I am having trouble determining the proper size motor for it. I am trying to keep it in the limits with my current charging capabilities which caps out at a 6s pack. I have looked at the Rim Fire 50-50-500 and the Turnigy SK3 50-45-500 both which will handle a 6s pack and throw the right size prop. Once built the plane should come out to around 9 to 10 lbs depending on the equipment and landing gear setup. I want to make sure I get a motor that will give me good performance considering the type of plane the Patriot is. Any and all advice welcomed.
    Fun2Fly

The Need For Speed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Patriot XL Conversion

Here is .60 sized motor that runs well on 6s. Turning a 18X8 prop pulls 1200 watts and 188 ounces, 11 3/4 pounds of thrust.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-big...030-400kv.html

If you use different props you can get different prop speeds.

Running a 15X10 prop takes the prop speed up to 87 mph, 252 ounces, 15 pounds of thrust, but is 7 amps over the rating and it says the prop may stall, so at low speed the prop may not be as efficient as it could be.

Here is a free online calc program

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the calculator.. I have been running different setup through it.. Have used it to set up a plane? If so how accurate was it?
    Fun2Fly

The Need For Speed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I found it was about 10% or so. I used it to get the numbers for my 60 sized low wing trainer, 46 sized Giles 202, Ace Mach None, Formula 3D, and almost every other plane I have. I find I get about 2 to 3 times longer flights then they say. I find I have let the magic smoke out a lot less with the calc program then before I used it.

Buzz.