Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Patriot XL Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
fun2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot XL Conversion

I am getting ready to build a GP Patriot XL (.60-.90 glow) and I am considering building it as an electric versus a glow. I am having trouble determining the proper size motor for it. I am trying to keep it in the limits with my current charging capabilities which caps out at a 6s pack. I have looked at the Rim Fire 50-50-500 and the Turnigy SK3 50-45-500 both which will handle a 6s pack and throw the right size prop. Once built the plane should come out to around 9 to 10 lbs depending on the equipment and landing gear setup. I want to make sure I get a motor that will give me good performance considering the type of plane the Patriot is. Any and all advice welcomed.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Patriot XL Conversion

Here is .60 sized motor that runs well on 6s. Turning a 18X8 prop pulls 1200 watts and 188 ounces, 11 3/4 pounds of thrust.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-big...030-400kv.html

If you use different props you can get different prop speeds.

Running a 15X10 prop takes the prop speed up to 87 mph, 252 ounces, 15 pounds of thrust, but is 7 amps over the rating and it says the prop may stall, so at low speed the prop may not be as efficient as it could be.

Here is a free online calc program

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

Buzz.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
fun2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the calculator.. I have been running different setup through it.. Have used it to set up a plane? If so how accurate was it?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I found it was about 10% or so. I used it to get the numbers for my 60 sized low wing trainer, 46 sized Giles 202, Ace Mach None, Formula 3D, and almost every other plane I have. I find I get about 2 to 3 times longer flights then they say. I find I have let the magic smoke out a lot less with the calc program then before I used it.

Buzz.