Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 GP to EP

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 GP to EP

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 GP to EP

Hello everyone,

My first post here at this forum.

I am working on a project to scratch build a C.G. Ultimate 10-300 and convert it from GP to EP. I have built one of these already and put a Super Tigre G-90 two stroke on it, and it flew well.

This is also my first electric, so I am looking for suggestions on motor and ESC combinations.

Here are the specs off the box for this plane:

[TABLE="width: 90%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]Wingspan:[/TD]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]54"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]Wing Area:[/TD]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]980 Sq."[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]Length:[/TD]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]57½"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]Flying Weight:[/TD]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]7.5-8.5 Lbs.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]Power:[/TD]
[TD="class: PartNumber, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: right"]2-stroke .60-.90 cu in (9.8-14.7cc) or 4-stroke .90-1.20 (9.8-19.7cc)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I appreciate any help and feedback.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
rem0.061
My Feedback: (30)

No way! I'm doing one too. I plan on using NTM 4258 500kv with a 14x7 prop, 6s 5000mah lipo, and a HK 100A red brick esc. The motor has bad shaft flex with big props during stressful turns like 3D stuff causing some magnet rub, but the one on my ProX 260 hasn't worn the magnets yet, so it should do fine. I'm using 2 layers of 14" thick ply to attach it to the firewall, and custom made aluminum standoffs to space the motor. The hard part will be centering the motor just right to fit through the hole in the cowl without trimming the hole. I'm thinking of installing the cowl after putting the motor in mounted on one piece of ply while the second piece is on the firewall, then I'll position the motor through the exhaust hole in the cowl, and glue the pieces of ply together when it is positioned correctly. Then I'll go back and bolt it all together.

I think I'll take off the cowl and push the battery up through the hole I cut in the bottom where the tank went. And I'll mount the ESC on that big patch of wood in the front corner of that hole. I think a 14x7 is the best and biggest choice for sport flying, and a Turnigy wood 15x4.5sf or 15x6e wood should be the biggest used for more vertical power. The prop info given on hobbyking is almost always way too high for what the motors can handle. You don't want to load this motor with more than 50-55A on the ground, and no more than a 14"-15" light weight prop if you can help it to reduce the gyroscopic forces that flex the motor.

Last edited by rem0.061; 12-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
rem0.061
My Feedback: (30)

I forgot to mention, if you do use the NTM 4258, you should always take it apart and fill the gap between each magnet carefully with CA glue to keep them from coming loose in the first place.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 PM
abbott915

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to have to re-read it all a couple times to get it all understood.

My first thought on motor, esc, battery combo came up short, so I'm having to re-think it, and your info will come in super handy!

I'll get back to you when I get more time. I'm a bit backed up at work, and with the holidays, well, just not much time for my project.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
abbott915

I appreciate all the input, and after doing alot of research, talking to club members, looks like I'm going to go with the 75A Castle Ice Lite ESC and the E-flight power 60.

I'll run a 16x10 and a 6s lipo it looks like.

Any feedback, good or bad on the combo?

More to come on at the build thread. Currently not much to report other than I'm building the upper wing.