Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Leaving 1/2 A engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
rei750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaving 1/2 A engines

I have several 1/2 A planes I want to convert to electric power. I had some small NiMH battery planes with 400 speed motors but they seemed not the best quality. Can anyone suggest a radio system that would work with 1/2A size planes? I think LiPo is cool but am not sure what gear would work with 1 lb planes.

Thanks Don
Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need different radio gear for electric. You do need a new power system: prop, prop adapter, motor, Electronic Speed Controller, battery pack. And then charger and charger leads.A charger that works from mains power is nice for home use - but you'll want one that uses 12V DC, if you want to charge at the field.

What kind of models are you thinking of converting?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 PM
rei750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gear is pretty cheap stuff from RTF Exceed rc planes and after lots of use pretty broken up now. The planes I'd like to convert are a Carl Goldberg Schoolmaster, Marks Models Bushwacker already built to 1/2a size and a Rally-XP Breezy Day Park Flier. I just don't know enough about today's rc gear to know which size motor, speed controller, battery pack, RX and TX. I wish there was a "combo system" already available reasonably.