Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
GlobeWideWeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric conversion

hello everybody. the nearest flying field in our area accepts only electric flying, is there anyway CESSNA 182 gas powered be converted to electric? there is model from hanger 9, greatairplane, topflite and kyosho which are all powered by .40 gas engine. for me this physical size is still bigger, any smaller size is good one too. hope somebody will help me. thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:18 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: electric conversion

I'll start by saying that I have not flown a 182 model glow nor electric. But if you want to start thinking about it just follow some simple steps.

1. Lets look at the Hangar 9 182 (40 sized) The specs are: wingspan 66", area 579 sq. in, and the listed weight 6.6 lbs. Subtracting the expected weight of the engine, fuel tank, throttle servo, lighter servos (note I didn't say weaker) I'd guess that the "empty weight" or the weight before we put in the motor package would be 5.0 lbs.

2. Lets go to Motorcalc and play with some power systems. It can get tough picking through the many choices so lets "fix" some of the varibles so lets look at the AXI series of motors and GP3300 cells.

3.I look for setups that give me at least 70 watts/lbs. I see that 14 to 16 cells with a 11-7 to 11-8 prop will do nicely. The wing loading is high at 30 oz/sq in but I coulf fix that at a price by going li poly.

4. Using an AXI 2820/10, a 4s4p TP Lipoly battery and a 11-9 prop we could get 85 watts per lb and a wing loading of 27 oz/sq in.

In a nut shell, it would be very doable project.

John
Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 PM
GlobeWideWeb

thanks johnny for your reply. right now this gives me more courage for further (surf the net) research of various set ups and/or options. can u share where can i find websites on how you calculate and choose motor, propeller, batteries and other hardwares. it will give me a first big step but with enthusiasm to have a close to scale electric plane? hope all of you experienced and expert in building, designing and have long flying experience will help me. im still expecting your follow-ups. thanks again.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Mike Parsons

Here is some eye candy for you. It is the Hanger 9 182 electrified with a Hacker C50 XL 10S4P Thunder Power lithium. This ought to keep you going. 15 lbs, 96" WS.
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezonemag/2003/sep/neat/cessna.wmv]Cessna flown at NEAT 2003[/link]
Old 12-07-2003, 02:31 AM
GlobeWideWeb

thank you too Atlantaeflyer. before i dont believe such big and heavy hanger 9 model can uplift by electric power alone. thats amazing. so far im gathering different manufacturers of cessna 182 and make initial basic kit comparison. i know i have lots of questions once im in there already. again thanks. if you have other things to share are always welcome.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:09 AM
waldopepper2

Please observe the power range of the AXI´s. With 2820/10 you get only 300W and can definitly not move a 15lbs cessna. But there are AXI´s like the 4130 which can give you up to 1KW for just 170 €. See http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...id_odkazy=m_ac. They don´t need gearboxes and therefore avoid the according power loss. Currently I´m using this 4130/20 with 24 x GP3300 for a CNC-cut-kit Stampe SV-4B from www.hobby-land.de with a span of 2,1m and 6kg. Originally intended for 15 ccm gas.
BR Walter
Old 12-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: GlobeWideWeb

thank you too Atlantaeflyer. before i dont believe such big and heavy hanger 9 model can uplift by electric power alone. thats amazing. so far im gathering different manufacturers of cessna 182 and make initial basic kit comparison. i know i have lots of questions once im in there already. again thanks. if you have other things to share are always welcome.
Any plane can be converted. It just boils down to a matter of $. When you decide which one, just post back here and one of us can work out a power system for you. Just take that info and price it out. If it turns out to be more than you want to spend, then it is easy to move down from there. I am working on a Kyosho Sukhoi now for conversion. I found the plane that I wanted, bought it and now just have to figure out how I want to power it. I could go with a higher priced Hacker or with my prefered Mega that I use in two of my other conversions. Either way I make sure I have a minimum of 1.5:1 thrust to weight ratio.

-Mike
Old 12-07-2003, 11:02 AM
GlobeWideWeb

thank you Waldopepper and Atlantaeflyer. my first step is to post kit comparison without the power system. this will include the how close to scale different manufacturers did with their price of course. considering the dead weight and others. thank you to all for ur support. keep on looking at my queries.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

waldopepper2,

Please note that we're not talking about 15lb planes here. For the most part, these are 6-7lb .40-size ARFs.

johnnyjetprop,

The AXi 2820/10 is rated for up to 10 NiCd or NiMH cells, or 3S LiPoly. 4S LiPoly and an 11x9 prop would be overloading the motor severely, unless you know something about their ability. Remember, Motocalc does not handle outrunner motors very well. The numbers may look okay, but with Motocalc, once a certain threshold is reached on an outrunner, the current drawn stops increasing, the motor gets very hot, and the efficiency goes way down.

An AXi 2820/12 would be appropriate for a 4S LiPoly pack.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

johnnyjetprop,

The AXi 2820/10 is rated for up to 10 NiCd or NiMH cells, or 3S LiPoly. 4S LiPoly and an 11x9 prop would be overloading the motor severely, unless you know something about their ability. Remember, Motocalc does not handle outrunner motors very well. The numbers may look okay, but with Motocalc, once a certain threshold is reached on an outrunner, the current drawn stops increasing, the motor gets very hot, and the efficiency goes way down.

An AXi 2820/12 would be appropriate for a 4S LiPoly pack.
You are correct Matt. The 2820 is 10-14 cells and 35a max. I have seen them handle 40a for 15 sec burst, but I have also seen them demag at 45a.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Glitch

G'Day Matt,
Excuse my complete lack of knowledge re electric flight.
I'm OK with glo models, currently flying a Corsair with Saito 170R3 and Katana, GB-Y etc etc.
Our club field in Brisbane, Australia, is not quite big enough to fly turbine models (although some guys do occasionally) and we are in fairly close proximity to busy roads etc.

The only electric models I've seen are of foam or tissue covered light-weight construction.
I understand powerful brushless motors and hi-tech batteries are now available.
Would you please advise if it would be feasable to build a 'near scale' F-86 or DH Vampire around 60" span with electric ducted fan power capable of flying off closely cut grass with retracts ?

Thank you for your advice.
Bill
Old 12-09-2003, 01:53 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Bill, how deep are your pockets (granted, it will still be cheaper than turbines).

eg, follow this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=176025
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Anything's feasible these days with electrics, as long as your pockets are deep enough. LiPolys and brushless motors have given electric flight the power, weight, and duration necessary to go toe-to-toe with glow.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:09 PM
j.thomas

Too: GlobeWideWeb.... Contact MaxCim this guy will have something for your problem.
Jim
Old 12-14-2003, 01:23 AM
GlobeWideWeb

thanks jim for your reply. really im new here. where can i find Maxcim. is there any website?
Old 12-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Glitch

www.maxcim.com
Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

A thousand pardons for my suggestion of using a AXI 2820. After checking with a club member about his motor in a E3D, I found out that it was the 41 series AXI motor that he was using. I hope that I did not misled anyone.

John Pursell
Old 12-14-2003, 10:07 AM
GlobeWideWeb

thanks glitch.