Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Herr Piper Cherokee GLO TO ELECTRIC

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Herr Piper Cherokee GLO TO ELECTRIC

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 03:26 PM
rings
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Piper Cherokee GLO TO ELECTRIC

I am new to electrics and RC in general. I have built a foam ARF. Hobby-Lobby's Pilatus Turbo Porter. I am to the point where crashes are becoming further apart. I am on a 3 flight day crashless streak! (I probably just jinxed myself ) Anyway, my plans are to build a Piper Cherokee 1/2A and converting to electric. The kit is made by Herr Engineering. I really like this plane as it was one of the aircraft that I learned to fly full scale in. Some of the dimensions are as follows: Wingspan = 42 “ Area = 293.2 Sq."
Weight = 19 oz. Wing Load = 9.3 oz / Sq.’ Engine = .049 to .061.

http://www.leisuretimehobbies.net/Planes/hrrk504.htm

Any ideas on the motor, gearing, prop, and batt that may be required to get this off the ground would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any input.

P.S. Has anyone seen a Piper PA-12 kit in their travels? I would love to build one. (Very first plane that I ever flew!)
Old 01-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: .049 - .61 GLO TO ELECTRIC

Hi

Welcome to Electric RC universe!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cox_...1265271/tm.htm here are some info!

you can go with a $50setup, for ex speed 400 3:1 12" prop or you can/should look at some of the brushledd motors!

for examle a Mega 16/15/4 swinging a 7" prop or so on 8cells (I run a /3 with 7" prop so no heat problem there) it should pull well like a .1-.15

I would also suggest li-po battery, for ex 2s2p thunderpower
Old 01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
rings

Thank you for the great information. I will look throught the link that suggested.

Thanks Again!

Jeremy
Old 01-19-2004, 10:51 AM
rings

The Herr Engineering kit has arrived. I am just gathering a few more building supplies and I will be ready to start construction. I will post my progress. As this is my first kit, I should be able to provide some comic relief for the experienced builders! Stay tuned for my trials and tribulations.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:31 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

rings these kits are vry nice to build.You shouldn't have a problem unless you can't read.Good luck,stefanP
Old 01-24-2004, 05:23 PM
GeraldO

I built one of these a few years ago as an electric. I went with the low-cost speed 400 can motor option. I still have this plane and it flys nicely.
See my web page for some details on my conversion: http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geraldod/cherokee.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69753.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	93805  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 AM
rings

Great looking Cherokee! Thanks for the site and info. I just finished the stringer on the aft section of the fuse. I will post some pictures soon. What is the flight time that you get with your motor setup?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:10 PM
GeraldO

I can get about 8-10 minutes using a 10 cell pack of KAN 950mAH NiMH cells.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM
enrique1123

Default RE: Herr Piper Cherokee GLO TO ELECTRIC

I've built the Cherokee as well as their Cessna 180 and I used a 400 geared with 8 cell 1100 mah battery, the cherokee is awesome. You can use the 400 and it's more than enough power but if you want a screamer for the Cherokee use the Mega brushless 16/15/6 with LiPo cells. I like balsa planes way better than foam and will usually build scale birds, there is a lot of kits out there that are just calling to be built. Now If I could just get a nice set of retracts for my HOB P51 .20 size that will be finished in about 2 weeks I would be really happy.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:55 AM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

I also have both the Cherokee and Cessna 180 that I converted to electric. Right now they are both built and covered but not assembled. I also built the Herr floats for the 180 and will be glassing them shortly. The Cherokee is getting a Model Motors Mini Ac 2015/16 and 3.64 to 1 inline planetary gearbox on 8 Hecells should fly great and be real light I am looking forward to flying it. The 180 is getting a Mega 16/15/5 direct with 10 Hecells or a 3S TP2100 Lipo pack I may try the 3S in the Cherokee since I have two of them. I will post pictures when the planes are assembled and on their wheels and floats they where great building planes.
Viper
Old 02-26-2004, 11:00 AM
enrique1123

Try this one for fun, I saw it on Airplane news a while ago, I think it would make a great sport plane. it's from Neofun/ Sig.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	105187  
Old 03-08-2004, 12:34 PM
rings

I still need to get some pictures out here. I am currently in the middle of modifying the fire wall for the motor mount. I am using a glass filled motor mount that is attached to the firewall. The built up square pieces of light ply was not wide enough to accommodate the motor mount so I added additional strips of light ply on each side of the original block to give a wider area for the mount. Tonight I plan on cutting a 1 1/8!QUOT! hole in the fire wall to allow the motor set back in a bit and for the motor wires. As I said earlier, this my first wood plane and my first e-conversion. It is fun and anxiety all rolled up into one. I make modifications where needed and then wonder if it will work or have I just blown x amount of dollars. Sorry for the rambling. So far so good.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:28 PM
viper21

Rings, I have my Cherokee completely built and covered so my next step is too build the motor mount for my brushless Model Motors 2015/16 with an inline 3.64 planetary gearbox. I will most likely take some birch hardwood 1/4x1/8 stock or so and will epoxy it to the firewall. Then use some type of aluminum clamp mount or even two plastic zip ties to hold the motor in place. If your using a regular speed 400 I think that you should order a set of these http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/131346.asp
You can probably use the kits motor mount and the screw these clam shell mounts to it with the motor inbetween its how I would do it. Another idea is to use two sticks as the clam shell bearers as I wrote above. You can also check out these mounts here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motormt.htm
Take a look at the Aeronaut motor mounts down the page to fit on the firewall of the airplane. I am using a brushless speed 300 size motor and will be using an 8x6 APC E prop or a Cam 8X6 or 9X6 props with my motor using either 8 or 10 Hecells and a Thunder Power 3S TP2100 Lipo as I have all three and am going to use a CC Phoenix 25 ESC's I will get some pictures of my plane posted, right now its completely covered but the tail is not epoxied on which I will do this week hopefully. And I need to install the servos. I installed ailerons on my Cherokee along with a rudder so its a four channel plane and should be a blast to fly I should get 8-15 minute flights depending on which pack I use. If you have any questions just PM or Email me Ring.
Viper

PS: I also have the Herr 180 that I will post its also all done and ready for installation of the radio and motor. I built a set of Herr floats for the 180 and will glass and paint them soon and mount them.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Bill G

Great Info! This will certainly help with my electric Cherokee build. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:50 PM
viper21

ORIGINAL: FockeWulf190

Great Info! This will certainly help with my electric Cherokee build. Thanks!

FW, I am glad the information will help. You posted at a good time I am going to assemble both of my Herr Planes this week. I havent been able to build due to health problems but I am having my bench and shop rebuilt so I need to finish them or I will have to put them in the garage someplace, Their all covered and ready for radio and motor install and epoxy in the stabs and hinge them and their ready to fly I have the motors and battery systems for each plane. I will shoot some picture for you FW so that you can see how the planes are set up. I am sure both will be real nice flying planes
Joe
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 PM
crashmaster5000
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all,
I just thought I would let you know, I recently finished my cherokee, and it flies great, a little slow turning without ailerons but a nice floater, I used a speed 400 cobalt, 3 cell 1250mah lipo, a 6/3.5 prop gives it almost unlimited verticle, although a little too much battery heat with extended full throttle. I changed batteries from an 8c to a 15c and that improved but still a little hot. All in all I would say it's a very good combo, if I did it over again, I would go with a brushless and put ailerons on the wing, just to make it respond better, another idea is ailerons and elevator only, rudder doesn't really do much good.
Keep 'em buzzin!!!