Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

4* 40 conversion to electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

4* 40 conversion to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:13 PM
wormburner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4* 40 conversion to electric?

I've got a Sig 4* 40 that is about 80% framed up and waiting to be completed. I've been toying with the idea of converting it to electric. I have scanned the forums but didn't find much about this particular idea.

I've got a couple questions; I know there are formulas as to weight to power ratios and such but I'm just looking for some basic stuff.

Generally speaking, what sized motor would be required for general sport flying/basic aerobatics. I fly gliders mostly and am about to try my hand at a GP Slinger so I am no hot rodder, by any stretch of the imagination.

How about the battery? Duration is a little more important at this point but I would like it to have a little stank, if you know what I mean.

I know weight is very important and this is where the real issues lie. At the time I started construction this was the fourth airplane I had constructed so I hadn't figured out how to "build light". That, and I was going to strap an O.S. Max .46 on it.

Now, this is just a thought at this time. I may just keep it as a gasser if it would be too much trouble to go electric, but they are pretty messy!

Any thoughts?

[]
Old 01-24-2004, 03:17 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4* 40 conversion to electric?

Hi,

The 4* 40 has been converted to electric power many times and it flies great!

Dereck Woodward has done this and Jack Sowle converted his SIG 4Star40 way back at the 1997 KRC (now known as the NEAT Fair). He powers it with a Max15-13Y geared with 18 cells into a Maxµ35-21 Digital Speed Controller.

You can see a picture of it [link=http://www.maxcim.com/customers/index2.html]here[/link].

Give Tom Cimato from [link=http://www.maxcim.com/index.html]MaxCim Motors[/link] a call at 716-662-5651 for a plug-n-play power system and a guaranteed successful conversion.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 AM
gyronuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4* 40 conversion to electric?

Hi,
As Greg says there are numerous articles on line about the 4*40 electric conversion. Mine has an AXI ( model motors) 2820/12 and a Castle Craetions Pheonix 45 controller which runs direct on an 11 x 7 prop and 14 x 2400 cells and weighs 5 lb 5 oz ready to fly. That equates to about 85 Watts / Lb. The performance is very much like a normal aerobatic 40/ 45 size glow performance. Flies for about 8 mins being a hooligan, I am most impressed. Cost of Motor and speedcontroller in the UK about £120 ( about $160 ). Definately go for an electric version they are wonderful. Bill