Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

TF Cessna 182

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:00 PM
CF-FZG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Cessna 182

I'm building a TF Cessna182, (81" ws), and I'm considering building it as an E-Conversion.

My main questions concern what motor, ESC and power source would work with this model, and what mods would need to be done to the airframe to house it all.

Please note that although I know the difference between brushed, (dc), and brushless, (3ph), my experience with electric power is confined to a powered glider with a speed 400 on 7 cells, and that's about my practical knowledge
Old 02-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF Cessna 182

Check out Greg Covey's conversion of the Hangar 9 AT-6 Texan ARF, or his conversion of the Hangar 9 F4U Corsair ARF. Both are large heavy .60-.90 size glow planes, similar in wing loading and power requirements to the TF Cessna.

Myself, I'd start out with 24 NiCds or a 7S LiPoly pack. Probably stick an AXi 4130/16 and 14x8 prop on it.

The important thing is to build light. This is a tough proposition for a Top Flite Gold Edition kit, but it's possible. You can replace most of the aircraft ply parts with lite ply, and sometimes even balsa. Replace solid blocks with sheeting over framework, or at least hollow out the block from the rear.