Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Convert GP 40 Size Mustang to Electric?

Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
micky_ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Convert GP 40 Size Mustang to Electric?

Hi All,

I am currently building the GP P-51 .40 size kit, and am considering building it as an electric. This is a sport scale P-51, and should have a final weight of about 5.5 lbs.

I have two questions for this group:

Has anyone done this that can offer any advice, either with this plane or a similar one, on construction changes to enable electric power?

What would you recommend that would give approximately the same power output as a OS 46FX? Please give details as to the exact type of motor, prop, ESC, battery, and charger (and anything else I would need). I am trying to make an informed decision about whether this is worth my while (cost wise) at this time.

Thanks,
Micky
Old 03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Convert GP 40 Size Mustang to Electric?

Is $500 too much to spend on powering this plane? If it is stick with IC. I Build and fly electric .40- .60 sized warplanes. I use Maxcim motors. They cost over $300 with a gearbox. Chargers are $130+. Even nicads (the cheapest battery) will cost $150+ for two packs. I have a $150 deep cycle battery to run the charger with at the field because charging this size battery packs would kill a car battery if you want to use it to charge your packs a few times. I have a $75 charger to charge it with at home too. ......Would you like a prop and prop adapter with that? .......................................... I love electric power but in this size and power requirement it is not cheap! Yes, electrics can keep up with .40-.60 Glo engines but cost a ton more. ......................... This is the cost for your first electric. The second third and fourth ones are cheaper than glo when you consider fuel costs.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Convert GP 40 Size Mustang to Electric?

Check out my thread on the Global F4U Corsair conversion I did in "Glow to Electric Conversions." Motor and ESC cost slightly more than a quality .91 4-stroke. A pack of batteries cost about as much as a 4-gallon case of fuel.

That said, moving this to Glow to Electric...