Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

40 sized electric conversion (sig SE size)

Old 03-06-2004, 06:56 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 40 sized electric conversion (sig SE size)

I have an extreme stick 40 that I plan on building electric. I originally planned to put my OS 50 on it but a resent job change will allow me to pump a lot more money into it than I originally planned. If you aren't familiar with the extreme stick it's about the same size and weight as a Sig Somthin' extra so whatever will fly the SE should fly the ES40.

I would like a motor/gear box/prop that will let me pull out of a hover with some authority through most of the flight time. I would like to 3D this airplane but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to do so. I was recommended the Hacker B50 13S+6.71 with lipo packs but $600 is more than I want to spend. A preferable price range right now is $300 or less, but I can go up if I have to. A 15 minute flight time would be great but 10 minutes is what I'm looking for. I would like to start out with NiMH packs and move on to Lipos later... Is that feasible?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 40 sized electric conversion (sig SE size)

May I ask this question first? Have you any electric powered planes now? If no then a budget of $300.00 will not work.Why? Lets look,You need at least 1) good battery charger 2) astroflight watt meter 3)multipul battery packs, unless you plan on bringing a glow plane to fly while your ONE battery pack charges.Anyhow back to the subject at hand.I'd look at www.maxcim.com Tom Cimato knows his motors and these are real nice.What you want is a system that will give you 100watts per lb. I fly a sig se extra with a AF Geard40 on 16x3000 Nimh cells.Swing a 15x8 apc-e prop.Used motor[X(] cells are3yrs old but I still get 8min flights.Put a 16x10 and I can go 20'out and straight up.But that really strains the batteries and motor.(I bring 3 packs to the feild when I fly) Plus lipo batteries need to be monitoredduring chargeing sessions.Thes are my comments .stefanP
Old 03-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the plane is a kit, extreme weight-saving measures when building will reduce the power requirements for extreme aerobatics. Throw away all the aircraft ply and replace with balsa. The firewall still needs to be ply, but it doesn't need to be as thick. A stick-built structure, or lots of carefully-planned lightening holes will go a long way as well. You don't need heavy Monokote; Econokote, Towerkote, Solarfilm, or even Doculam will be adequate.

That said, if you've only got $300, you better just stick a glow engine on it An electric power system that will give you anything but disappointing performance will be significantly more than that... UNLESS you can get the airframe down to about 1 pound. Then we can talk E3D. 10 cell systems, even brushless, are far less expensive than the 16-cell system you'd need for a typical 40-size.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt has it right!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I think I'll try out a foamy plane first. I'll just put a glow on the stick,