Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hanger 9 T-34 electric conversion

Old 03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
topher39
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hanger 9 T-34 electric conversion

Hello All, I am new to this !QUOT!Universe!QUOT! and have been excited at the posts I have read already. I am venturing into electric RC and have a little knowledge but I am a newbie for the most part. I have an electric glider of my own design and have had a blast with the conversion from glow to electric. I have toyed with a small brushless Nippy on a Sig rascal and I am wanting to start flying some .40 aircraft with some performance. I like scale and I like to be a bit unique.
I would like to know if anyone has had experience with, or thought about electrifying a Hanger 9 T-34 Mentor. I am looking into a Jeti Phasor 45 to start with - what is your thoughts? Would the phasor 45 do the trick without a gear drive - I am looking for scale speeds and good torque - I don't need a speed demon. The Hanger 9 seems like it might do the trick as it comes in at 5.5 -6 lbs and has some room to play. I am experienced with building and modifying - just don't have the time or energy to build from scratch at the moment.
Any thoughts on the T-34 and/or the Jeti Phasor as a power choice. I don't have $ to burn and the phasor is about what I would like to spend. My goal is to have a motor setup that I can swap in and out of a variety of .40-.46 size aircraft.

Thanks your your input, I look forward to hearing from you all. [:-][img][/img]
Old 03-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hanger 9 T-34 electric conversion

For all intents and purposes, the Jeti Phasor 45/3 is as close to a direct drop-in replacement for a .45 glow as you can get. You're talking about a 10x6 or 10x7 prop on 16 cells. Not a bad choice at all, but you'll definitely want to go with a 16-cell setup to get the power without drawing too many Amps.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:13 AM
topher39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Matt, I was hoping that would be the case - Is my understanding correct that the smaller prop with more cells to get the RPMs up is the best way to go for this type of airplane over a larger prop? What kind of Amps would I draw with this combo? Run time with a 3000mah cells?

I'm impressed, the 45/3 phasor really puts out as much as the average .45? - that opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Do you run one of these motors yourself?

Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More cells and a smaller prop is how you get more power out of a motor. You add the cells to get the RPM up, then reduce the size of the prop to keep the Amps from going too high. Just be careful that you don't exceed the maximum RPM of the motor with too many cells.

Hobby Lobby says the Jeti will turn a 10.5x7 on 16 cells at 38 Amps or so. Actual performance will be closer to a bushing .45 than a ball-bearing .45. I would expect run times with throttle management to be around 10 minutes. That's cruising, aerobatics will reduce flight times.

I personally don't have a Jeti 45/3, but I did spend considerable time and energy running the numbers on one for a .40-size Corsair conversion I did last summer. In the end, I chose the AXI 4120/14 instead. Both motors had similar performance numbers, and someone was flying the Jeti 45/3 in the exact same Corsair at the NEAT Fair last year.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
topher39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That answers my question, I am really excited now. I appreciate your time and help with this. I think I can really turn some heads at the field with this setup. I fly with mostly glow guys and most don't have a clue what you can do with electric these days - should be fun!

I sold off a few small glow engines sitting in a drawer to go for the brushless motor and start experimenting - I am glad I started the conversion process. Now I just have to decide what airplane to go with.

Thanks again,
Christopher
Old 03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is from LA Johnston, Hobby Lobbys head tech:
GREGORY.

I READ THE POST ON RCUNIVERSE, AND I AGREE WITH "ALMOST" EVERYTING THAT WAS SAID. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD THROW MY TWO CENTS IN FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

MY PERSONAL FEELINGS ARE THAT THE PHASOR 453 MOTOR WOULD BE A LITTLE BETTER FOR T-34 APPLICATION THAN THE AXI41 SERIES MOTOR.

THE PHASOR IS A SLIGHTLY HIGHER RPM MOTOR THAN THE 4120 MOTOR, SO IT CAN SWING A SLIGHTLY SMALLER PROP AND GET AWAY WITH IT. "BUT" IT IS HAPPIER WITH A LARGER PROP THAN THE SUGGESTED 10 INCH PROP. AS YOU KNOW THESE PHASOR ELECTRIC MOTORS ARE "TORQUE" PRODUCERS, SO, LOAD THE MOTOR DOWN WITH A BIG PROP AND USE THE TORQUE IT HAS AVAILABLE. BESIDES, BIG PROPS ARE MORE EFFECIENT !!! THRUST AS YOU KNOW IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE "VOLUME" OF AIR MOVED, SO IF YOU MOVE A LARGE VOLUME OR AIR AT A MODERATE VELOCITY,YOU CAN PRODUCE MORE THRUST THAN IF YOU MOVE A SMALL VOLUME OF AIR AT A HIGH VELOCITY.

MY EXPERIANCE WITH THE PHASOR 453 HAS SHOWN THAT IT IS HAPPIEST WHEN RUNNING WITH AT LEAST A 11, OR 12 INCH DIA PROP. THE QUOTED AMP DRAW IS HIGHER THAN IT ACTUAL AMP DRAW OF THE MOTOR WILL BE, SO DONT WORRY ABOUT OVER AMPING THE MOTOR WITH THE BIGGER PROP. IF YOU RUN THE ECALC, OR MOTOR CALC PROGRAMS MULTIPLY THE CALCULATED AMP DRAW BY .75 AND YOU WILL BE MUCH CLOSER TO THE ACTUAL AMP DRAW OF THE MOTOR. EVEN IF YOU LOAD THE MOTOR TO WHERE IT ACTUALLY PULLING 40 AMPS "STATIC" IT WILL UNLOAD IN THE AIR.

ANY WAY TO CUT THIS SHORT, I WOULD RECOMMEND THE 453 ON ABOUT 14 CELLS WITH AN 11X8, OR A 12X8 PROP.

L.A. JOHNSTON