Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Cox PT-19 R/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM
ELGEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox PT-19 R/C

Ok- I'm pretty new to this ,but I just got an old (new in box) Cox Pt-19 R/C with a .049-- What is a good starting place for electric engine size ? 40" wing span,fairly dense foam, weighs about 11 oz without radio/motor-I have pico size radio stuff and lipo power--
I'd like it to fly fairly slow i.e. scale--Thanks,Larry
Old 04-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Default RE: Cox PT-19 R/C

I have an old COX Cessna 182 Skylane that I've been wanting to convert for a long time... and while I haven't yet, the experience I've had with other GWS-sized electrics would lead me to tell you to get a GWS 300 or 350 maybe in the middle of the gearing range for reasonable speed and thrust.

While you'll probably read that a speed400 is equivalent to an 049 glo, gearboxes make the electric much more flexible. Since you're gearing down for less rpms you wont go as fast, you trade that for larger props and more thrust.

Only thing is it'll probably look a little funny with a 10 or 11 inch (orange) prop on it rather than the 6x3 on the 049!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
ELGEE

Thanks Burninator-
Same thing-I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but it took forever to find the plane on E-bay. I have the next to the smallest
Nippy--Think it will work ? You are definitely right about the big orange prop-I'll try a master Airscrew--at least they look right.
Thanks,Larry G.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You can paint GWS props with Sharpie permanent markers. Putting a Master Paintstick prop on the front of that plane instantly imposes a 2 ounce penalty at that size.

One thing you need to get out of your head is the idea of "equivalency." No such thing. While a Speed 400 might spin the same prop at the same speed as an .049, it's not necessarily the right motor for the job. You can usually spin a larger prop at a lower speed with a smaller geared motor and battery, while saving a significant amount of weight. You'll be much happier with the way the plane flies.

An EPS350C, C gearing, 10x8 GWS prop, and a 7-cell 650mAh NiMH is a typical power system on GWS foamies, which are roughly the same size and weight.