Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

C160 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:37 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C160 conversion

Hello All,
I am a newbie to electric flight, but am intrigued by it. I bought a damaged C 160 off of a gentleman that crashed it. I am going to rebuild it. It is made of very lightweight FG and will require some reinforcements. The booklet calls for up to 2 .25 size engines on it. What is a comparable electric equivalent to this and what would it cost? Can I get 4 bladed props for electrics? How do flight characteristics compare to glow fuel flight? I would like to use LiPo's for power. I appreciate any and all help given.

Thank you guys!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C160 conversion

This is the GiantScalePlanes.com C160, right? A club member brought one for show-n-yell a couple of meetings ago. I was impressed with how light it was and I believe it would make an ideal electric conversion.

First thing is, you need to stop thinking in terms of equivalency. Instead, ask the question, "What electric power system will make the PLANE fly the way I want it to fly?" There really is no such thing as an equivalent electric power system.

Second, the flying qualities of an electric are what you want them to be. Electrics are not automatically lethargic and underpowered. With careful planning, you can get better-than-glow performance from half the horsepower.

Now, to power an electric plane, you really need to start with the battery. It's the only constant in the plane; power requirements, and hence the battery, will remain the same no matter which motor setup you use. Most importantly, the battery, not the motor, is where the power comes from.

How much would you expect this plane to weigh with glow engines? What kind of performance and duration would you expect? This is important in determining how much power is necessary, and in turn what battery you need. From there we can look at motors.