Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Guillow's Stearman to electric?

Old 04-02-2004, 03:46 PM
echolmberg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Guillow's Stearman to electric?

Hi gang! My wonderful perfect wife bought me the great looking Guillow's Stearman kit. I thought it would be cool to get this rigged up for electric flight. Has anyone in the forum ever done this before? What type of motor would you recommend?

Perhaps on a broader scale, do you guys think this would make a good park flyer?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Eric
Old 04-04-2004, 03:53 PM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Guillow's Stearman to electric?

Eric, I converted one of these several years ago. It was one of my first electric conversions so I had to revise the setup several times till I got it flying ok. See my web page for some details: http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geraldod/stearman.html
Old 04-27-2004, 03:03 PM
E-Challenged

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Guillow's Stearman to electric?

Gerald and Benston helped me get mine flying. My own recommendations are to keep it light as possible with enough power to fly well, use at least a GWS EPSS300C A ratio gear drive and 8 Nimh 600-720 mah cells. Motors and cells get hot and don't last long, replacement motors are $12 from Aeromicro. Use Sanyo cells. Two 1200 mah Lipolies might be better to reduce weight. my model was pre-Lipoly era. Use small rudder throws and built dihedral into top wing if not using ailerons. Top wing incidence should be around zero ( to control zooming) and use down and right thrust. I used Coverlite/Lightspan for wings and silkspan and dope for fuselage( easier). I built a wing saddle for top wing. This adds weight but rubber band wing mounting may save structure in prangs. I installed hooks made from pins next to N strut slots, use rubber bands between wings to hold N struts into slots. I used Dave Brown scale foam wheels and glued on the kit hub caps. The fake engine didn't last long, I added a plywood ring to firewall and force fitted an ABS ring cowl made from a Costco food supplement bottle. This is a challenging project project requiring a lot of head scratching and planning ahead. If you are inexperienced with small scale model rubber kit conversions read the many threads on E-Zone and learn from other's experiences.