Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

WM .26 Cub Conversion - Am I on track?

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

WM .26 Cub Conversion - Am I on track?

Old 04-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM .26 Cub Conversion - Am I on track?

Hello,
I'm in the process of my first glow-electric conversion, and am seeking opinions/advice. For starts, it has a 51" span, 419" wing area and a target weight of 64 oz. Am using 3 HT HS-81 servo's. As for receiver, I don't seem to find much information regarding them. Does this mean 'any' receiver would work? Would a HT Dual Conversion FeatherWeight handle it? A couple of posts mentioned 'standard receiver', but what is 'standard'?

I'm planning on using an AIX2814/12 motor w/ Jeti 30 amp controller driving a 10x6 prop. So far so good? Also experiencing a bit of confusion over BEC. Any reason why I would need a controller with one for this conversion?

As for the motor, and lack of experience with them, should I expect to perform additional work on it? i.e. have to solder on connectors, filters or such?

I've not nailed down the batteries yet, as have seen various types of 'guidelines' but all seem to have differing end solutions. If anyone has an opinion as to what might be the best fit, you have my attention. Unfortunately I can't afford ElectriCalc or MotorCalc right now, so am trying to piece this together from various formula's and opinions I found on this and other sites. So.. any and all advice/suggestions/idea's are certainly welcome! Thanks!

Hal Marshall
Old 04-05-2004, 05:27 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: WM .26 Cub Conversion - Am I on track?

Hal,

In reverse order, some answers:

Motorcalc is free for 30 days, try it, you'll like it

You may have to do some soldering between the motor and the controller, it may have conectors installed. But I know that you will have to add the conectors for the battery.

BEC or Battery Elimator Circut lets you tap some of the batteries energy to run the onboard radio gear. This saves the weight of a receiver pack. Light is good. Without getting too deep, your application would call for using an ESC with BEC.

As for the receiver. There are two basic types. Single conversion, micro receivers like the Hitec Feather and the GWS units give limited range in exchange for a smaller package. Mini and regular receivers are full range. IMHO, use a mini receiver like the Hitec 555 if you can. You should have pleanty of room.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 04-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Radical Departure

Thanks John, Just what I needed to know, much appreciated!
HM
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hal,

Your AXI 2814/12 motor will probably work ok in your 51" Cub. If not, you can always add a few cells or jump to the next size 2820/12 motor.

With your 10x6 prop, you can use 8-10 cells. A lighter cell like the Sanyo 4/5FAUP, 1950mAh, NiMH at [link=http://www.flydma.com/batteries/batteries.asp?path1=batteries]Diversity Model Aircraft[/link] has worked well for me on these size airplanes. This will save almost 6oz over a full sub-C cell like the CP2400 or GP3300.

The Jeti JES 30-3P controller will provide a BEC up to 10 cells for your receiver and servos. This eliminates another 4oz by not needing your Rx. battery pack. It also offers the convenience of not have to re-charge multiple batteries.

Now we are up to a 10oz drop in weight which is over 1/2 pound!

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Radical Departure

Thanks Greg!
I'll go ahead and start with the 2814/12 and see where that goes. I'm not looking for a speed demon or aerobatics right now as much as having a successful conversion first, and a slow flyer second. The battery info. was exactly what I needed to know, and you answered my question about the controller before I asked it!

Am going to get those things ordered today, hoping to have it in the air soon. I'll upload couple pics when its complete. Thanks again!
HM
Old 04-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Billy Haynes

I had one of these. All I can say is keep it light! I had the .26 & the .46, the bigger Cub was by far the better of the two(IMO). My little one was just too heavy. I used HS81's for controll, Supreme rx, geared Magnetic Mayham motor & 10c & 12c 1250's. The 10cell was lighter than the 12, but not much, but alot less power. The small one just seemed to fly too fast for my Cubby taste, (like I said I built it heavy= high wingloading). Just keep it as light as you can to keep the wingloading down & you should be fine. Best of luck & let us know how it goes. Billy