Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Nexstar

Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 PM
adhsooner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nexstar

I want to buy a Nexstar from Hobbico. I would like to convert to electric. This is a pretty large plane and it may not be possible. Here are the specs.

wingspan: 68.75 in
Wing area: 722 sq in.
weight: 6.5 lbs
wing loading:21 oz./sq.in
engine: .46 2 cycle

any advive would be appreciated!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nexstar

You'll be much better off starting out with a bare ARF trainer, both financially, and structurally. It's much easier to modify a clean slate than a completely assembled airplane. Grab a Tower Trainer 40 ARF when they're on sale. You can get them as low as $69.99 if you play your cards right.

All the fancy doodads on the Nexstar add weight and drag. They push up the power requirements, pushing you into more expensive power systems. A Tower Trainer 40 can be flown on an inexpensive 10-cell NiCd system. The Nexstar with the drag flaps and anti-stall devices will probably need a much more expensive 16-cell system with a brushless motor and LiPoly batteries. If you take these devices off, there's no point in paying the premium price for the Nexstar, right?

For affordable power, check out the oft-discussed Endoplasma system in the motors forum. A base brushless system using the AXi 2820/10, 10-cell CP2400 NiCd, and a 12x8 prop will give you a signifigant boost.