Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Is a Prebuilt Convertible? (TF Sierra)

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Is a Prebuilt Convertible? (TF Sierra)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:42 AM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Prebuilt Convertible? (TF Sierra)

New to the board, seems like a great place with many knowledgable folks.

I built a Top Flight Sierra Trainer a couple years ago, but never flew it. It's currently set up with a .40 nitro, 56" wing, approx. 3-4# flying weight, 4 channel, all wood covered in Monokote.

I'm wondering if I can convert this bird to electric since it's already built. I may need to shave some weight here and there (if possible - landing gear and wheels maybe?).

I'm thinking a Speed 600 or 700 with reducer would power this plane ok. I'm not after a speedster, but rather a slow flying 4ch trainer that can take off from a manicured grass strip. Not sure about the battery pack.

I'm just getting back into RC and haven't been around it in 24 years, so much has changed. This electric stuff is new to me too, but I'm learning quick (especially on this site). I can fly electric in the field behind my house because of the low noise where as a gasser would be too loud, thus the desire to convert the Sierra.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Prebuilt Convertible? (TF Sierra)

Pshaw. Or should I say KShaw because this is an electric forum?

Of course you can convert it! If it truly weighs about 4 pounds, then it can be done with relatively inexpensive gear, too. Weigh it as is and make sure of its actual weight.

Take a look at the Kyosho Endoplasma setups described in this forum. I know for a fact that I've detailed the famous Gary Wright E3D setup in this forum several times, so if it doesn't show up in a search, let me know. OK?