Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

56" Trainer - What motor/battery set up?

Old 04-29-2004, 03:58 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 56" Trainer - What motor/battery set up?

I am going to build a high wing 3ch trainer from scratch - a Live Wire Champion. This was a plane I had 23 years ago but now only have the plans and the wing which is in real good shape, wood seems to be good. I'm going to build the fuse and tail and lighten it as I go. The original plans claim a 30oz finished weight with no radio/motor, and can handle up to 30oz of equipment with fuel. The recommended power was .19 to .29. I am going to build this for electric power but am unsure of the power plant and batteries. I don't want to go nuts with brushless and li-po's and what not, but would like to keep it cheap. I'm figuring the plane will weigh in at a shade over 60oz ready to fly with a T-600 set up and 8-10 cell Ni-cd or Ni-mh packs. Would this work? What would be the best gear ratio and prop for this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

(BTW - I'm really wanting this plane to take off from a well groomed grass strip and flying times of 15 -20 minutes)
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 56" Trainer - What motor/battery set up?

I hate to be negative, but flying a 4 lb. airplane with a brushed motor in my opinion is going to be problematic. I doubt flight times are going to be much more than 5 minutes, if that. I'm currently flying a Bonnie 20 at 65 oz. with an AXI brushless direct drive and Phoenix 25 ESC. The pair costs around $195 but is well worth it in my opinion as there's nothing to wear out. Using 8-cell GP3300 Sub-C packs for 10 minutes easily.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:29 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Use a truck motor like an endoplasma or magnetic mayham and the Tower gearbox should work.

John
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 AM
gwright

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the endo, as suggested, will work. GD600 with 10 tooth pinion, 10 roundcells and 12X8 prop. Makes about 3.75 lbs thrust. I averaged 8+ minutes with those setups in E3D's. However, for your plane I'd actually recommend something else. The livewire champion isn't a high-speed plane, rather the opposite so the endo setup really isn't needed. One setup I really like in that style plane is a reverse rotation magnetic mayhem, GD600 gearbox, but with a 10 tooth pinion (4.6 ratio), 14X10 or 14X12 APC "E" prop, and 10 roundcells, or 3S1P/3S2P lipo. That setup draws about 20 amps peak with the 14X10 and a couple more amps with the 14X12. pitchspeed is a little low, in the 37~40mph range, but that should be absolutely perfect for the livewire champ. I've hovered a 3lb plane on that setup also (just barely, but it would hover,.. and at only 66watts/lb, so that sort of blows the watts/lb rules away ). Going from 10 3300's down to a 3S2P thunder power pack (low enough cost to be worthwhile) will save you about 3/4 lb over the nimh, and give you 4000mah capacity. that setup with 10 3000mah panasonics had been flown in E3D's for 14 to 16 minute flights,.. so with the lipolies (less weight and more cpacity, and not flown 3D,.. you could probably hit 25~30 minutes.