Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick .40 (Red, White and Blue)

Old 05-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hangar 9 Ultra Stick .40 (Red, White and Blue)

I thought I'd do a build along with this ARF (I couldn't find an older version with a build thread). It appears to me to be the same as the older Stick except the Rudder is Counter-balanced, and a great new color scheme. The manual appears to be the same (all photos are the Yellow,Blue,White version & no counter-balance), but there is a new box it's packaged in. I'm building this for use as a windy day plane, so making it light as possible isn't a goal I have. Durability is. That's the reason I picked this plane for my intended use, as Stick's seem to be rugged. It won't have the latest brushless on the front either. I'm go'n to use a AstroFlight Cobalt 40 that's in the "motors that need a home box". No Lipo's either, good old nicad's or nimh's. Servo's will be HS-422 I have lay'n round & Super-Slim RX.
Now on to the plane---
I weighed all the parts seperatly. Fuse 10oz, Vert Stab/Rudder 1 3/8oz, Quad Flaps 2 5/8oz, Hor Stab/Ele 3 1/2oz, Ailerons 2 3/8oz, Wing (both pannels) 16oz, Aluminum Landing Gear 3 1/2oz, Wingdowls/Joiner/Wing Hold Down Plate 3/4oz, Hanger 9 Pro Lite Main Wheels/Tail Wheel 2 1/8oz, Fuel Tank (like I need that) 2 3/8oz, Plastic Parts Bag (Clevis, Bolts, Horns, CA Hinges) 3/4oz, Metal Parts Bag (Axles, Tailwheel Gear, Screws, Nuts) 2 5/8oz, Alum. Motor Mnt 3 7/8oz. =51 7/8oz
My comments so far, it's a good plane for the money, comes with a very nice Decal pack (American Flag's, Hangar 9 Logo's, JR Logo's, Zenoah, Saito & Evolution). I do have some nit-picks though- some wrinkles in the covering (normal for all ARF's I've done), when removing the shipping tape that holds the ele to the hor stab, the covering from the back side of the Elevator joiner peeled off. I don't know how much I'll get done in the next few days, but will post it's progress as it develops. I'm having trouble with my picture program right now, so I'll post a pic when I get it sorted out. Thanks Billy
Quick Summary http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...640&tostyle=tm
Old 05-01-2004, 07:55 AM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Ultra Stick .40 (Red, White and Blue)

try to get pics!

How many cells r u using? R u sure yur Cobalt is gonna have enough power? Think u should talk to Greg.

Thanks,
Andrew T.

PS - BUSH AND CHENEY!!!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .40 (Red, White and Blue)

Andrew, I think it will have nuff power for sport flying on windy days, not like I'm go'n to try to hover this thing. I've had one of these on a 71" Cub, & it had good power, was bigger & heavier, + I've added 2 more cells, but the 2 may get pulled out if not needed.
Got pics working..... so long as they post......
The plane was packed very well.
I'm using the std ailerons, supplied CA hinges. The covering on the wing overlapped onto the root ribs. I used a small soldering iron to remove the covering at the root. Later I'll use a piece of covering over the joint. The instructions said nothing about removing the covering, but if you don't I think it would be a poor glue joint with a small gap between the root ribs. Also the instructions tell you to use a piece of clear or white covering to seal the ail hinge gap. I had some clear onhand so I used that. I think H9 should supply some strips of covering for this. It would cost them what...... 1/4 of a penny?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19516.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	128109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17461.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	128110  
Old 05-01-2004, 05:22 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great looking ARF. I've had 2 Ultra Sticks, the 40 and 60.

Also the instructions tell you to use a piece of clear or white covering to seal the ail hinge gap.
oops! i never did that....still flys good though..

And if u had enough power for the CUB, i guess this should be good for this. Good Luck

Andrew T.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wing

3dandpatternflyer -I don't think sealing the ailerons are a must do thing, but I'm not a big fan of CA hinges. I like pinned hinges, especially Robarts. I figured the monokote hinge seal would act as a second hinge so I went ahead & did it. 3dandpatternflyer Did you have any trouble getting full throw out of the ailerons with the supplied cont horns. The ones in my kit seem huge, they are 1 1/8" from the top hole to the base. I try to use horns that are the same length as my servo arms (arm center out to linkage hole). It comes close to the same length at the bottom hole, but still just a touch longer. I don't have any other arms on hand to use either I do like the large footprint of the supplied H9 horns, should spread the load nice.
Wing is done other than the linkage. I sanded the wing center joint with some sandpaper to smooth up the excess glue & the slight differences in the wing sheeting thickness. I then used some scrap blue & red trim sheet to cover the joint. I drilled the holes for the servo screws & applied some thin CA to the holes, then mounted the HS-422's. I did make one stupid screw up........... when I was cutting off the covering from the servo bays, I cut off the covering from the wrong bay on one wing. Should've been the bay closest to the center & I removed the covering from the outer bay O well things happen, I just patched it up with some white covering, & decided that would be a good place to put some kinda decal to hide my mistake alittle better.......
I've took my time & did some extra steps not listed in the manual, so it's took me some time on just the wing: 125 min's.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default gaps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The instructions tell you to glue the horizonal stab to the fuse, with the fuse & stab on a flat surface. Problem here is doing that would make a huge gap between the stab & the fuse at the leading edge of the stab. A VERY poor glue joint. I clamped the stab flush to the fuse when I glued it on. I know this will give the stab a positive insidence, we'll see how it affects flight. In the pic, I have the stab glued to the fuse, with a orange streight edge on the fuse. You can see the gap at the leading edge of the hor stab.
After that problem was solved I went to install the vert stab. Yet another problem. With the vert stab installed it contacted the fuse top at the leading edge of the stab, but had a large gap toward the trailing edge. The bottom of the vert stab glues to the top of the hor stab. I removed material from the bottom of the vert stab until I got a good fit. The instructions also don't say anything about removing the covering from the top of the fuse to glue the vert stab on. I removed the covering here to glue the vert stab better to the fuse. You can see in the pic the gap at the vert stab.

Name:	Hf98085.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	128611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91477.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	128612  
Old 05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when i glued in the horizontal stab,i actually forgot to remove the covering. As soon as i realized it, i just put in 3 screws and it still flys.

I didn't have any probs with vertical stab though. Just sanded it down and epoxied in place..

Hope everything works for u, and the flight charcteristics will make up for the frustrations.

Andrew T.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These things are mass-produced, and you often have to do some fine tuning with a sanding block to get the parts to fit correctly. It's nothing to be afraid of, just a little balsa dust and some elbow grease.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

(3dandpatternflyer-i actually forgot to remove the covering)
I dont think it's a disaster not doing it, but I expcet this plane (mine)will see some abuse, so I want it as strong & tight as possible.
(Matt Kirsch -These things are mass-produced, and you often have to do some fine tuning with a sanding block to get the parts to fit correctly. It's nothing to be afraid of, just a little balsa dust and some elbow grease)
I'm not afraid of it, just disappointed. I understand some work, but this ones by FAR is the worst H9 ARF I've put together. The shortcomings of the airframe & inst manual together have me wondering if H9 didn't do much testing of this plane (if it's actually made different from the orginal stick .40, or from a different sweatshop)
More disappointment: The slots for the CA hinges are long, but seem to be rounded in the bottom of the slot. To get both surfaces to line up you must do alittle work with an exacto. Nothing new here, most arf's I've built been this way & I can deal with that. The next prob is the plywood at the rear of the fuse isn't slotted for the tailwheel bearing. It would have been nice if this step was already done, or at the very least, have instructions that have you do this before you glue the hor stab on. It would have been easier for me anyhow before the stab was installed. Next prob... I trial fit the elevator & you cann't get full deflection because the ele joiner hitts the bottom of the rudder. I'll have to cut a notch out of the rudder for clearance. I have around 1/16" between the top of the vert stab & the bottom of the counterbalance of the rudder. For clearance of the ele joiner without making a notch in the rudder would require a huge gap between the stab & the counterbalance. Next--- This one's not really a problem, but baffles me. the vert stab and the rudder are beveled. Now with the double bevel, move the rudder to full deflection= the rudder is OVER the elevator prventing up movement. It's not like I'm going to 3d with this plane, just your basic acro, so it's not a big deal for me, or for the majority of the people (IMO) who will be flying a Stick. Just seems a step in the manufacturing process that could be left out to save time/money. Maybe use that savings & apply it to making that slot in the plywood for that tailwheel bearing
Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I measured the ele throw before cutting the notch=17* with the notch cut now I can get up to 40*
total build time of the tail assy 155min......
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

u sound like a very VERY patient builder...
I could never spend that much time. GOOD LUCK!

Andrew T.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:55 PM
jboy381-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

billy love your avtar...he's got my vote

john
Old 05-05-2004, 09:28 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BUSH AND CHENEY!!

billy love your avtar...he's got my vote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cont horns

The supplied cont horns just seemed to big for a .40 size plane, but I used them anyway. As I was expecting you cann't get full throw with the supplied horns (clevis in the bottom hole) & standard servo arms. I suppose you could use some extra long arms to get the desired throw, but would put the ele/rud servo arms close to one another & possible binding of the cont rods due to being out of alignment with the pushrod tubes. For just normal sport flying I think I've got enough throw on the ele, but not sure if there's nuff throw in the rudder for the occasional (sloppy) knife edge.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default avtar

jboy381-RCU "billy love your avtar...he's got my vote"
It got changed for me.......
Billy Haynes,
Hi. I removed your avatar as it deals with politics. RCU does not allow
the use or discussion of politics or religion on the site. Too
controversial. Plenty of other places on the web to promote or discuss
politics. RCU has never been one of them.
You may upload a new avatar that does conform to RCU's rules at anytime.
Thanks for you cooperation in advance.
Marc Vigod
President
RC Universe

Notice that when you two pointed it out, I made no reply on that subject as I didn't want to start a political controversy. It was just there as a way of expressing my views. Guess it still got someone's panties in a wad & pointed it out to Marc. O well, I still have it on the EZone, which by the way is my prefered site (BY FAR). I'm just posting this build/conversion here for people who don't visit the EZone (they must not know about it or why else would they be here? Although I do like this site better for glow/gas topics, which I'm not heavly into anymore.) & I'm sure a mod will delete this post as soon as "someone" points it out to them.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for everyone who doesn't know Bill Haynes Avatar. It said BUSH AND CHENEY!!!

Sorry Bill Haynes, I noticed u never did talk about Bush....

Keep up the posts and pics of yur Ultra Stick 40 though!

Andrew T.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultra Stick .40

More progress. I subbed the supplied cont horns on the ailerons with some Sig horns I had. I don't have to have extreme throw on the ele & rud for sport flying, but I like alot of throw in the ailerons. I love to fly low & fast down the runway C.L. & pull vert into multiple fast rolls. Or just quick rolls in level flight. I know, not very complicated or impressive, but I enjoy it all the same. I used the following supplied linkage hardware- all cont rods, clevis's, (2) cont horns. I didn't use the supplied EZ links. I'll use EZ links or z bends on something like a Seniorita, Cub or Telemaster, but not on a sport plane. I used Dubro Solder Kwik-Links on the servo end of the rod (non threaded part of the wire). Another H9 short coming was found in the cont hookup process. The supplied clevis's: the end you screw on the threaded rod is bigger than the threads on the rod for about 1/3 the length of the clevis, the other end of the hole is plugged. So that means you only have around 3/16" of clevis that's gripping the threads, & not much to work with for adjustment. To "fix" this I used my exacto to open up the plugged end of the clevis. I hooked up the linkage with some threads sticking out of the clevis, so I have some room to play with for adjustment & the clevis will be held on by as many threads as possible. I hope this wasn't too confusing
Hopefully I'll be able to find time to balance it tomarrow & do some tweaking in the TX (expo, H/L rates, timer ect)
Old 05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hopefully I'll be able to find time to balance it tomarrow & do some tweaking in the TX (expo, H/L rates, timer ect)
Does that mean yur done?
Would love to see pics of how u mounted motor, and some flying pics. Hope u have FUN!!!

Thanks,
Andrew T.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:42 PM
jboy381-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: avtar

ORIGINAL: Billy Haynes

jboy381-RCU "billy love your avtar...he's got my vote"
It got changed for me.......
Billy Haynes,
Hi. I removed your avatar as it deals with politics. RCU does not allow
the use or discussion of politics or religion on the site. Too
controversial. Plenty of other places on the web to promote or discuss
politics. RCU has never been one of them.
You may upload a new avatar that does conform to RCU's rules at anytime.
Thanks for you cooperation in advance.
Marc Vigod
President
RC Universe

Notice that when you two pointed it out, I made no reply on that subject as I didn't want to start a political controversy. It was just there as a way of expressing my views. Guess it still got someone's panties in a wad & pointed it out to Marc. O well, I still have it on the EZone, which by the way is my prefered site (BY FAR). I'm just posting this build/conversion here for people who don't visit the EZone (they must not know about it or why else would they be here? Although I do like this site better for glow/gas topics, which I'm not heavly into anymore.) & I'm sure a mod will delete this post as soon as "someone" points it out to them.

billy,
i'm sorry dude...i didn't mean to bring it into the spotlight...i guess i should have sent you a pm instead...

john
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yur done?
Would love to see pics of how u mounted motor-
Still working on the motor mnt/cg. With the brick batt all the way aginst the servo tray, it's just a tad nose heavy. Dont want to try & describe the motor mnt, will post a pic of it when I'm done. I'm going to have to mount the motor 1/2 in & 1/2 out of the firewall, but will need to cut some of the end of the motor mnt off. Hope to get this done in the morn, & test fly in the afternoon........ if I skip my cuz's wedding
Old 05-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wedding...... what wedding? You mean that was today?
I've been busy giving my truck it's Bi-annual wash, so the Stick isn't totally done. Need to go to the store & get some velcro, & play with the TX. Hope to fly later, but the winds been acting up today. If it's blowing more than lightly later on today, it won't get maidened. Took some pics: motor mounting, cooling holes, scoop, ect. AUW w/ the 20c 2400's (2lb 9 3/4oz) is 7lb 2 1/8oz! 6oz less than I was hope'n for & 14oz's less than I realisticly expected.

Name:	Om34292.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	130277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67856.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	130278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48183.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	130279  
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default It fly's!

I got one 6min flight in this afternoon. There was light wind & it flew like there wasn't any wind at all. My photographer had trouble taking poto's. He'd never used my digi camera before & it takes some practice to get good pics from it. The ground I took off from was very rough, but the takeoff was pretty good. Slight rudder correction was needed, but not much. A couple clicks of right aileron & up ele. was all that was needed. Rolls were great, loops easy, inverted flight was sooo easy. It has a cool whistle to it at high speed. The landing was easy, untill it touched down on the rough ground, then it bounced around some, but this wasn't the planes fault. More info to come later.

Name:	Tr50010.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	130474  
Old 05-09-2004, 01:53 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great Conversion!

How is the vertical?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultra Stick .40

I only got one flight today also, a storm came up [] It has good vertical, but def not unlimited(I know a Lipo pack would help out here). I was alittle conserned about the horizonal stab incidence, but hasn't been a problem. It took some up ele trim for hands off level flight. I've got it trimmed so it takes a touch of up ele for upright level flight & about the same amount of down ele stick travel for inverted flight. Most places I fly from is rough ground (our club runway is still growing in) & the bottom of the horizonal stab is taking a beating. I've just patched the small nicks in the covering w/clear scotch tape. I may need to make a bigger air scoop/intake hole to the fuse. The motor temp isn't bad (120F-145F depending on where I take the reading), but the batt temp is high (160F). First I'm going to cut some 1/32 balsa to cover the former at the wing mnt plate to keep the air from flowing in the rear of the fuse & hopefully forced better out the air exit holes for better airflow. I haven't checked amp draw yet, but guess it's around 30 or so, not sure how the old 2400's is going to take this. O well, if they don't, I may be buying lipos sooner than I was expecting. I overheard my fellow club flyers comment on what power it had & how quite it was while I was fly'n Some investigating in lipo's to get 10-12min flight time is in order, or 2 10min flights if thats possible. 6 mins just isn't cutting it but I usually don't fly longer than 10min with my glow planes. I tried to figure out the build time, I know it took 9hrs with what I kept up with, but it prob took 10-11hrs to assemble.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Billy Haynes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ultra Stick .40

+ I liked
+ Overall very well built
+ Some steps listed in the manual are already done in the new ARF's
+ Good contrast in color top/bottom
+ Very hard plywood firewall, should hold up well to abuse
+ Covering on wing was perfect, hardly any wrinkles & all edges sealed
+ Very nice decal pack
+ Controll throws listed in the manual in degrees & inches
+ Complete instructions on how to program your JR or Futaba comp radio.
++ Fly's great
+ Only slight rudder correction needed on takeoff
+ Only slight trim adjustment was needed
+ Solid inverted flight
+ Landings are easy & slow (for such a high wing loading I'm fly'n at)
- I didn't like
- Edge of covering came off the horizonal stab/ele when removing the shipping tape, no matter how careful I was
- Ply plate for tailwheel bearing would really help to be pre slotted, or would help (for me anyhow) if the manual told you to slot the ply plate before the horizonal stab is glued on
- Manual doesn't advise to remove the covering from the top of the fuse to glue the vert stab on (would be a small glue area if not glued to the top of the fuse)
- Vert stab to top of fuse poor fit (had to do some trimming from the bottom of the stab to get a good fit)
- The elevator joiner would hit the bottom of the rudder with only 17deg of up ele travel (I cut a notch in the rudder for more ele travel)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service