Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

47in.scale fairchild "22" convert to electric

Old 05-20-2004, 02:35 AM
GREGF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 47in.scale fairchild "22" convert to electric

I am looking at converting a farechild 22 kit from flyline to electric it would normally be powered by a .049 to .15 gas engine. what sort of electric should i be puttin in this thing ie size and batt required.

I have already got hold of a futaba all in one four chanel receiver MCR-4A which will run motors between 280 and 540 class. will this do the trick. I would want to stick to a brushed motor at this stage to keep cost down.

Oh yeah i also wish to use lipo batts to run the thing.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 47in.scale fairchild "22" convert to electric

Greg,

If you keep the weight down during the build, you can probably get away with using a Speed 600 (aka 540 class) power system, either geared or direct drive depending upon your desired prop size.

A good quality Speed 600 motor for direct drive applications is the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXW928&P=ML]Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem[/link] for $20. It can spin a 6"-7" prop on 7-8 cells NiCd or 2-cells Lithium.

For a geared system, use the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXW929&P=ML]Magnetic Mayhem Reverse[/link] timed motor and a $13 [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSL79&P=ML]GD-600[/link] gearbox from Great Planes. These are usually available at local hobby shops also. The geared system can spin a 10"-11" prop.

You can vary the system power level by changing pinion gears to increase the reduction ratio and by adding cells (voltage) while keeping the current around the 20-22amp level at full throttle. Some folks use up to 10-cell NiCd packs or 3s Lithium configurations on these power systems.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:20 AM
GREGF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your reply greg. I picked up the kit tonight and its great heaps of detail etc. I got it over the internet via auction. It is made by flyline which is a company that has closed down. Opened the box which is about 10 years old and as part of the info supplied with the kit there is a blurb on a conversion to electric which points to this plane flying well with this type of power source. Weight of gas powered version is stated as 2.5 pounds ready to fly.

for the two cell lipo option are you guys running 1200mah 7.2 volt setup or are you running a more grunty setup.

see pic of kit below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59616.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	134579  
Old 05-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg,

That box looks like a real blast from the past! Probably plenty of wooden sticks and sheet balsa inside before the days of laser-cut kits.

When choosing a Lithium cell, you must determine your current draw first. A Magnatic Mayhem Speed 600 motor can draw 20-22 amps. I then try to use a Lithium pack or cell combination where the continuous delivery current rating equals the maximum motor current draw.

You could use two of the 2-cell Kokam 1500 packs wired in parallel for a 24amp continuous current delivery and a 3000mAh capacity (good flight time).
[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/kokam.htm]FM15002[/link]

[link=https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Store]FMA Direct[/link] sells a 2-cell Kokam 2000mAh pack (KOK2000-15C-2S-DNS) that can deliver 30amps continuous for only $57.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 PM
GREGF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yip your onto it all the bits are going to need to be hand cut. It even has dampers in the wheel struts which are made from pen springs. The whole kit goes together like some of the smaller rubber powered models. No foam or plastic to be seen here