Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Converting a Golberg Viper 2

Old 05-24-2004, 09:42 PM
VTaerospace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Converting a Golberg Viper 2

Hi,

I am using the Viper 2 for some aeroelastic research I am doing at Virginia Tech. The specs can be found for it on Tower here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH755&P=0
It will end up being a little heavier than the specs say after all the instrumentation is added.

I need to convert it to electric because the weight of the plane does not change as the flight progresses like a gas plane would. I have never built any electrics this large that I did the electric power system for. I really am not sure what is available for the scale of model. So has anyone done an electric conversion on a plane about this size before? I want to use Ni-Mh batteries, but other than that I am pretty open to suggestions.

Also, I am looking for a way to measure the thrust during flight. The only thing i've come up with is to mount the motor on something with a strain gauge attached to it. My adviser wants the thrust measured directly so aerodynamic m-dot calculations are not an acceptable means of calculation (that was my first idea).

The main thing here is the electric conversion. Any thoughts anyone has on the other stuff would be appreciated, but as of right now the electric conversion is my biggest concern. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Chris
Old 05-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Converting a Golberg Viper 2

Goldberg TIGER 2. There's a guy in my club that would draw and quarter you for blasphmeny.

An AXi 4120/14 on 12 to 16 cells, depending on what size prop you use, is a good choice. The bigger the prop, the fewer cells you need.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:47 AM
VTaerospace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Converting a Golberg Tiger 2

Yeah, Tiger 2. Thats what I meant. Must have been looking at two planes and crossed the names.