Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Elder 40 electric conversion

Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Jon Farmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Elder 40 electric conversion

I am currently building a Top Flite elder 40 and am considering electric instead of gas. It is my second electric aircraft, the first being a Coyote electric glider. I would appreciate it if anybody could give me help in deciding on the engine, batteries and controller as well as installation. I am not after a super high performance plane (its an Elder 40) but rather a reliable and relaxing fly without too much build difficulty.

Thus far I have not started the fuse so I am reasonably free to do what I want.

I imagine that there must be some useful links, threads, articles etc out there as well, all info is welcome. And don't worry too much about insulting my intelligence.

Best regards

Jon Farmer
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Elder 40 electric conversion

Oh man, you shouldn't bait me with phrases like "don't worry too much about insulting my intelligence." The way I feel today I might be tempted to let fly. Must... Bite... Tongue... OW!

The AXi 4120/14 on 12, 14, or 16 cells with a 14x8, 13x8 or 12x8 prop (respectively) makes a good all-around .40-size power combination, IMHO. Choose 12 cells and a 14x8 prop for sedate flying like your Elder, or a Piper Cub. Choose 14 cells and a 13x8 for general .40-size sport models. Aerobatic models and "heavy metal" warbirds benefit from 16 cells and a 12x8 prop.

What's nice about the AXi is that there are no gears to strip or pop loose on a bouncy landing (you know who you are). While the motor itself is less efficient than a conventional brushless capable of handling a similar amount of power, overall, it's a wash because you end up adding a gearbox to the conventional motor.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Elder 40 electric conversion

MaxCim has a .PDF review of an electric conversion: http://www.maxcim.com/pdfs/MAC_Elder.pdf