Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sig Wonder Conversion

Old 06-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Wonder Conversion

My club races Sig Wonders powered by "any bushed .25 engine". I am sick and tired of listening to my fellow club members refer to electrics as powered gliders. I would like to convert this plane to electric. Keeping the airframe light will be easy. Anyone have any thoughts on a motor/battery combination? I am only considering brushless and li-po.

Thanks,
Ken
NC36454
KK5JD
Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig Wonder Conversion

I generally recommend "10-cell" power systems for .25 sized airplanes. That's a 3S LiPoly pack, with however many packs in parallel required to get you 40A of continuous current. With the new 20C Kokam 2100s, that's one pack.

For speed, you'll want something direct drive. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is an AXi 2820/10 with maybe a 10x8 or 9x9 prop. Interpolating from the modelmotors.cz website, you'll be spinning in the mid 8000s, which is a pitch speed of around 65 MPH on the 10x8 and 72MPH on the 9x9. Given the lightweight wonder, it'll reach that easily.

If you want faster, you need a different motor, something a bit hotter, probably spinning a smaller prop.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken,

This type of plane will actually perform better with an electric power system.

If speed is a premium concern, use the Mega power system from my [link=http://www.gregcovey.com/wings.htm]100mph ProJeti[/link] wing.

Another option for great speed is to use the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGCW8&P=ML]Kontronik Brushless 400 Set[/link] at Tower Hobbies.

Either option can draw up to 30amps so the Kokam (15C) 2AH or (20C) 2.1AH Lithium packs will work fine. If you plan to beat on this system at full speed for long runs, I would use the (20C) 2.1AH packs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19759.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	144233  
Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg,

Thanks for the information! I will most likely use Kokams since I have an ever growing STACK of them. I just can't stop myself!

The guys at the field say that I can race with them (they don't see electrics as a threat), but I'm sure they will cry foul when all is said and done.

I checked your web site and found it to be very infomative, thanks for providing such valuable information! Incidentally, my Son Jeremiah (12 at the time) and I were commisioned by EAM to do the review on the Pop-Fly when it first came out. Check it out at :

http://eapg.org/Reviews/PopFly/PopFly.htm

Again thanks for the info and I hope to hear from you again!

Ken
KK5JD
NC36454 (1941 Taylorcraft)
Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken,

Yes, I see now that you are in Dallas. I remember reading that review of the PopFly years ago when I was with the E-Zone. I still fly mine at indoor events during the long Winter months up here. It was the only indoor-capable wing until another Texan designed the SuperFlea Twin.

I'm glad that you are having a blast with e-flight and it's great to see that your son enjoys it too! Say "hi" to Dave at EAM for me next time you see him.

Regards.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:44 PM
gwh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken,
I am flying a Great Planes Viper 500 quickie plane on a Mega 22/30/3, 3S1P Kokam 2100 (20C) cells, and a 9X8 prop. The plane weighs 3 lbs 9 oz and pulls 30 amps on a fresh charge. This set up will make your Wonder really haul.

Wendell
Old 07-12-2004, 07:14 PM
stanger89

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey all, been reading the forum a bit trying to glean what info I can. I've been flying for a long time, but only started playing with electrics somewhat recently. I too have a Wonder I'm converting to electric, it's actually already had two electric power systems so far, but let's just it's been less than satisfactory. Anyway, after a few years of college and not enough flying I've got the urge to get my Wonder going again, hate to do another "Newb needs help with electric conversion" but here goes:

Sig Wonder - 19 oz, RTF w/o power system
Aiming to keep AUW within the design limits of 26-38 oz
I'm looking for semi agressive sport flying, loops, rolls, fast low passes
- From what I understand 100W/lb is a good target for that performance, so about 200W give or take
Based on that, reading here, and playing with Motocalc, I'm thinking:
Mega 16/15/4 Direct with about an 8x6 (maybe 7x6)
Castle Phoenix 35
6-7 Cells probably Sanyo 1700 SCRs that I have

According to Motocalc, on 7 cells that would be ~34 oz, 33A static for 3 min, or probably 5+ min for mixed partial/full throttle flight.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, I'm trying to stick with as little (cheap) as possible (being between college and job) but I still want to do it right this time.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gwh

Ken,
I am flying a Great Planes Viper 500 quickie plane on a Mega 22/30/3, 3S1P Kokam 2100 (20C) cells, and a 9X8 prop. The plane weighs 3 lbs 9 oz and pulls 30 amps on a fresh charge. This set up will make your Wonder really haul.

Wendell
I second the Mega.

We run a 22/30/2 9x6 in a Twinjet, goes unlimited at 3s2p Kok 2000. moves too fast for the TJ airframe at 4s, the whole ship kind of tires to turn it self inside out... but a wonder would probably hold up.

/2 on 3s is about 500watts, which should outperform a .25

BTW, when you outfly them by far they will drop the "powerd glider" thingy and start complainging about $$$ LOL
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know that this is off topic, but are you running two mega 22/30/2 on the twinjet. I'm using two mega 16/15/4 on mine.

John
Old 07-13-2004, 04:22 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stanger89

Hey all, been reading the forum a bit trying to glean what info I can. I've been flying for a long time, but only started playing with electrics somewhat recently. I too have a Wonder I'm converting to electric, it's actually already had two electric power systems so far, but let's just it's been less than satisfactory. Anyway, after a few years of college and not enough flying I've got the urge to get my Wonder going again, hate to do another "Newb needs help with electric conversion" but here goes:

Sig Wonder - 19 oz, RTF w/o power system
Aiming to keep AUW within the design limits of 26-38 oz
I'm looking for semi agressive sport flying, loops, rolls, fast low passes
- From what I understand 100W/lb is a good target for that performance, so about 200W give or take
Based on that, reading here, and playing with Motocalc, I'm thinking:
Mega 16/15/4 Direct with about an 8x6 (maybe 7x6)
Castle Phoenix 35
6-7 Cells probably Sanyo 1700 SCRs that I have

According to Motocalc, on 7 cells that would be ~34 oz, 33A static for 3 min, or probably 5+ min for mixed partial/full throttle flight.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, I'm trying to stick with as little (cheap) as possible (being between college and job) but I still want to do it right this time.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Electric Universe!!

I used to fly a 1/12 spitrifre on a 16/15/3. I set it up to match the glow powerd air combat planes.

2s2p old kokam 3300 7x6 prop. went very well, almost vertical on a 850gram plane. quite fast too.

today I would have choosen a Thunder power 2s2p 4000. and a 7x5 prop.

the kokam 6600mAh gave me 17min of full throttle flying, and the motor was bairly warm when landing, so no problem there. (only 270watts or so)

http://www.henke.rchomepage.com/video/spit2.wmv

I would consider this as a medium setup for a lighter Wonder
Old 07-13-2004, 04:24 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

aah sorry, one 22/30. one larger prop at 450watts gives way more output power then two smaller at the same input wattage

I guess it moves quite well on two 16/15/x too!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jonnyjetprop

I know that this is off topic, but are you running two mega 22/30/2 on the twinjet. I'm using two mega 16/15/4 on mine.

John
aah sorry, one 22/30. one larger prop at 450watts gives way more output power then two smaller at the same input wattage

I guess it moves quite well on two 16/15/x too!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It turns heads at the glow guy's field

John

Converting one rcer at a time.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
stanger89

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, just wanted to thank you guys for the input and to post my results for anyone else interested.

I recieved my Mega 16/15/3 and Phoenix 25 and installed them in the Wonder. I'm running a 7x5E APC (direct) prop and 7 RC-1700 Sanyos. AUW is 37oz according to my scale, and I can tool around on half throttle easily (I'm pleased because the previous setups need full throttle). Seems to fly very well, with great climb performance (almost vertical).

The only problem I had was with the CG. I inadvertently proved what happens when you assume, I mistakenly placed the battery with the CG 3/8" aft (well outside the +/- 1/16" range in the manual). Needless to say the flight was rather exciting, more so than I like (can you say snap!). I've since fixed the CG (right at 2-3/8" now), but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Due to the CG issue, I only flew a minute or two, but based on discharging the battery afterwords I'd estimate 7.5-10 minute flight times should be very reasonable. Overall I'm very pleased with the setup and look forward to many flights. I also look forward to trying li-pos sometime which may give me unlimited vertical which would be very cool.

Anyway, thanks for the input
Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Dezynco

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just built a Sig Wonder and put an electric system in it. I built it according to the plans, more or less, so I really didn't change anything. I installed a new Multiplex BL-480/8D, Castle Creations Phoenix 25 speed controller. I am using 2 1500mah Kokam's in parallel. WOW does this plane fly great! I've so much fun with it. It's really fast and flies rock steady. I'm using a MAS 8x4 electric prop. All up weight is 30 oz! Highly recommended!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
stanger89

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quick update,

I fixed the CG, and have had it out a few times, and wow, flys great. I can tool around at half throttle easy, well not really tool around, it's pretty fast at half, at full throttle it climbs like WOW. It's not unlimited but it can go vertical as high as I care to take it. I'm definitely going to have to look at some Lipos though, I'd love to see the performance if I dropped another 4-6oz.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM
metalbuggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just finished building an electric Wonder, it should get covered this weekend. To get recommendations on a motor I was referred to a fellow named Tom Hunt, he suggested I use an AXI 28/14/10, Kokam 3s 1500mAh 15C, a phoenix-45 esc, with an 8x6 prop. Does anyone else have this motor? All I have left to purchase is the battery, and I'm looking at the 2000mAh 15C from kokam. I can't wait to maiden this plane, it should be a screamer!
Brian.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 PM
thejc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dezynco I have had thoughts of doung the same setup ,but useing 1300 or 1800 kans. Might be better with the 6 turn multiplex.Are you running 2s2p?lipos. Mine has a 2o os plain bearing motor -Ihave not flown it for about 5years.