Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Sea Monster Conversion to electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sea Monster Conversion to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Pond Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Monster Conversion to electric?

I retired on a small lake, and plan to buy a Sea Monster 46-61 ARF. Would it be practical to convert this plane to electric, what would I need,and how much would it cost for a first class system? I have been away from modes for a long time. It is a whole new game now. I have a lot to learn. Bought cheap a V tail 3 channel trainer to crash, and learn on. I want an electric plane to get away from the noise.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Sea Monster Conversion to electric?

Is anything we do practical?

I'd guess about $700 to do a "first class" electric conversion with brushless motor and LiPoly batteries.

Could you provide some specifics on the plane, though?
Prop clearance: How much prop can you get between the pylon and the fuselage?
Weight: Empty, if possible, and the manufacturer's recommended.

I'm guessing probably something like a 6S1P or 6S2P Kokam 2100 LiPoly pack, AXI 4120/18, 13x8 or 13x10 prop. You can start out with a single 6-cell Kokam 2100 pack, then add a second later to double your flying time. These cells will easily handle 40 Amps, and you can easily get 5 minutes of flying from a single 2100 pack.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Pond Flyer

Hobby People recomended a Magnum XLS 46A engine with a 11"X6" prop. The plane has a 775sq" 62" wing, and a 55" long body with the engine on a pylon. I don't know what the weight is. The engine with all the goodies comes to about $300. Do most people like flying the electric over gas? I am concerned with anoying the residents around the lake with a screaming engine, or is that normaly a problem?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Pond Flyer

I just ordered an electric Donald 4 Seaplane from Hobby-Loby. It was $467 total for a complete package with everything I need. The plane looks like a Sea Monster with a 55" wingspan, and electric motor. Thanks for Your help.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Probably a good choice to go with a purpose-built electric at this stage. As far as what people prefer, it's very tough to say. The actual number of people out there flying small electric planes is unknown, because up to this point, they've had no need to organize and/or join the AMA.

Electrics do tend to keep the neighbors happier, but once in a while you'll get someone who is sooooo uptight that they can't stand seeing other people having fun and enjoying themselves. They're the type that would complain no matter what you fly. "That plane is buzzing my house and scaring me and my cats!"