Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Convert Shuttle ZX to Electric or Go Micro?

Old 07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
mintycooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Convert Shuttle ZX to Electric or Go Micro?

Ok, this being my very 1st post; i'd like to start by saying this is an awesome site!
I've lost hours perusing the forums thanks to all the great posts...

Here’s my dilemma:
R/C heli flying is finally returning to my life after many years of denial.
however, i’ve got to go electric. My neighbors refuse to accept the concept of “safe IC” & i’ll admit that i’m thoroughly fed up with maintenance too. (No offense to my IC flying friends; it’s just not for me at the moment)

The facts i’m now facing are:

1) There’s a Shuttle ZX sitting in my garage which is 50-70% spoiled thanks to neglect & a fatal crash some years ago.

2) I’ve got to be able to take my heli+parts to wherever my job sends me.

3) It would be great to do 3D indoors, but it’s not a requirement.

4) It would be nice to be able to convert to a scale bodykit in the future (if not already).

5) Pricier & Long term is better than cheap & Short term.

6) The budget is no more than $500 total.

So my options are:

a) Scrap It! Just get a whole new Micro setup like a:
- Zoom400
-Piccolo Pro
- Kysho Caliber 24 Schweizer 300
-Keyence Revolutor
-Keyence Gyrosaucer II
-Honey Bee
-Hornet

b) Scrap It! Just get a whole new full size electric like a:
-Voyager E
-Mikado Logo 10+3D
-Mikado Logo 20
-(Dream about a Logo Bionic)
-LMH Corona
-Eco 16

b) Convert Shuttle to electric if possible?

c) Get a budget Micro for indoors & fix up IC Shuttle for the occasional open field...

All suggestions much appreciated,

-Mintycooper
Old 07-14-2004, 12:13 PM
VinceHerman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Convert Shuttle ZX to Electric or Go Micro?

In no particular order:

5) Pricier & Long term is better than cheap & Short term.
Man, I love to find that other people feel this way. I read and reply on a lot of boards and it is almost universally tilted the other way. Beginners always want the bottom dollar, lowest cost solution. I preach (and rant and rave) that you get what you pay for.

3) It would be great to do 3D indoors, but it’s not a requirement.
What is indoors for you? I have seen 3d in a gymnasium, but I would not fly those in my livingroom.

I have experience setting up the FP models (several Piccolos and a Hummingbird). If you are going FP for better indoor flying, I would recommend either of these, 3 cell LiPo batteries, Futaba gy240 head hold gyro, any main esc (pixie 7p) and a high frequency tail ESC (schulze slim 105he or Trec)
I believe that both of these (I know the Piccolo and I think the Hummingbird) can be upgraded to CP if you want more. Not full 3D unless you go with higher perfomance parts (brushless motor, high RPM head) but more stability and manueverability than a FP.

Then you can look down the road towards a bigger bird that can handle more than the mildest of breezes. I do fly my FP Piccolo outdoors every chance I get. Which is maybe one or two evenings a month when it is calm enough. Bigger would definitely be better for outdoors.

4) It would be nice to be able to convert to a scale bodykit in the future (if not already).
I believe that there are several different ones for the Piccolo (and likely the Hummingbird). Almost everyone I read that runs scale bodies runs 3 cell LiPo to better handle the extra weight.

6) The budget is no more than $500 total.
Assuming you still have your transmitter (and just taking a stab at the prices):
Piccolo fun kit $70
replacement ARL $12
micro receiver $20
2 6g servos $28
gy240 $120
schulze s. 105 $55 (?) (or TREC for $74)
pixie 7p $35 (gws ics100 would be cheaper)
3 cell LiPo $35
Charger (lpc-400) $60

If my math is right, you are in the $435 range.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:33 PM
mintycooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Convert Shuttle ZX to Electric or Go Micro?

Thanks Vince Herman

I've often contemplated the Piccolo series. It seems to have existed long enought for a wide range of aftermarket parts and readily available replacements. I have however seen a few reports about limited capabilities & upgrades to the Zoom/Shogun 400.

Weather in business or fun, i've always found that you end up paying much more for cheap alternatives than saving up for the right equipment.

By "3D indoors" i was wishing for a heli small enough to do acrobatics in a living room. Keyence has an extremely small 350mm+ heli that does very well indoors, but can't do 3D. You can see it at: http://store.aikotradingstore.com/keyrchelrevh.html

Yes i have noticed now that there are quite a few attractive body/scale housings for the Piccolo series. I do really like the "no hassel" Kyosho M24 Schweizer 300 though, if i 3D indoor flight isn't an option.

The cost break down is great. It's really nice to know where most of your $$ will be spent before going into an investment.

Thanks again so much for your thorough & knowledgeable reply.