Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 electric power or a .40 size

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Funtana 90 electric power or a .40 size

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:20 PM
kwiktsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 electric power or a .40 size

I have been looking at a couple 3D glow planes at my LHS that I thought would be cool to do an electric powerplant in- one is the Funtana 90. I have a 5 turn racing motor (I think it is a Plettenburg- "775" size) from my fast electric hydro that I was thinking maybe that and 16-18 cells or so with a gear drive. Will this work?

Also, if I were to go to a 40 sized plane, would a 550 size motor and say 8-12 cells do the trick there (either direct or geared)? I am new to this electric conversion stuff, I would go brushless, but the $$$ is too much for me right now to power such a large plane. I would rather stick with what I have. Thanks.
Joe
Old 07-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Funtana 90 electric power or a .40 size

In either case, the plane will be very underpowered. Move the larger Plettenburg setup into the smaller plane, and you'll have something. It won't be unlimited like its glow powered counterpart, but on 16 cells, the .40-size should perform fairly well.

Electric conversions are a matter of figuring out how much power it's going to take to fly the plane the way you want it to fly, then converting that into a battery.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:20 PM
kwiktsi

Thanks!! I wasn't sure what motor would equate to what glow motor. So should I do the Plettenburg direct or with a gear box? Also, where can I get a box to fit this motor and what ratio/prop would be a good starting point? Like I said, this is all new to me and I don't know where to look for parts or what is even better than what. I have been flying for a while now, just not done any conversions. Thanks again.
Joe
Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 PM
kwiktsi

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention- one of the planes I am really interested in is the twist 40.
Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Matt Kirsch

You can't think in terms of "what electric motor is equivalent to what glow engine." It doesn't work that way. The glow engine is the entire power system, while the electric motor is only a minor component of an electric power system. You can literally substitute hundreds of different electric motors into a particular electric power system and have the exact same performance.

Without the specifications for the Plettenberg motor, it's impossible to tell what you need out front to get it to spin a reasonably large prop. On a plane like the Funtana, you want to spin the largest prop you can.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:45 AM
kwiktsi

How about the twist 40 then? I have been told the 550 sized motors (especially the hotter ones) are good for that plane and the Plett. is too big and overkill. You say the plett is best suited for that- and you seem to know more than the people telling me not to run it. It does seem like a lot for the .40 sized plane. I know the motor is only part of it, that is why I was saying the cell count I would like to use also. I just dont know who makes good gear boxes that will fit the 550 or 775 motors. I have been trying to find specs on the plett, but can't find one that looks like it. It is a motor I bought from a shop a while back who specializes in fast electric stuff (will not mention names) who peeled the manufacturers decals off of it and put theirs on it and said it is their special built motor. I cannot even 100% say it is a plettenburg, but that is what everyone who has seen it has called it. They just said "5 turn czech racing motor" when I asked what it was and would not give any further details..
Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
bigbobed

I'm putting together a Twist with an AXI 4120/14, 4S3P Irate 1800's. Used this combo in a Simply Magic with good results. Didn't have unlimited vertical, but would loop on half throttle. Unfortunately, pilot error put it on the ground last week.
Matt, hope to bring the Twist to the RCCR fun fly next month if I can keep it in one piece.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Matt Kirsch

It's a game of Watts, Joe. You have to spin a certain size propeller at a certain RPM to generate enough thrust and speed to fly the airplane the way you want it to fly. It takes a certain number of Watts to turn that propeller at that RPM.

Typical 550 brushed motors just can't handle enough Watts to turn the right size prop fast enough to fly your typical 5-6lb aerobatic .40-size ARF. The most robust 550 type motor I know of is the Kyosho Endoplasma, and it tops out at 400 Watts (10 cells at 40 Amps), with about 55-60% efficiency. It makes a GREAT 3D power system for a 3lb airplane like the Gary Wright E3D, but is only adequate for a 5lb, .40-size trainer, let alone an aerobatic plane that size. The 550 power systems are much more suited to .25-sized planes.

Maybe we can figure something out with that motor? Can you post a pic? Weight? Dimensions? Perhaps someone can identify it.

I suspect that it's a "Speed 700" style motor. Hobby Lobby handles these, along with the gearboxes to fit them. They're not very popular because the gear to fit them makes them not much less expensive than brushless motors. An AXi 4120/14 with ESC combo from Hobby Lobby is about the same price as a high-end .63-.70 4-stroke engine, and is a perfect for the typical .46-size sport planes with 14 or 16 cells and a 13x8 or 12x8 prop, respectively.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:55 PM
kwiktsi

Good idea- I will take a pic tomorrow and post it- hopefully someone can identify it. Thanks for your help!!
Joe
ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

It's a game of Watts, Joe. You have to spin a certain size propeller at a certain RPM to generate enough thrust and speed to fly the airplane the way you want it to fly. It takes a certain number of Watts to turn that propeller at that RPM.

Typical 550 brushed motors just can't handle enough Watts to turn the right size prop fast enough to fly your typical 5-6lb aerobatic .40-size ARF. The most robust 550 type motor I know of is the Kyosho Endoplasma, and it tops out at 400 Watts (10 cells at 40 Amps), with about 55-60% efficiency. It makes a GREAT 3D power system for a 3lb airplane like the Gary Wright E3D, but is only adequate for a 5lb, .40-size trainer, let alone an aerobatic plane that size. The 550 power systems are much more suited to .25-sized planes.

Maybe we can figure something out with that motor? Can you post a pic? Weight? Dimensions? Perhaps someone can identify it.

I suspect that it's a "Speed 700" style motor. Hobby Lobby handles these, along with the gearboxes to fit them. They're not very popular because the gear to fit them makes them not much less expensive than brushless motors. An AXi 4120/14 with ESC combo from Hobby Lobby is about the same price as a high-end .63-.70 4-stroke engine, and is a perfect for the typical .46-size sport planes with 14 or 16 cells and a 13x8 or 12x8 prop, respectively.